Windows 10: File & Printer Sharing with Windows 10 is broken...HELP needed

Discus and support File & Printer Sharing with Windows 10 is broken...HELP needed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Please help as I'm losing the will to live. My scenario... In my business I have a network of 9 PC's on a Peer to Peer basis. They are not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thejoycemaster, Nov 29, 2018.

1. File & Printer Sharing with Windows 10 is broken...HELP needed

Please help as I'm losing the will to live.

My scenario...

In my business I have a network of 9 PC's on a Peer to Peer basis. They are not connected via a Server or use a Domain. With Windows 7, everything could be seen, shared and accessed with no problem whatsoever (apprently using SMB). I have never used the "Homegroup" facility, which I believe has been removed anyway from W10. We don't have individual users or PC's with passwords, so most are set to a user called "USER" with no passwords.

I have tried the adding "SMB 1.0" functions which works on some PC's but not on others.

I have ensured that services "UPnP Device Host", "DNS Client", "SSDP Discovery", "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discover Resource Publication" are all set to Automatic Start and are running.

I have each PC set to share with NO Password-Protected Sharing.

I have manually shared each "User" folder on the network, adding "everyone with the ability to read/write".

I have even attempted resetting a PC, creating a user as our Office365 account and leaving the PC Password-Protected, but when attempting to login using the Office365 credentials (both password and PC required 6 digit Pin Code) it states that Password is incorrect.

Regardless of what I do, some connect with no problems, other PC's are either visible one minute, but ask for a password even though one shouldnt be required, then the next minute disappear entirely.

All I want to know is please can someone advise what is the best way in 2018 (almost 2019) for a business in my situation to be able to see each PC, share files, share Printers. If I need to add specific Users with passwords then so be it but when I have attempted this, this fails too so I just dont know how to proceed without going to the extremities of purchasing a Server etc.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

:)

thejoycemaster, Nov 29, 2018
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Nov 29, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Connect to a shared printer located on a 32bit windows from windows 10 (64 bit)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Window Key, and type Network and sharing.

• Click on Change Advanced sharing settings.

• Select all network.

• Under file and printer sharing.

• Turn on file and printer sharing.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Nov 29, 2018
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

File & Printer Sharing with Windows 10 is broken...HELP needed

Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

Thema:

File & Printer Sharing with Windows 10 is broken...HELP needed

1. File & Printer Sharing with Windows 10 is broken...HELP needed - Similar Threads - File Printer Sharing

2. Windows 11 File Sharing BROKEN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Sharing BROKEN: Hi All,Really at my whits end with this one!I have a micro PC which is operating as my file & print server. This is a Windows 11 Pro machine. File & Print Sharing is really basic and is just using Windows built in tools.I have set within Network & Sharing CentreThe Network to...
  3. Windows 11 File Sharing BROKEN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Sharing BROKEN: Hi All,Really at my whits end with this one!I have a micro PC which is operating as my file & print server. This is a Windows 11 Pro machine. File & Print Sharing is really basic and is just using Windows built in tools.I have set within Network & Sharing CentreThe Network to...
  4. Windows 10 needs DNS Client for file and printer sharing WHY!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 needs DNS Client for file and printer sharing WHY!: Ok so I don't expect to get a reply from MS just posting because I'm mad about this.Lets get one thing clear you don't need DNS Client enabled for DNS to work and in win xp and 7 you could disable it and file and printer sharing would WORK! But no not win 10 even by...
  5. NO File or Printer Sharing in Windows 10

NO File or Printer Sharing in Windows 10: Recently, I purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and my wife also has a Windows 10 laptop (see specs below.) However, after following EVERY known tutorial on file and printer sharing, Windows 10 refuses to cooperate. FYI... each laptop gives a different error message when...
  6. Is File Sharing Just Broken?

Is File Sharing Just Broken?: I have never been able to get this feature working, going back to Windows 7 and on numerous different machines. Recently I built a new desktop and thought I'd give it another shot - trying to make files available to my laptop. Shockingly, it worked .... briefly. A couple of...
  7. File and Printer Sharing

File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  8. Help! File sharing broken, have tried everything!

Help! File sharing broken, have tried everything!: File sharing is broken on my “Theater” computer which is my home theater and multimedia server machine with all my music and videos on it. It’s been broken for a couple of weeks now, and I have spent countless hours troubleshooting with no success. I consider myself to be...
  9. Windows 10 File and Printer Sharing not working

Windows 10 File and Printer Sharing not working: Hi All, My Windows 10 is not listening on TCP Port 445 for SMB no matter what. I have to go into the network adaptor setting to disable "File and Printer Sharing" and reenable it for it to work. The issue is whenever I reboot the PC, I have to repeat the same process. I...
  10. Broken File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Broken File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks: I have Windows 10 Pro 1703 Build 15063.483. About 2 weeks ago, after restarting my PC, I got 0x80070035 when accessed shared folder. It was fine the day before I restarted my PC. I tried most of things mentioned about 0x80070035, like checking advance sharing services, TCP/IP...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file sharing is broken

2. services.msc file and printer sharing is not listed

3. printer sharing on windows 10 is broken.