Windows 10: File permissions to delete file

Discus and support File permissions to delete file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I keep having the issue of not being able to delete files without permissions. I looked up many tutorials and none of them worked for me. [img] 87463 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scoka, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I keep having the issue of not being able to delete files without permissions. I looked up many tutorials and none of them worked for me.

File permissions to delete file [​IMG]

:)

Scoka, Jun 23, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jun 23, 2017
  3. Permission to delete file

Hi David,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you, as per your query.

If you want to clean up the folder, please follow the below link on Free up drive space in Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/free-up-drive-space

Note: Deleting Windows.old system maintenance task deletes Windows.old and the option to revert to previous operating system will be disable.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 23, 2017
  4. Hydrate Win User

This seems to be someone else's folder on a shared network or an old backup. Why are you attempting to delete this folder and what methods have you already attempted?

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017
  5. Scoka Win User
    1. this is from my Steam folder
    2. Some of the files were incorrect, and I figured reinstalling it would fix the problem
    3. I have tried messing with the security properties to allow permissions to delete it. I have tired: Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive? - Windows 10 Forums . And I have tried finding a previous version to restore, but there was no other previous versions.

Scoka, Jun 23, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    pepanee, Jun 23, 2017
  7. Scoka Win User
    I should have said earlier that I had already tried this, sorry.

Scoka, Jun 23, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

You've done the manual version of it too? Going to the Security tab and all?

If you do the manual version of it correctly, it is guaranteed that you will remove that folder

pepanee, Jun 23, 2017
  9. essenbe Win User
    When you are trying this, do you have Steam closed? Completely? If you close steam it is still open in the system tray. You have to close it from there. If it is open in any way, you will not be allowed to alter any files.

essenbe, Jun 23, 2017
  10. spunk Win User
    Go to Start/Search and type Services.msc and press enter. In the Services app, scroll down to Steam, and double click it. Stop the service. Right click the TaskBar and start the Task Manager, click the More Details drop down arrow, and under the Processes tab, look for Steam. If it is still going, highlight it and End the Process. Now you should be able to delete the game folder.

spunk, Jun 23, 2017
  11. louhoang Win User
    You can try the steps below

1. Right click the file to that you don’t have permission to access. Vlick Properties.
    2. Go to Security tab and select Edit.
    3. Select Add button
    4. Type Everyone then select Check Names. Click OK to save changes.
    5. you will be back in the previous window, under Group or users names, choose Everyone then check mark Full control.
    you can refer more: Fix: You dont currently have permission to access this folder in Windows 10

louhoang, Jun 23, 2017
  12. Scoka Win User
    I appologize for not responding earlier
    Yes, I have steam completely closed
    I have manually tried to edit the security tab
    I had just tried giving access to Everyone and it did not work.

I apologize for taking up so much time

Scoka, Jun 23, 2017
  13. pepanee Win User

Do the same process for other names. You've done it for Everyone, now also do the same thing for those:

Administrators

AND
    If you have a user name on the computer, type in that user name. For example, my user name is "Admin"; look at the picture to see what I mean

pepanee, Jun 23, 2017
  14. Scoka Win User

It gave me a security error on giving me security clearance.

Scoka, Jun 23, 2017
  15. pepanee Win User
    What did the Continue button do? Did it give you a different error box?

Do the whole owner thing on the main folder that you want to delete (which contains all the files)

If that doesn't work, do the owner thing on the Steam folder itself.

pepanee, Jun 23, 2017
Thema:

1. File permissions to delete file - Similar Threads - File permissions delete

2. administrator permission to delete files/folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    administrator permission to delete files/folders: I have an Acer Predator laptop running Win 10. TI've had it for several years, and have manipulated files all over this machine with no issues. There is a folder on my desktop that I want to delete and suddenly I am apparently not allowed to do so. Windows is telling me that...
  3. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  4. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  5. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Permissions to move/delete files

Permissions to move/delete files: I am logged in as administrator on my computer, but when I need to move or delete folders/files it says I need administrator permission and does nothing. Also two other messages when I try to do something with a file/folder: 1 the item is no longer located in C: 2 the item is...
  7. Deleted all permissions for a file and now unable to delete file

Deleted all permissions for a file and now unable to delete file: Hi all, I recently ran into some issues with google chrome not working correctly and had to do a rather complicated uninstall. One of the suggestions involved deleting all users with permission to access chrome in the security settings. I tried a few other things too and...
  8. Delete File - Permission Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete File - Permission Issue: Hi, I've read various forums, but I can't seem to delete file due to ownership permissions. I've right-clicked on the .exe, selected Properties, went to the Security tab, and clicked Advanced. However, the Permissions tab and Audit and Effective Access states that I don't...
  9. Administrator permission needed to delete file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator permission needed to delete file: I am the administrator I am trying to delete a file, and it says I need administrator permission to delete the file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-permission-needed-to-delete-file/eefb5972-37ec-455e-9ed5-ee37c18ce6ba
  10. Permission to delete file and folder

Permission to delete file and folder: [IMG]i want to delete an app from my laptop but it requires permission from system and administrator but I can't do it. Please tell me how to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-delete-file-and-folder/3d51b993-bd01-4440-8d32-ac348254491d"