Windows 10: File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different

Discus and support File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; If I right-click on Program Files, and select Properties, the number of files is 7,559. But if I right-click on Program Files, and select Scan With... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OldGrantonian, Feb 5, 2019.

1. File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different

If I right-click on Program Files, and select Properties, the number of files is 7,559.

But if I right-click on Program Files, and select Scan With Windows Defender, the final dialog says that 143,953 files were scanned.

Note that hidden files are visible.

Is there any explanation for the difference in the file counts?

:)

OldGrantonian, Feb 5, 2019
  2. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Feb 5, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 5, 2019
  4. File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different

Reported number of files scanned differs, Defender window vs Notifications window

When I manually run a scan, Windows Defender will report 7720 files scanned (or some number in that vicinity). The Notifications/Actions Center will then present that there is a report "Windows Defender scan results" available to view.

Clicking that item opens the "Windows Defender Security Center" window which reports 5256 files scanned (or some number in that vicinity). The difference between these two numbers is seldom the same, but is always around 2464.

I have run consecutive scans 18 times this morning, getting numbers from 7774 to 7720 reported in the "Windows Defender Antivirus" window, and 5296 to 5256 in the "Windows Defender scan results" window. Differences in the count ranged from 2483 to 2464.

I can understand the variation in the file count from one pass to the next because of background processes (e-mail clients, auto-update actions, etc.) altering the number of files present, but why do the two reporting screens show such a large difference
    in the count of files scanned per each scan?

Semper Vaporo, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different

1. File Properties vs Windows Defender: Number of files is different - Similar Threads - File Properties Defender

2. Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender run time & number of files scanned: I have Windows 10, with all updates installed. When I run Windows Defender's Full Scan, it varies widely as to how long it takes to run and the number of files scanned. Today I ran a full scan and it finished in 21 minutes 214,812 files scanned. I thought this was not right,...
  3. Defender scanned file number - report

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender scanned file number - report: Hello,I have to somehow create a txt file with the result of a full scan.I can see it / when it ran, how many files scanned, No threats found ... But It can not be copied. I checked the log files - but it is not contained the data above .How can I create a custom report - I...
  4. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  5. File vs Folder names similar, but different

File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  6. File properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File properties: When I create/save new word documents, they are always "read-only." How do I set document properties, so I can edit, and/or delete them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-properties/43c1a6ba-a9a9-48f9-8e20-7094ac417e75
  7. Windows Defender reporting different number of files scanned compared to what it actually...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender reporting different number of files scanned compared to what it actually...: Hi! This is my first time using this forum, so I apologise if I get any of this wrong. I was running Windows Defender full scan and saw it was scanning through at least 800,000 files I cannot remember the exact figure. However, when it finished and gave me a summary of...
  8. File properties.

File properties.: Can anyone tell why I cannot see the Details tab in file properties, specifically HP Soft-Paq *.exe files? W10 Home 64-bit running on my HP PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-properties/828de51f-3f4f-4840-ab99-1c9154ea93ea
  9. File Properties

File Properties: I would like to simply open a folder which contains music files MP3s and see the details of the music, such as artist and album. I currently only see details such as Date modified and Type. This used to change automatically, but no longer does. Now I know to go to...
  10. File properties

File properties: Anyone know why when after hitting apply that the information that was entered dissapears? When i enter fields in properties and hit apply all the info dissapears. It seems to be only happening with one certain file. Said app is groove music. Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender scan shows different number of files scanned