Windows 10: File properties not working

Discus and support File properties not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; OK, so I open up "file properties" and I want to change the program that opens a particular file type when I double click it. Windows 10 won't let... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Homer Simpson, Mar 3, 2016.

1. File properties not working

OK, so I open up "file properties" and I want to change the program that opens a particular file type when I double click it.

Windows 10 won't let me do this.

None of the buttons work - the "Change" or the "advanced". I can change tabs, but I cannot change the default program for a file type. I clicked it a bunch of times and I half expect in a few minutes I'll be deluged with dialog boxes all at once, but so far nothing.

I didn't have this problem in Win7.

Besides "Uninstall Windows 10" are there any other ways I can get this to work? Thanks!

:)

Homer Simpson, Mar 3, 2016
  2. dustyb10 Win User

Win10 File Explorer r-click file properties "not responding"

Last night I was going to try your suggestions but I discovered the problems no longer existed. After living with this issue for around 2 weeks, both wifi and context menu have resolved themselves. I checked Windows Update history and saw a lot of "patches"
    installed April 16 but nothing since. I have rebooted many times during this time and connected many different wifi networks. I guess we may never discover what the problem was. I'm attaching a shapshot of the context menu for a jpg file. I don't recall what
    is normally in the list. Most items look familiar however I do not recall seeing "Cast to Device", "CRC SHA", "Web Albums" or the two CyberLink items previously. I believe I can identify all the others. Does anyone have a list from Win 10 Home as installed
    out-of-the-box?

File properties not working [​IMG]

dustyb10, Mar 3, 2016
  3. dustyb10 Win User
    Win10 File Explorer r-click file properties "not responding"

Any idea what "Cast to Device" might be? The list or menu branch following it is always empty. After looking for "devices" it returns with none found.

dustyb10, Mar 3, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

File properties not working

There are a few ways I will use to choose a program to open a particular file type..................

1. Use Open With if you have it installed.
    Right click at the file > Open With > at the bottom of the popup, click Choose another app > scroll to find the program you want > click that program > check the box " Always use this app to open ( the file type) > OK when done.

2. Right click at Start button > Control Panel > top right, click the View by and select large or small > click Default Programs > select Associate a file type or protocol with a program > wait for loading > left side, scroll down to the file type in question > click it > top right, click Change program > if program you want is not on the list, click More apps > find the program you want, click it > click OK.

3. Start button > Settings > System > left side, Default app > right side, click Choose default applications by file type > click at the program set as default > a drop down box will give you more programs to choose from.

davidhk, Mar 3, 2016
  5. Yeah, the "choose another app" doesn't do anything. There's the blue spinning "timer" icon for a second, then nothing.

"Change program" doesn't do anything. Again, timer icon, then nothing.

People get critical of me when I insult the people who programmed this OS, but seriously? Am I expected to have praise for it? These problems didn't happen in Win7

3rd method worked. Thanks

Homer Simpson, Mar 3, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    No idea why the first 2 options do not work.
    In fact, Open With is my favorite.

Anyway, your issue is sorted.
    Please mark your thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Mar 3, 2016
  7. RolandJS Win User
    What was the solution? I'd like to know for future reference.

RolandJS, Mar 3, 2016
  8. File properties not working

This one

3. Start button > Settings > System > left side, Default app > right side, click Choose default applications by file type > click at the program set as default > a drop down box will give you more programs to choose from.

Homer Simpson, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File properties not working

1. File properties not working - Similar Threads - File properties working

2. Music file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Music file properties: HI,I've been editing my music files with file explorer/groove music app on my laptop. I have transferred those songs to my phone but some songs have missing genre data, or artist name data, etc. I have never had this problem before. I tried to re-edit the files with the issue...
  3. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  4. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  5. File properties and metadata

File properties and metadata: Hi, Microsoft, This is an important question that has bugged me for a long time. I understand there are ways to add metadata to office files by document properties in word, excel, access etc and pdf files e.g. by properties, keyword etc. Those are answers that keep show up...
  6. File properties problem

File properties problem: Why when i open my file properties it become that colours , its making me hard to look at the properties , i dont remember this happen after i update the windows or anything but it was suddenly happen . Also when i delete something the button for "yes" and "cancel" also gone...
  7. File properties

File properties: When I create/save new word documents, they are always "read-only." How do I set document properties, so I can edit, and/or delete them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-properties/43c1a6ba-a9a9-48f9-8e20-7094ac417e75
  8. File properties.

File properties.: Can anyone tell why I cannot see the Details tab in file properties, specifically HP Soft-Paq *.exe files? W10 Home 64-bit running on my HP PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-properties/828de51f-3f4f-4840-ab99-1c9154ea93ea
  9. File Properties

File Properties: I would like to simply open a folder which contains music files MP3s and see the details of the music, such as artist and album. I currently only see details such as Date modified and Type. This used to change automatically, but no longer does. Now I know to go to...
  10. File properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File properties: Anyone know why when after hitting apply that the information that was entered dissapears? When i enter fields in properties and hit apply all the info dissapears. It seems to be only happening with one certain file. Said app is groove music. Windows 10...