Windows 10: File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]

Discus and support File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME] in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently bought a pair of new laptops with Windows 10. When I set up file & printer sharing between them, it worked fine. A couple of days later, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Harry88, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Harry88 Win User

File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]

I recently bought a pair of new laptops with Windows 10. When I set up file & printer sharing between them, it worked fine. A couple of days later, the sharing stopped working (possibly following a Windows or driver update), although I have not changed any network or security settings, and both machines can still see each other in File Explorer > Network, but when I try to access one from the other, I get an error message: “Network error. Windows cannot access \\[NAME]. You do not have permission to access [NAME]."

I tried Settings > Network & Internet > Network Reset, but it did not help.

I also have an older pair of laptops with Windows 7 on which I have file & printer sharing set up in exactly the same way, and it still works fine on them, and when I compared the network and security settings on the old and new laptops, they were all the same, except for one difference: in C:\ Properties > Security, the permissions for the SYSTEM, Administrators, and Users groups were all the same; however, on the new laptops, the permissions for the Authenticated Users group were all blank, whereas on the old laptops, these were ticked: Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, Write.

When I ticked these and clicked on "Apply" on the new laptops, I got a warning message ("You are about to change permissions on the root directory of the startup disk. This can reduce the security of your computer and cause users to have problems accessing files. Do you want to continue?"), and when I clicked on "Continue", I got a series of error messages (“An error occurred while applying security information to: ...”) for the following folders:
    - C:\hiberfil.sys ["The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."]
    - C:\pagefile.sys ["The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."]
    - C:\Program Files ["Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."]
    - C:\Program Files (x86) ["Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."]
    - C:\Recovery ["Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."]
    - C:\swapfile.sys ["The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."]
    - C:\Windows ["Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."]

I then noted that the owner of C:\ is “TrustedInstaller”, and I gather that I may need to change the ownership in order to change the permissions? I also gather that there are a couple of ways to do this, but I am wondering what is the best way and whether this could cause other problems?

(It is unclear whether the blank C:\ permissions for the Authenticated Users group are the reason behind the file & printer sharing issue, but I want to confirm the permissions before investigating further.)

:)

Harry88, Dec 20, 2019
  2. JMartz65 Win User

Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers

Thank you for the Reply. However setting up and sharing the printer is not the issue, been doing that for 20 years. The issue is why all of the sudden there is no access to any of the 3 printers attached to that computer from other computers on the network.
    All the sharing settings have been checked and are correct. The printers are setup to be shared. But still received Access Denied errors.

If I try to setup one of the shared printers on another computer i get asked for a username and password to connect to the remote computer. Yet, the password sharing has been turned off on it. No changes have been made recently to this computer. This
    just started happening all of the sudden a few days ago.

And again, I can share files just fine between these computers, it's just the Printer sharing that is giving us issues. So I know the sharing settings are ok.

JMartz65, Dec 20, 2019
  3. Karen Her Win User
    turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Dec 20, 2019
  4. File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]

Home Network and shared printer access problems

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are having issue with accessing the files and printer within the network and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the error message you get, while accessing the file or the Printer using Windows 7 PC?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform all the steps in all the PC that are connected in the network as suggested by Roohi Taj on January 8th, 2019
    in this

As an additional information please refer the below articles:

File sharing over a network in Windows 10

Share files in File Explorer

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 20, 2019
Thema:

File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]

1. File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME] - Similar Threads - File printer sharing

2. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  3. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  4. cannot access a shared file/folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot access a shared file/folder: I am having a problem on my new laptop computer trying to access a shared folder on my desktop computer. Both computers are on a private network along with two other laptop computers. When I start Internet Explorer on the new laptop computer and try to search the network for...
  5. Displayed shared printer names

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Displayed shared printer names: Hello, I have a problem with shared network printer. We have one Ricoh IM C4500 printer and I made different shared printers each with a specific configuration to choose from when you want to print: Size A4 of A3, black or color print... I made 6 shared printers on my...
  6. File Sharing "Windows cannot access"

File Sharing "Windows cannot access": Problem: Only some clients cannot connect to Shared folder Configuration: My clients want to map network drive to connect the folder which is on my computer. One of my clients can connect, however, other 2 clients cannot connect by getting "Windows cannot access" error....
  7. Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME"

Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME": I recently bought a pair of new laptops with Windows 10. When I set up file & printer sharing between them, it worked fine. A couple of days later, I noticed that the networking was no longer working: each machine can see the other in File Explorer, but when I click on the...
  8. Cannot Turn ON File and Printer Sharing

Cannot Turn ON File and Printer Sharing: Hello, I have a network that is pretty simple. * ATT DSL model/router. * MyBook Live NAS attached by Ethernet to the router * 2 identical Dell M2800 laptops running Windows 10 (with update 1803) that connect to the network via wireless. Both are typically within 10 feet of...
  9. Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers

Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers: I have a small office network with 4 work stations. One of them (we'll call it #2) has 2 printers connected to it that are used by the other Work stations. I can access shared Files and Folders on #2 from #1 just like normal. But the Printers have all the sudden become...
  10. Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

in Windows 10 Support
    Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!: Hi there Windows build 1607 Pro X64 GB edition. You CAN access these files when a Samba drive is mounted as network drive but Windows truncates the names !!!! Music will play though with VLC etc. But as VLC uses file explorer to browse files you get the ones with the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after upgrading our router some printing does not work