Windows 10: File Permissions on photos

Discus and support File Permissions on photos in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I am not too tech savy. I have a few thousand pictures that I got from a vacation with friends and they all show the stock image icon in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mifit, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Mifit Win User

File Permissions on photos

So I am not too tech savy. I have a few thousand pictures that I got from a vacation with friends and they all show the stock image icon in the folders. When I open them I get a message saying I don't have permission to view the file. I mess with the permissions and they work, but after every reset I have to fix them again, and if the folder has sub folders it gives me an ACL error. Is there anyway to strip the permissions so i no longer get these errors and will not get them again if I change computers?

As I said I'm not too tech savy and not sure if my request is that clear, I want to strip all permissions if possible so they are open to any user and any computer..

:)

Mifit, Dec 24, 2017

2. Pictures, photos, etc. won't open in Windows 10 since the May 2017 update

Photos won't work for me either. The program opens fine but it gives me a "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again." message.

I've checked permissions and they look fine. The files are not corrupt. They open just fine with every other program I open them with.

Photos is broken not my pictures.

kennethsayles, Dec 24, 2017
  3. KerryFina Win User
    Windows 10 Photos Permissions Error

Thanks for your help.

It appears to be an issue with downloaded photos. I can edit photos from an SD Card, but photos I download from my Google Photos account or from Flickr are throwing the error. I can edit the downloaded photos in SnagIt and in Photoshop Elements.

I am logged in as an Administrator and I have all permissions on the file. The only permission that doesn't have a check is "Special Permissions."

Other thoughts?

KerryFina, Dec 24, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hello, @Mifit. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

Are you copying/transferring these into your default Pictures folder?

Are these individual files or folders that you copied/transferred? Where did you copy/transfer these files or folders from?

What exactly do you mean by “after every reset I have to fix them again”? “Reset” meaning what? Reboot perhaps?

The program that the OS uses to import files may be corrupt, but not likely.

In case you don't know already, you're getting the ACL error because the security descriptor information associated with the pic file and/or folder (objects) is not compatible with the OS. You may be able to use a command line to import the files.

Tony K, Dec 24, 2017
  5. Mifit Win User
    I'll try to clarify;

I copied them into a folder on my C drive i use to organize my photos, the full address for one paticular is "C:\Pictures\2017"

They are individual files I copied off my friends SD Card and some I copied off my phone directly into the 2017 folder.

By reset I mean reboot. Every time I reboot the computer I have to change the permissions again.

I just used File Explorer to import them.

The whole ACL thing confuses me as these file have only ever been on a fairly new Nikon and my computer and every thread to fix ACL errors give me steps that I then meet and error "failed to enumerate objects in the container access is denied" and every thread to fix that error just sends me back to ACL errors.

Mifit, Dec 24, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    What are the permission on the pictures folder as any new folders will inherit permission from that

Samuria, Dec 24, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Here's a tutorial on the subject: Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Objects in Windows User Accounts Tutorials

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Permissions on photos - Similar Threads - File Permissions photos

2. Windows 10 Photos Permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Photos Permission: I opened some of my own photos in Photos and I get the warning that I don't have permission to use the file. I have tried a bunch of the permission changes as shown in the discussion on this. Still I get the same message. I pull the photos into Google Photos they work fine....
  3. Windows 10 Photos Permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Photos Permission: I opened some of my own photos in Photos and I get the warning that I don't have permission to use the file. I have tried a bunch of the permission changes as shown in the discussion on this. Still I get the same message. I pull the photos into Google Photos they work fine....
  4. File permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File permissions: Hello i have a problem where when i open a certain program is says vcruntime140.dll cant be found i found a method to fix it but i dont have file permissions the box is greyed my user is already administrator...
  5. Permission needed to view photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission needed to view photos: Anytime I try to open a photo from files, it says "Class not registered", and anytime I try to view a photo in the Photos app, it says I don't have permission to view it even though it is my photo. I've tried giving the file Full Permissions, I've tried doing a clean boot,...
  6. File permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File permissions: hello,I am trying to create files in the python folder in the screen shot at the end of this question. However, when I try to you can guess what happensand when I click continue now I have already tried to fix this first by applying the below method directly to the folder...
  7. File Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Permissions: I need help. A few months ago, since my friends were using my PC, I made a separate guest account for them in my PC and denied them permissions to some of the files in my PC. But, now even though I'm logged in through my administrator account, I'm not able to access or...
  8. File Permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File Permissions: I'm trying to write a python script to rename and copy some files from one directory to another. My files are stored in C:\DATA\subfolders When I work on these files with other apps they can be opened and modified. When I try to run my python script which is located in...
  9. file permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file permissions: I cant access a photo folder or the photos It tells me i do not have permission it was copied to a drive so that i could open it on a new win 10 PC i have tried all avenues which the pC recommends Moved from: Unknown/other / Windows 10 / Microsoft 365 Family...
  10. File Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Permissions: Hi I need some help. For many years I've been using windows 7. My standard method of backing up my laptop was to connect the laptop's SSD as a data drive on a fairly powerful and versatile multi-disk desktop. I would take two types of backup, a disk clone onto a...