Windows 10: File permissions

Discus and support File permissions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; hello,I am trying to create files in the python folder in the screen shot at the end of this question. However, when I try to you can guess what... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MatthewB123123, Jul 12, 2021.

1. File permissions

hello,I am trying to create files in the python folder in the screen shot at the end of this question. However, when I try to you can guess what happensand when I click continue now I have already tried to fix this first by applying the below method directly to the folder then to its parent folder and then to my C drive non of which workedfunnily enough it granted rights to the windows apps folder but not the one I actually wanted"For C drive access to full rights:Right-click on your C Drive, and choose Properties.Go to Security tab.Click Advanced, then Change Permissions.Highlight the user,

:)

MatthewB123123, Jul 12, 2021

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jul 12, 2021
  3. Reset Windows 10 file permissions to default

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you receiving any error message while accessing any files?
    I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Startup troubleshooter.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

Method 2: If you are facing issues accessing files, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 12, 2021
  4. File permissions

Windows 10 File Permission Issue

There is a possibility that the files that you are trying to open are corrupted. Just to follow up, please answer the following questions:

• Which application are you using to open the photos?
    • What is the file type of the photos that you're trying to open?

We suggest that you check the permissions of the folder where the photos that you're trying to view are located at. To do so, follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on the folder and select Properties. A pop-up box will appear.

2. Go to the Security tab.

3. Under the Security tab, check if all the options under
    Permissions for SYSTEM are allowed/checked.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Lizette Ags, Jul 12, 2021
Thema:

File permissions

1. File permissions - Similar Threads - File permissions

2. Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller: For anyone who gets stuck with not being able to Delete a Folder or File due to an oddball User such as S-1-5 etc, or even TrustedInstaller, here is the process to follow. You will typically come across it when you see a User called S-1-5- xxxx etc. or something similar to...
  3. Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller: For anyone who gets stuck with not being able to Delete a Folder or File due to an oddball User such as S-1-5 etc, or even TrustedInstaller, here is the process to follow. You will typically come across it when you see a User called S-1-5- xxxx etc. or something similar to...
  4. Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I scan a file but not save in default folder in document /My scan, msg show no permission...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I scan a file but not save in default folder in document /My scan, msg show no permission...: Screen shot Attached https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-scan-a-file-but-not-save-in-default-folder-in/0625891b-b953-4668-8ad1-bb235ef997ec
  6. I scan a file but not save in default folder in document /My scan, msg show no permission...

I scan a file but not save in default folder in document /My scan, msg show no permission...: Screen shot Attached https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-scan-a-file-but-not-save-in-default-folder-in/0625891b-b953-4668-8ad1-bb235ef997ec
  7. Showing you don't have permission to view this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Showing you don't have permission to view this file: Hi. I am getting the error "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" on the Windows explorer while trying to view photos in an internal Local disk D. Even the windows explorer does not show the thumbnails of the images....
  8. Showing you don't have permission to view this file

Showing you don't have permission to view this file: Hi. I am getting the error "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" on the Windows explorer while trying to view photos in an internal Local disk D. Even the windows explorer does not show the thumbnails of the images....
  9. How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?: How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-file-that-needs-administrator/e01eecd7-57b2-4d8c-9e92-31d4870533fc
  10. How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?

How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission?: How do I delete a file that needs administrator permission? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-file-that-needs-administrator/e01eecd7-57b2-4d8c-9e92-31d4870533fc