Windows 10: File properites taking minutes to appear

Discus and support File properites taking minutes to appear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a modern Windows 10 desktop (A Micro Center Powerspec). When I right click on a file, all the menu items immediate appear but then when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by geepondy, Dec 29, 2017.

1. geepondy Win User

File properites taking minutes to appear

Hi, I have a modern Windows 10 desktop (A Micro Center Powerspec). When I right click on a file, all the menu items immediate appear but then when I choose "properties", it will take minutes for the information to appear. Upon doing research, I downloaded and ran a program called "ShellEXView" and disabled all the Context Menu processes but that did not solve the problem. I then tried running Windows 10 in safe mode and then right clicked a file and chose properites, it just hung or at least after 10 minutes I gave up and rebooted the PC.

Not sure but I think when I first got the PC before I installed any programs I did not have this problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:)

geepondy, Dec 29, 2017

2. File access denied.

Is there a security tab when you view any of the folders properites?

What has happened when you've tried to take ownership?

Keith A. Miller, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Removing properties bar.

I am sure there is a simple fix but I can't find it. When I go to Windows explorer the properites column is on the right side of the screen leaving only space for the file name in the middle window, unless I fully expand the window, then the date, type
    and size appear. Is there a way to hide the properties column or adjust the size of the columns?

DavidC75243, Dec 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, those steps are reasonable..

Clearly a clean boot won't help as you've tried Safe Mode.
    Shellexview doesn't show all shell extensions these days. Also try Shellmenuview, also by NirSofer, being careful not to disable any MS extensions.

Try creating a new user for test purposes. If you don't have the problem with a new user. then use screenshots to compare differences between the two accounts.

Also consider using Sysinternals Process Monitor (free from MS) to capture a log of all activity. This is not easy to use as the log records everything. Best put your PC into a minimal state (don't know if that program works in Safe Mode- easy to check).

Then with Process Monitor capturing activity, note the time and click Properties. Stop capture, and inspect the log after the time you noted. You might be able to find a clue.

You could try running Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) to check your drive, then if ok

From an admin command prompt
    chkdsk C: /scan
    (or whichever drive letter is of interest)

dalchina, Dec 29, 2017
  5. Worth running a hard drive test with seatools just incase *Smile

kingtez1984, Dec 29, 2017
  6. geepondy Win User
    OK, created new user and all works fine under new user. Before doing so, the problem occurred on both hard drives so don't think it's a hard drive issue. How would I use screenshots to compare the differences between the two current vs new user settings? What exactly am I looking for?
    Thanks for your help.

EDIT: For what it's worth, when I click on properties, a process called "Com Surrogate" sucks a lot of CPu and memory resources. Attempting to do research on Com Surrogate suggests it's a necessary Microsoft process. Screenshot shown below, have no idea why it posted twice.

geepondy, Dec 29, 2017
  7. geepondy Win User
    From post above, here are the properties of dll.host.exe, com surrogate when I do a right click file properties as seen thru Process Explorer.

File properites taking minutes to appear [​IMG]

geepondy, Dec 29, 2017
  8. geepondy Win User

geepondy, Dec 29, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Great- I would guess an incompatibility with a later version of Win 10... and you might find even find drivers related to Acronis running in Safe Mode in the case where that was a problem.

You might try using Macrium Reflect (free) - robust, reliable and focussed on its task. Many here use it.
    The paid version gets you a few more features including access to the forum and incremental updates. You can find a feature comparison chart quite readily.

dalchina, Dec 29, 2017
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Or go with Macrium reflect Premium which has all the bells and whistles you're used to with Acronis. It's what I switched to when I got tired of Acronis never, ever upgrading their code, always requiring me to buy a new version when a new OS came out. It was also buggy. Macrium is rock solid and for me, always works.

