Windows 10: File properties and metadata

Discus and support File properties and metadata in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Microsoft, This is an important question that has bugged me for a long time. I understand there are ways to add metadata to office files by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aileen Zhang, Feb 24, 2021.

1. File properties and metadata

Hi, Microsoft, This is an important question that has bugged me for a long time. I understand there are ways to add metadata to office files by document properties in word, excel, access etc and pdf files e.g. by properties, keyword etc. Those are answers that keep show up when I googled it.

Problem with this way is:

1 I don't know how to add properties and metadata to other file types?

2 I always have to open the file first before edit property, some files are super big e.g. 1000 page long novel, this is too slow to open

However, is there an universal way to add metadata to ALL file types?

I am talking about any file type...can be image, to program, music files, file types that we never heard off. The universal way?

Do we use powershell, or another folder viewer program?

I am not sharing file e.g. using sharepoint, but would like to take in consideration of sharing this info online too just in case if we ever have to share file. However, primary I care more about on local computer.

What are best ways to add metadata details to non-office and non-pdf file?

:)

Aileen Zhang, Feb 24, 2021

2. Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an .mp4 file, I can edit the 'details' such as Title, Subtitle, Rating, Contributing Artists, Genre, Year, etc.

However, in Explorer, when I go to 'Add Columns', there are a number of columns that I can't find in the 'Details' window of the file properties. For example, there are columns for 'Episode number' and 'Season number' (useful for organising TV shows), but I can't figure out how to add these details to files.

Can anyone tell me how I can edit/add the following metadata to media files?

• #
    • Broadcast Date
    • Creators
    • Episode Name
    • Episode Number
    • Language
    • Season Number

Thank you for your help!

tjdickinson, Feb 24, 2021
  3. MP3 file property details

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are looking for an option to edit the Metadata of the mp3 files. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Were you able to make the changes in metadata with other details?
    Please provide a screenshot, when you are trying to edit the metadata.
    Please follow the steps mentioned in the
    screenshot
    posted by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

1. Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
    2. Browse the location of the songs you want to edit.
    3. Right-click a song, and select
      Properties. Click the Details tab.
    4. Everything you see in the "Details" tab is part of the metadata information, and you can quickly edit most of it by clicking the value field next to the property. Some of the information that you can update
      includes song title (not the file name), album name, artist, genre, publisher, mood, and much more.
    5. After updating the metadata information, click the
      Apply button.
    6. Click the Ok button.

However, you can also check in Microsoft Store, Apps for MP3 metadata editors and use the one that is suitable for you.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 24, 2021
  4. 1Kurgan1 Win User

File properties and metadata

Music Metadata grabber

Been working on sorting movies/tv shows/music and looking for something thats free and grabs metadata for my music files. I could do it all manually, but having something that helps would be nice. Anyone got a suggestion?

1Kurgan1, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

File properties and metadata

1. File properties and metadata - Similar Threads - File properties metadata

2. Word 'Document Properties' are not diplayed in File Explorer metadata

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word 'Document Properties' are not diplayed in File Explorer metadata: We are using a Word template to create Invoices. In the invoice there are Custom Properties, but when the document is saved and closed, they are not displayed in File Explorer.A previous question in this forum says the issue is FIXED but not for me ;I have also set Indexing...
  3. Word 'Document Properties' are not diplayed in File Explorer metadata

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word 'Document Properties' are not diplayed in File Explorer metadata: We are using a Word template to create Invoices. In the invoice there are Custom Properties, but when the document is saved and closed, they are not displayed in File Explorer.A previous question in this forum says the issue is FIXED but not for me ;I have also set Indexing...
  4. Word 'Document Properties' are not diplayed in File Explorer metadata

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Metadata not showing on File Explorer

Metadata not showing on File Explorer: Hello, metadata file propriety details are not showing on File Explorer. I have tried CHKDSK, SFCSCANONN and still nothing. I work with videos and I often need to check their lenght, width and height. Someone can help me?Thank you...
  6. Image File Metadata

Image File Metadata: In the past, whenever I added metadata tags, titles or notes to my photo files, the megabytes would increase by just a few tenths, which makes sense. Example: 8.5 MB to 8.8 MB. Now, the megabytes are significantly disappearing as soon as I add the data. Example: the photo...
  7. File Properties

File Properties: I would like to simply open a folder which contains music files MP3s and see the details of the music, such as artist and album. I currently only see details such as Date modified and Type. This used to change automatically, but no longer does. Now I know to go to...
  8. Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files: I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an .mp4 file, I can edit the 'details' such as Title, Subtitle, Rating, Contributing Artists, Genre, Year, etc. However, in...
  9. Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc.

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc.: I am running the current Windows 10 build or a desktop as admin. When I right click file ==> properties and click on the details tab, I cannot seem to change the rating 1-5 stars, genre and the like. I did extensive googling on this and the most common sulution is to use a...
  10. Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file

in Windows 10 Support
    Losing all metadata when editing a single property on an MP3 file: Hi All, I've downloaded an album, and I'm trying to edit the title tag of each file, however as soon as I edit it and click apply, the file is losing all of its metadata (title, artist, album etc.) To edit the title, I'm just right clicking on the file > Properties >...