Windows 10: File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive

Discus and support File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am trying to backup several different Windows computers to a single Windows computer by sharing the drives of the target computers and accessing them... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ronak Dhakan, Jun 5, 2023.

1. File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive

I am trying to backup several different Windows computers to a single Windows computer by sharing the drives of the target computers and accessing them from the backup computer. But I am running into a file access permission issue. Setup:The target computers have a Windows administrator account which was created as a local account and then converted by signing in with a Microsoft account.This administrator account is part of the administrator group.The D drive of target computer is shared with this Administrator account with read only permission so that the backup computer can use the tar

:)

Ronak Dhakan, Jun 5, 2023

2. File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive

I am trying to backup several different Windows computers to a single Windows computer by sharing the drives of the target computers and accessing them from the backup computer. But I am running into a file access permission issue.

Setup:

The target computers have a Windows administrator account which was created as a local account and then converted by signing in with a Microsoft account.

This administrator account is part of the administrator group.

File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive 5A7%2bEsfRVx3hf6cUi527Gi407KIKBMoiU%2f3EwEgL1%2fSEepFbJr%2bOznB2NV%2f%2fEA2zIZFGjoLSPJ6HhUZuc%3d.png

The D drive of target computer is shared with this Administrator account with read only permission so that the backup computer can use the target computer's administrator account credentials to read files to backup. [*** Email address is removed for privacy *** in the below image is the same administrator account shown above]

File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive g6U5NSl%2fsI3wredZgoETChh61PSp0bce83t1wcNhoKGEEI7EWrkYmd2d44wEAtNgoc%2fmVpcnY6%2bUPPrOxPdUgtk%3d.png

For any file created on the local computer the security permissions are :

File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive bjgJPJFLll7u6jyZg%2fjfzzsmSvGJ5Jlc4qm974NAsn7EUOAV%2bRW04EnLzK0uhV%2bNCHD2eLXI%2bIZ10MqyPlnpA%3d.png

For any file downloaded by OneDrive or from the internet the file security permissions are different as :

File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive ZxXTi89wEKKI0UbFqk9U0HLxZxHvfR9IjGHhLJaO5syZ79Y9bUX9uFoawLAvsDM%2baDBDhB6WFkz%2fo3PPujiG9v80o%3d.png

Backup computer:

Windows 10

Local administrator account

No Microsoft Account

No OneDrive

No AzureAD account

Target computer:

Windows 11

Local administrator account converted to Microsoft-account-sign-in administrator account.

D drive shared with above administrator account with read only permission.

Users have an AzureAD joined account but this is not used for sharing and backup.

The target computers have OneDrive on them. The computers are connected over VPN.

Problem:

The files downloaded by users from the internet or synchronized by OneDrive to target computers have different permissions than all other files created on the local computer. Even though the Administrator group is appearing in both cases, the files downloaded from internet / OneDrive are not accessible to backup computer with administrator account credentials when browsing the network folder. All other files are accessible and being backed up.

Requested result:

How can I access the files from backup computer so that they can be backed up?

Work around:

For a downloaded file I can inherit the permissions from the folder that it belongs to but this needs to be done every time a file is downloaded on any target computer by any user.

Actions tried:

I tried giving full permissions to the administrator account, but that did not help.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Ronak Dhakan, Jun 5, 2023
  3. Juhn Jac Win User
    File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive

Hi Ronak Dhakan

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that this situation is difficult, and it might be affecting your business let’s work on this together as team to get to the bottom of this.

For me to better understand the issue, I’d like to ask a few questions:

1. What kind of OneDrive you're using right now? is OneDrive for Personal or Business?
    2. You mentioned that one of the device is connected to a VPN, have you tried disconnecting it and connect to a local connection and see if it will allow you to access the backup computer?
    Please allow me to consult your case to our internal teams for their suggestions and recommendations about the issue and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

We look forward to your reply.

Sincerely

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Juhn Jac, Jun 5, 2023
  4. File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive

OneDrive won't synchronize a folder with a large number of files

OneDrive won't synchronize or upload a folder that contains a large number of files. This problem is persistent, and other people have reported it. What happens is that OneDrive spends a couple of days working (with lots of disk activity but no usage
    of the Internet at all), and then reports that all files and folders are up to date. They are not: the folders are present on OneDrive but the folders are all empty.

Others have reported the same problem. Someone has offered answers that go off onto irrelevancies. Just to be clear:

• The issue is not the size of files, the issue is the number of files.
    • The issue is not internet connection speed; the issue is the number of files.
    • The issue is not speed of upload; OneDrive doesn't upload the files at all.

JohnO'Donnell9, Jun 5, 2023
Thema:

File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive

1. File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive - Similar Threads - File permissions issue

2. File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive: I am trying to backup several different Windows computers to a single Windows computer by sharing the drives of the target computers and accessing them from the backup computer. But I am running into a file access permission issue. Setup:The target computers have a Windows...
  3. File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File permissions issue for files downloaded from internet / synchronized by OneDrive: I am trying to backup several different Windows computers to a single Windows computer by sharing the drives of the target computers and accessing them from the backup computer. But I am running into a file access permission issue. Setup:The target computers have a Windows...
  4. File Explorer downloads 32 extra files from Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer downloads 32 extra files from Onedrive: Hello,Repeatable issue whereas when double clicking a photograph in WIN10 File Explorer and it's downloaded from onedrive and viewable, an additional 32 sequential files are also downloaded to a local copy from onedrive when not commanded. Been like this for over a month and...
  5. File Explorer downloads 32 extra files from Onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer downloads 32 extra files from Onedrive: Hello,Repeatable issue whereas when double clicking a photograph in WIN10 File Explorer and it's downloaded from onedrive and viewable, an additional 32 sequential files are also downloaded to a local copy from onedrive when not commanded. Been like this for over a month and...
  6. Downloading .PST file from OneDrive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Downloading .PST file from OneDrive: When I try to download a copy of my outlook.pst file, I get an error saying the download was stop because this file could damage my Surface. Is there a way how to get this .pst file from OneDrive to my Surface? Thank you. 182395
  7. Issue synchronizing files in win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue synchronizing files in win10: I recently sync a huge amount of data and I can see in Windows 10 SO a circle green with a green check inside for all the folders that are correctly sync. The issue is that inside one of that folders with the green check, there is one with a red circle with a red cross that...
  8. File Permission Issue Moving File from XP to 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File Permission Issue Moving File from XP to 10: I have a Windows 10 pc Dell Inspiron and an old XP Dell 8400. I was moving my music files over from the XP to the 10. About 90% of them worked, but the other 10% failed with a message of not having administrator permission to move some of the files. There were a few...
  9. Backup fails to backup files that are in a folder synchronized with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup fails to backup files that are in a folder synchronized with OneDrive: Windows Backup seems to be working but it simply skips all files that are in a folder that synchronizes with OneDrive. All other files are backed up normally. I have reproduced this problem in three different laptops (all Windows 10 and latest Windows version). This problem...
  10. Downloading files from the Internet.

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloading files from the Internet.: I would be very grateful if someone could advise me if it is considered safe to download OCX files from ocxDump.com website. If not is there a safe free website from which OCX files can be obtained. Thanks 64341