Windows 10: File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10

Discus and support File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have an HP laptop with Windows 10. I have a recent issue that my PC takes a long time to rename files within my PC, but when I connect any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chucky_007, Jul 29, 2020.

1. File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10

Hi,

I have an HP laptop with Windows 10. I have a recent issue that my PC takes a long time to rename files within my PC, but when I connect any other mobile devices and do the same thing there it doesn't show any effect, it just works fine and fast.

When I rename any file/folder suddenly the whole window stops responding after a while it again starts responding normally.

Also While copying or moving any files it copies quickly but the progress window stays open for a while and then closes even if it is a very short file

While downloading any file from the internet, it is the same as copying a file it takes the usual time to download the file but it takes a long time to save it and finish downloading!

I have seen many answers from the internet to solve this issue but I couldn't find any solution!

Thanks in advance!

:)

Chucky_007, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Slim101 Win User

Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time

I've got 3 harddrives, 2 SSD and one external, I created a folder in each one of them and made a shortcut on the desktop for them, I had a problem with all of them trying to delete/rename.

This comes up when deleting:

File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Slim101, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time

Welcome to TenForums!

This isn't much to go on:

File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Please elaborate more on your system specs.

Also, you might want to check if TRIM is enabled on your drive for better performance; usually the newer SSD's already have the feature enabled.

Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10

EyeInTheSky, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Slim101 Win User

File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10

Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time

Good day, I recently updated my operative system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When I had Windows 8.1, I had a problem with deleting/renaming files on the desktop, it simply just took way too long. So one of the main reason really in upgrading was that it could maybe resolve my small issue but it turns out the issue remained the same. So do any of you know what can cause this, could it be something wrong with my SSD Harddrive? Thank you in advance for taking your time to answering my question! *Smile

Slim101, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10

1. File renaming, deleting, copying, downloading takes long time in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File renaming deleting

2. Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file: A user screenshotted a twitter feed and did not rename the file. The file name is now exceedingly long, causing issues with our backup service due to the filepath length. I have tried moving, copying, renaming, and deleting the file, but nothing happens, not even an error. I...
  3. Windows 10 taking to long to rename a folder

Windows 10 taking to long to rename a folder: Hi, My windows 10 is taking 5 seconds to rename any folder. My PC is new, Everything is going very smoothly but only whenever I tried to rename folder it takes 5 Second. Could you please update in this regard....
  4. sometimes file copy takes long time

in Windows 10 Support
    sometimes file copy takes long time: on my dad 7 year old laptop, some time copying a small word/pdf file of 4-5 pages takes one minute or more to copy from one folder to another this is random problem 175714
  5. Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10?

Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10?: Why does it take so long to copy files in Windows 10? I copied just under 10GB from my internal D:\ drive to my internal E:\ drive yesterday and it took over 6 hours! That's nuts! Both the D:\ and E:\ drives are each 6TB and both have more than 3TB of available space....
  6. It is taking a long time to download windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    It is taking a long time to download windows 10: I am downloading Windows 10 to my Mac to put it on a drive to plug into my new computer. I started it at 1 in the morning and it is only on 53 mb. What can I do to make it faster? It says it is going to take a week....
  7. Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates failing/taking a long time to download and install: So I recently reset my PC via the Recovery tab in Settings. I did this to skirt the Upgrade Repair feature since it was not working, and Resetting seemed to be faster than performing a Clean Install of Win10. As far as I can tell, the reset fixed my initial issues with...
  8. Windows 10 takes a long time to run any executable and File Explorer takes a long time to...

Windows 10 takes a long time to run any executable and File Explorer takes a long time to...: As per title, Windows10 takes almost 2 minutes to open any executable file. File Explorer takes up to 3 minutes to load a folder and up to one minute whenever I right click something. Disabled most of the shell extensions that caused trouble but it still lags a lot. I just...
  9. Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting/renaming files on desktop takes a long time: Good day, I recently updated my operative system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When I had Windows 8.1, I had a problem with deleting/renaming files on the desktop, it simply just took way too long. So one of the main reason really in upgrading was that it could maybe...
  10. *** How To Fix > Windows Takes Long Time To Delete Files ***

in Windows 10 Support
    *** How To Fix > Windows Takes Long Time To Delete Files ***: Here is the simple solution to fixing the Windows 10 taking long time to delete files and folders problem. THE PROBLEM: When you delete a big file (or folder) or lots of files in File Explorer, you notice in the popup window the green progress bar goes to 99% and then...