Windows 10: File Properties question, "read only"

Discus and support File Properties question, "read only" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Most any folder you right click on and select 'properties' will give you a list of that folder's attributes. One of them always says: Read-only (Only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by larrydonline, Jun 10, 2017.

1. File Properties question, "read only"

Most any folder you right click on and select 'properties' will give you a list of that folder's attributes. One of them always says: Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)

I've never been able to figure out what that means. The files in the folder I'm investigating can be changed or deleted so what is the "read only" attribute?

:)

larrydonline, Jun 10, 2017
  2. Mick_H1 Win User

Delete "Read Only" File?

Thanks for the info.

I'll make a note of all that.

Might be worth hunting down a bit more info to get the gist of this Terminal a bit more.

Mick_H1, Jun 10, 2017
  3. Mick_H1 Win User
    Delete "Read Only" File?

Sorted it via Justin_02's method in the end.

The chmod +w filename command kept returning a "File or folder does not exist error". So maybe I needed to work through to that directory and file first.

All donedid now anyway, thanks all.

Mick_H1, Jun 10, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

File Properties question, "read only"

Read-only means that you can open it, but not edit (write) it.

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
  6. I understand the concept of 'read-only'. My problem is not understanding how it applies to a folder of mp3 files. As I described, the files do not take on any characteristics of being read only since I can modify them in any way I want.

Yet, this Attribute: Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)
    Hidden
    with the box always filled in by read-only
    appears to be a default screen for the General tab of Properties. It just doesn't seem to really mean anything unless perhaps the folder contains text files. I haven't tested that possibility.
    For the folders I look at with mixed file types the read-only notation in properties appears to be meaningless?

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    For folders, it is indeed meaningless what the Read-only check box shows since it doesn't actually get applied to the folder and only to the files in the folder.

Brink, Jun 10, 2017
  8. File Properties question, "read only"

I seem to be having difficulty in having my words be understood. It doesn't have any effect on either the folder or the files in the folder either. It has no effect on anything at all as far as I can tell.

9. For what it's worth, I understand your words and I've have wondered the same thing many times but never bothered to ask.

Every folder (that I've bothered to check) has "Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)" set. I've always assumed the parenthetical comment means just the opposite of what it says; that it really means "(Applies only to the folder, not to the files in the folder)". In other words, the directory is read-only; Windows can modify it but we can't.

My interpretation is almost certainly incorrect, but it's the only one I can come up with.

pokeefe0001, Jun 10, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No problem.

Nar, "Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)" for a folder means just that. If you check the box and apply, it only gets applied to the files in the folder and not the folder itself.

Do the files in the folder have the "Read-only" box checked for them in their General Properties page?

Brink, Jun 10, 2017
  11. I don't know about the OP's case, but for me this parenthesized phrase shows only in the attributes of a folder and always seems to be selected.

File Properties question, "read only" [​IMG]

I have no read-only files (that I know of). Here are the attributes of the one file in the above directory

File Properties question, "read only" [​IMG]

pokeefe0001, Jun 11, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The mark for the folder is neutral, and doesn't indicate read-only or not read-only.

The blue note box at the top of the tutorial below can give more details about this. *Smile

Set or Unset Read-only Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Brink, Jun 11, 2017
  13. File Properties question, "read only"

Thanks. I would never have guessed that square black box was "neutral", and I wouldn't (and didn't) have any idea how to look it up.

pokeefe0001, Jun 11, 2017
  14. We clearly are not looking at the same thing, Brink. I see a black square completely darkened to indicate that the read-only is the one selected.

larrydonline, Jun 11, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 11, 2017
Thema:

File Properties question, "read only"

1. File Properties question, "read only" - Similar Threads - File Properties question

2. Files are read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files are read only: All of my files are read only, including files on a data server. How do I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-are-read-only/5a92e5a7-83d9-485b-8280-145b318ca06b
  3. "these files have properties that can't be read"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "these files have properties that can't be read": I'm trying to edit a video mp4 in Video Editor Photos and getting this error: "these files have properties that can't be read". I have to Dell Pcs, in one Video Editor can add the video in the other it can't. So nothing is wrong with the video. Both PCs were upgraded to...
  4. "these files have properties that can't be read"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "these files have properties that can't be read": I'm trying to edit a video mp4 in Video Editor Photos and getting this error: "these files have properties that can't be read". I have to Dell Pcs, in one Video Editor can add the video in the other it can't. So nothing is wrong with the video. Both PCs were upgraded to...
  5. Can not remove the "Read only property"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not remove the "Read only property": Today when I tried to modify tags in my music library, I found that it couldn't write the tags. So I checked the properties of it. Under the General tab the "read only " property had a tick in front. [ATTACH] I removed it and clicked on apply. [ATTACH] Then a new window...
  6. File Properties - Read Only Checkbox

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Properties - Read Only Checkbox: I'm considering ticking the read only checkbox on a file and just wanted to get an idea of what it does exactly. Like is the file completely read only to everyone(administrators and system included) until someone unchecks the box? submitted by /u/Shaqnothot [link]...
  7. Read-only file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Read-only file/folder properties: As a long-time user of Windows OS in all its iterations, what I'm going to ask y'all has me totally stumped. I've looked on-line for solutions but have not found anything definitive. I apologize if anything like what I'm going to describe has been asked/answered; I only...
  8. read only files

read only files: read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-files/e2f111ee-e6c7-426f-88d2-6421bfd62668"
  9. file read only

file read only: Hello, A folder is suddenly read only. I have tried changing it both as a user and administrator to no avail. Is there a procedure to correct this other than change the folder name? Thanks...
  10. Error 0xC00D3E8E: The property is read only

in Windows 10 News
    Error 0xC00D3E8E: The property is read only: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]It is very painful to encounter error 0xC00D3E8E while moving a file from one location to another on a Windows 10 computer. There can be a number of reasons for this error and they are hard to guess – but the main [...] This post Error 0xC00D3E8E: The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows remove file properties 0xc00d3e8e