Windows 10: File properties issue, Details automatically deleted.

Discus and support File properties issue, Details automatically deleted. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, apologies if in the wrong area. I've updated Windows to the latest version recently, and when changing file properties on mp3's (as I do) what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by devilish, Feb 16, 2018.

1. devilish Win User

File properties issue, Details automatically deleted.

Hi, apologies if in the wrong area.

I've updated Windows to the latest version recently, and when changing file properties on mp3's (as I do) what tends to happen is if I want to even capitalise a letter (i for I) or change a year in the file properties, ALL the information in the file is deleted when I click "apply" for no reason whatsoever, and I don't know why.

Is there a reason why this is happening? (Because it's really annoying, to say the least.)

Thanks!

:)

devilish, Feb 16, 2018

2. Files - Properties - Detail

Thanks Greg. Appreciate the quick response.

I went with the free "Mp3tag" program. It's easy to use and let me fill in the blanks on my podcast files.

MartyFaigin, Feb 16, 2018
  3. Files - Properties - Detail

Hi Marty - You'll need a program to do this. The best are listed here: 10 Best Tools to Tag MP3s and Edit Metadata I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you
    until this is resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, how are you trying to change the tags? What are you using?

Try mp3tag (free/donationware) and see if you can change the tags with that.

I can change tags in the Details Pane of explorer, and in Properties, Details sheet; in principle there shouldn't be a problem, but there was a thread recently reporting something very similar to your experience- you could have a look for that.

dalchina, Feb 16, 2018
  5. devilish Win User
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah i've been using Windows 10 for it all the time - just right clicking on it, going into properties and changing the details there.

On the older build of Windows 10, it's never been an issue at all, it's just on this new one it just brazenly deletes everything, even after changing the simplest of things in the details panel. Any link to other threads with this issue?

devilish, Feb 16, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Like you, I'd have to search the forum. There was one within the last 3 or 4 weeks I think.

I use a very useful free program (File Metadata) that adds to the standard range of fields exposed by explorer by using Windows capabilities- just adds to the relevant keys in the registry, so this is not a fair comparison:

File properties issue, Details automatically deleted. [​IMG]

- here you can see I've added Text text successfully. However, doing it this way required admin permission.

I'm wondering if you have UAC off, and whether that might be significant?

From an older post:
    If your default for (e.g.) mp3's is Windows Media Player or Groove, then editing items in Properties, Details, works. If not, it doesn't.

What is your default music player?

dalchina, Feb 16, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    More: if I use File Metadata as shown, I can have VLC player as default, and edit details in the Details Pane and Properties. It also makes more fields accessible. It's an interesting add-on and a good read on the site as to its background and MS thinking.

File properties issue, Details automatically deleted. [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File properties issue, Details automatically deleted. - Similar Threads - File properties issue

2. Issue deleting payment details.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue deleting payment details.: Hi guys.I have a slight issue with deleting my payment and also turning on recurring bill. The payment i want to delete as you can see in the picture. It will last until 2067 and i want to delete the payment to it.Also when trying to turn on recurring bill for my Game Pass...
  3. Issue deleting payment details.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue deleting payment details.: Hi guys.I have a slight issue with deleting my payment and also turning on recurring bill. The payment i want to delete as you can see in the picture. It will last until 2067 and i want to delete the payment to it.Also when trying to turn on recurring bill for my Game Pass...
  4. Can not edit file property details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not edit file property details: I'm aware this has been discussed before, but I can not add an album artist to a file that has no album artist. I want to change it so I have a way to categorize the file. However, the suggested way of changing details does not work pressing F2 while the file is open. If any...
  5. Can not edit file property details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not edit file property details: I'm aware this has been discussed before, but I can not add an album artist to a file that has no album artist. I want to change it so I have a way to categorize the file. However, the suggested way of changing details does not work pressing F2 while the file is open. If any...
  6. Unable to change file Details under Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change file Details under Properties: Hello I have 2 .mp3 files I uploaded of which I am unable to change the file properties. I downloaded both files, put them in my playlists folder, and when I right click each file and go to Properties ---> Details, there is no way to change the song title or artist. The song...
  7. MP3 file property details

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MP3 file property details: When I update mp3 properties details contributing artist, a drop down window appears with artist names. How do I add artist to this list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mp3-file-property-details/16ba24b3-cbf1-48b6-864c-c88c978712bc"
  8. Can I add a field to file -> Properties -> Details?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I add a field to file -> Properties -> Details?: Can I add a field to file -> Properties -> Details tab? When I am working on a project, it would be nice to be able to add a comment field to the Details tab. I have a separate "notes.txt" for the project but if I could add notes to the Details tab, then I wouldn't need to...
  9. Windows Explorer/file Properties Details not displaying tags

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer/file Properties Details not displaying tags: I'm trying to tag documents so they can be found easily but I don't have the option to add a tag to a file. The Details panel in my Windows Explorer does not display tags in the list of properties. Also, when I right-click a file, go to Properties and then click the Details...
  10. File properties comments deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    File properties comments deleted: In Windows Explorer (Windows 7) I had added comments to a number of files in the Comments Tags of properties. All these comments have disappeared in Windows 10. Other info I added in other tags has remained. 52020