Windows 10: file retrieval from File History

Discus and support file retrieval from File History in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After re-building my PC after it crashed I find I cannot retrieve any files backed up onto an external drive using filestore. As I turned on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stewart#, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Stewart# Win User

file retrieval from File History

After re-building my PC after it crashed I find I cannot retrieve any files backed up onto an external drive using filestore.
    As I turned on Filestore as part of the recovery operation, the filestore display only allows me to see data backed up since then! What I need to see and retrieve is data backed up to the point of the crash but that information is blocked.

:)

Stewart#, Oct 11, 2020
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 11, 2020
  4. file retrieval from File History

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

file retrieval from File History

1. file retrieval from File History - Similar Threads - file retrieval File

2. How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?: I accidently overwrote an rtf: file from a thumb drive and lost the original file that was in Documents in Drive C on my computer... only to find out that File History and System restore were turned off on our PC; Is there anyway of retrieving my original file???...
  3. How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?: I accidently overwrote an rtf: file from a thumb drive and lost the original file that was in Documents in Drive C on my computer... only to find out that File History and System restore were turned off on our PC; Is there anyway of retrieving my original file???...
  4. How do I retrieve an overwritten file without File History or System Restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot recover files from File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot recover files from File History: My last backup using Windows Backup may have run out of disk space. There was no error message, however. Files were set to be kept "forever". That is not needed and I will change that setting in the future. I have done several backups using File History already to this...
  6. how to retrieve applications from File History

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to retrieve applications from File History: Hi How can I retrieve applications saved in the File History so that I can restore them onto my laptop. There is no longer any previous restore point I can depend on. Best YY...
  7. file retrieval from filestore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file retrieval from filestore: After re-building my PC after it crashed I find I cannot retrieve any files backed up onto an external drive using filestore. As I turned on Filestore as part of the recovery operation, the filestore display only allows me to see data backed up since then! What I need to...
  8. retrieving files from skydrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    retrieving files from skydrive: I was cleaning out an old laptop and found that I still have documents in a Skydrive folder. But when I dbl-click on any of them, nothing happens. Are they now not retrievable? Are these files I see just representations of what used to be in the Skydrive cloud and not...
  9. Restoring from File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring from File History: I backed up my files using File History. The computer I was using was lost in a fire. I need to restore my files to anew computer but File History on my new computer will not recognize the external source. I could just copy the files but then they would keep the backup...
  10. Retrieving files from harddrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Retrieving files from harddrive: Hi there, I'll try and round up my problem quickly basically was running windows10 (upgraded from 7) on my alienware computer then all of a sudden the other day the motherboard went pop! So as i have files and photos that aren't backed up anywhere i really need to access...