Windows 10: File permissions totally messed up

Discus and support File permissions totally messed up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was transferring data from my ssd to another computer, so I plugged in my ssd to another computer using an external drive. When I tried to access the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Owennn, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Owennn Win User

File permissions totally messed up

I was transferring data from my ssd to another computer, so I plugged in my ssd to another computer using an external drive. When I tried to access the ssd, it gave me "you don't currently have permission to access this folder" so I clicked continue to get permanent access. Once I was finished and I put the ssd back in my system, the file permissions were totally messed up. Zoom threw me an error code "the application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000022" and the control panel shortcut stopped working. Many of the files in the downloads are unable to be accessed and they disappeared once I

:)

Owennn, Aug 21, 2021

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Aug 21, 2021
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

Try this, it may help: Tweaking.com's all in one repair

EDIT:

A quote from the Website page... and, it is some good advice:

Spoiler

95Viper, Aug 21, 2021
  4. Scooze__ Win User

File Ownership, and Permissions

So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files.

The problem however is that even though these things seem to be true, I'm still met with a message suggesting I need permission from a user that technically doesn't exist anymore. These are Windows.old files after I performed a recovery of the system.
    They are taking up a massive chunk of my OS drive, and I want that space.

I've done everything I know to do to take ownership, and subsequently add all the permissions to the files that I need. Beyond that I removed every other credential so that my primary account (which is also an administrator) would be the only one with full
    control of the files (System, admins as a group, and the account itself all have "Full Control" listed.)

Does anyone know why these ghost permissions are still in effect, and how I could remove it? This account it's saying I need permission from is NOT listed on any of it's permissions. Besides, the account literally doesn't exist anymore.

Help?

Scooze__, Aug 21, 2021
Thema:

1. File permissions totally messed up - Similar Threads - File permissions totally

2. Windows SERVICES totally messed up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows SERVICES totally messed up.: I was trying to uninstall oracle database because of which I had to disable few services and in hurry I disabled many of the services. After that my screen went totally blank. Nothing is working on the laptop. I wanna reinstall my windows and don't know how to do that on this...
  3. Windows SERVICES totally messed up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows SERVICES totally messed up.: I was trying to uninstall oracle database because of which I had to disable few services and in hurry I disabled many of the services. After that my screen went totally blank. Nothing is working on the laptop. I wanna reinstall my windows and don't know how to do that on this...
  4. Totally messed up pc, need help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Totally messed up pc, need help!: Ok, this is my first post here, and I wish it wasn't going to be so long and confusing. Long story trying to make shorter. Originally, I had drive c, a ssd, and drive d, internal HD named mass storage. I also use aoemi tools, such as one key boot partition backup and...
  5. totally messed up win10 64bit settings

in Windows 10 Support
    totally messed up win10 64bit settings: I use Chrome as my default browser. I run Win 10 Home (up to date on updates) version build 17618,1000. My winver result does not let me copy any text on that window. I got into either preferences or display settings on the desktop. Changes colors and everything was so bad....
  6. Gmail totally messed up

in Browsers and Email
    Gmail totally messed up: In the last week or so every time I open my Gmail, it seems to appear different. This is what my Inbox box looks like now. [img] It seems to be "starred" what ever that means. I have no idea how it got "starred". I also can NOT see my "Trash" label to select it to...
  7. Microsoft Account Totally Messed Up.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Account Totally Messed Up.: I continually get cards saying my account needs fixing. When I try to go through the procedure it says it has sent me an email to verify my account. It never arrives. Email is correct. There are so many problems with my MS accounts I can neither sign in from another computer...
  8. Computer's permissions messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer's permissions messed up: I downloaded Cisco WebEx Meetings for an interview and now my computer's permissions are all messed up. I am unable to access things that require administrator access like command prompt. I was also unable to run an executable I downloaded, update one of my games, and can't...
  9. My Windows Update is totally messed up!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My Windows Update is totally messed up!: For a cuppla days my Windows Update has been useless! Clciking on Update and security it shows Your device is missing important security and quality fixes. But clicking on Check for updates just sits there for 15 to 20 minutes with the dots running across the screen then...
  10. messed up permissions windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    messed up permissions windows 10: Hello all, Dave here. I have done something that I have done before, with windows 7 on down. I had a laptop that had a broken power port, and the battery went dead. I ordered a new power socket. While I was waiting for parts, the owner wanted files off of it. I removed hard...