Windows 10: File recovery from spurious shortcut

Discus and support File recovery from spurious shortcut in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On Windows 10. A bunch of my work files from one day just got converted into shortcuts on \appdata\roaming and can't find any existing file linked to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sharon.Spence, Oct 27, 2018.

1. File recovery from spurious shortcut

On Windows 10. A bunch of my work files from one day just got converted into shortcuts on \appdata\roaming and can't find any existing file linked to shortcut. I ran Antivirus and Malware programs. I did not use a usb device or outside drives. I restarted computer and they're gone. Help!

:)

Sharon.Spence, Oct 27, 2018
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.File recovery from spurious shortcut :)

terrace, Oct 27, 2018
  3. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 27, 2018
  4. File recovery from spurious shortcut

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

File recovery from spurious shortcut

1. File recovery from spurious shortcut - Similar Threads - File recovery spurious

2. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing a file location from a shortcut: Hi There Folks!I have a lot of photos downloaded to my PC Windows 10 from my iCloud account, I'm trying to move some of them into a separate folder and I'm having issues changing the file locations. The photos/videos in question are in their separate folder, but they're...
  3. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing a file location from a shortcut: Hi There Folks!I have a lot of photos downloaded to my PC Windows 10 from my iCloud account, I'm trying to move some of them into a separate folder and I'm having issues changing the file locations. The photos/videos in question are in their separate folder, but they're...
  4. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Spurious additional keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spurious additional keyboard: Hello,I have Windows 11 and I have the following language & region settings:Windows Display Language:English USPreferred languages:* German Germany* English USCountry or region:SwitzerlandRegional format:German GermanyI get the following keyboards:German Germany with German...
  6. Spurious additional keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spurious additional keyboard: Hello,I have Windows 11 and I have the following language & region settings:Windows Display Language:English USPreferred languages:* German Germany* English USCountry or region:SwitzerlandRegional format:German GermanyI get the following keyboards:German Germany with German...
  7. Create shortcut from file in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create shortcut from file in OneDrive: Am I mistaken that in the past you could place a word file shortcut on the android home page. I can't see a way to do it. I also couldn't find a way to copy the file to my android documents folder, from where I planned to create the shortcut. I eventually had to move the...
  8. Shortcut folder recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shortcut folder recovery: I had made a shortcut folder on desktop and kept some files in it. Then i copied all the data from my user profiles including Desktop file and formatted the laptop and installed Win 10 in it. Now when I pasted the data after installing Win 10, the shortcut folder is not...
  9. Spurious user on log-in page

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Spurious user on log-in page: A colleague who is nearly computer illiterate, tried to create another local user on his home PC (I do not understand why he did this as he did not want to have another user, only himself on a local account). He is the administrator for the PC but will not use a Microsoft...
  10. Spurious Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Spurious Update: On both computers, Windows 10 keeps trying to install an update for a Brother printer; this has been going on for a few days. The updater shows that the update is ready, so when I tell Windows to install it, it starts and immediately quits. If I then check for updates, the...