Ztruker, Dec 30, 2017
  11. geepondy Win User
    The premium version at $79 is expensive. My backup needs are relatively simple. Basically I just want to back up the C drive periodically (single partition containing the OS, program files, etc) and should something go amiss, be able to boot the system and restore the partition. I usually manually back up the data files. One thing I want to be able to do is that sooner rather than later I will buy a bigger SSD and I want to clone the contents of my current SSD (again the C drive) to the new SSD and make that my boot drive. Can I do all that with the Macrium Free? I know some SSDs come with cloning software if memory serves me correct.

geepondy, Dec 30, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    - Windows consists of several partitions created when installing Windows.
    Disk imaging programs such as Macrium offer an option to back up Windows (Backup, Backup windows) which selects all those partitions (4 for an EFI installation, not just C: ). E.g.

File properites taking minutes to appear [​IMG]

Cloning: (is available in free version)
    Cloning a disk - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

dalchina, Dec 31, 2017
  13. Ztruker Win User

SOunds like the free version is all you need and as dalchina said, includes cloning. I like the scheduling built into the premium version. They run specials where you can get it for $39 to $49 some times.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File properites taking minutes to appear - Similar Threads - File properites taking

2. In temp files, an .exe appearing every minute, is it a virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In temp files, an .exe appearing every minute, is it a virus?: hi, i was checking Temp folder for unwanted junk, i have found a folder in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Temp , which has random folders ' nsxxxxx.tmp' created everyminute and having shangri.exe file in all, I tried to open it but it gives me error, is it virus or potentially...
  3. In temp files, an .exe appearing every minute, is it a virus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In temp files, an .exe appearing every minute, is it a virus?: hi, i was checking Temp folder for unwanted junk, i have found a folder in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Temp , which has random folders ' nsxxxxx.tmp' created everyminute and having shangri.exe file in all, I tried to open it but it gives me error, is it virus or potentially...
  4. Sign in to windows takes minutes!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in to windows takes minutes!: Hi,I have windows 11 now but the problem occurred in windows 10 too.After fresh installation, windows sign's in instantly after i type password. After one week the welcome -text isi visible 2 minutes, and after months of use, the sign in takes over 10 minutes. I'm unable to...
  5. Sign in to windows takes minutes!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign in to windows takes minutes!: Hi,I have windows 11 now but the problem occurred in windows 10 too.After fresh installation, windows sign's in instantly after i type password. After one week the welcome -text isi visible 2 minutes, and after months of use, the sign in takes over 10 minutes. I'm unable to...
  6. Lock Screen Taking 1 Minute to appear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lock Screen Taking 1 Minute to appear: Hi!For some days my windows 10 PC is having a problem that when PC Boots up I get Windows Logo For 3 Seconds then a cursor Appears which lasts for 1 to 2 minutes then lock screen appears it usually lags a lot . When I click lock screen the PC shows Lock Screen Picture for 20...
  7. Nvidia control panel not launching or taking a couple of minutes to appear.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Nvidia control panel not launching or taking a couple of minutes to appear.: Since a couple of windows updates Nvidia control panel takes a couple minutes to launch. Already tried differents drivers and the issue remains submitted by /u/ahmlet [link] [comments]...
  8. Desktop takes minutes to appear when logging on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop takes minutes to appear when logging on: A couple of days ago I update my PC with version 2004. Since the updates been applied, whenever I turn my PC on and logon, I get a black screen (with cursor) and am stuck like that for ~4 minutes until the desktop appears (I timed it). I can ctrl+alt+del, I can open task...
  9. File keep appearing and taking up the memory of the PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File keep appearing and taking up the memory of the PC: Hi, .evtx file keep appearing and is take up the memory of the PC. Even after i delete the file, it will keep appearing. Sample File name : Application_AAA0FC69-83CC-0000-EFA5-A1AACC83D50 Location of the file : C:\Windows\Temp...
  10. This might take several minutes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This might take several minutes: I booted my hp laptop and it came up with a blank screen. Thought maybe there was an issue with my machine because I use an external docking station/monitor. It rebooted I got login screen. After login in, I am getting “hi” followed by “we’ve got some updates for your...