Windows 10: File says it's read only, even though permissions are set to full-control

Discus and support File says it's read only, even though permissions are set to full-control in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I"m trying to clear out the properties on some photos & video files, but I'm getting the error message "This item is read-only. It cannot be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nate013, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Nate013 Win User

File says it's read only, even though permissions are set to full-control

Hi,

I"m trying to clear out the properties on some photos & video files, but I'm getting the error message "This item is read-only. It cannot be modified."

The permissions were set to "read & execute" & "read." Even after I modified every group and user to have full control of the file, it still generates the same error message. I am logged in as administrator on my account. Running Windows 10 Pro.

I went through the advanced list for every possible Group & User and gave them full control, to no effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Nate013, Nov 24, 2018

2. File Permissions Mysteriously set to read only

Hi Doug,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please follow the steps to modify ownership and permissions of folders and files and check if it helps or not:

1. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the
    Security tab.

2. Click Advanced, and then click the
    Owner tab.

3. Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

· To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click
    Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click
    OK.

· To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the
    Change owner to box, click the new owner.

4. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the
    Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

5. Click OK, and then click
    Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click
    Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Additional considerations

· An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.

· Assigning ownership of a file or a folder might require you to elevate your permissions using User Access Control.

Hope this information helps. Please post us if you need any further assistance with Windows.

Thank you.

Sagnik_Chakraborty, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Read only files

Since you mentioned above that you are using an Administrator account, and after creating a new user account didn't make any changes, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps below and see if it helps:

Take full control on permissions.

• Open File Explorer. Right-click on your C Drive, and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab. Click Advanced, then
      Change Permissions
    • Highlight the user, and click Edit.
    • Choose This folder, subfolders and files under Applies to:.
    • Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.
    • Click OK.

If there are other users on the computer, follow the steps below:

• Go to C Drive.
    • Right-click your user name in Users folder, then click Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then click Continue.
    • Click Enable Inheritance.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, Nov 24, 2018
  4. File says it's read only, even though permissions are set to full-control

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

File says it's read only, even though permissions are set to full-control

1. File says it's read only, even though permissions are set to full-control - Similar Threads - File says read

2. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  3. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  4. How to Add Full Permissions to A Read-Only Share

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Add Full Permissions to A Read-Only Share: Yeah, I F'ed up. I removed all of the read-write and full permissions to a share and need to put them back. This share is not on a traditional MS server but a NetApp SAN that can emulate a MS OS.Is there a way I can add full permissions back onto this share?...
  5. How to Add Full Permissions to A Read-Only Share

How to Add Full Permissions to A Read-Only Share: Yeah, I F'ed up. I removed all of the read-write and full permissions to a share and need to put them back. This share is not on a traditional MS server but a NetApp SAN that can emulate a MS OS.Is there a way I can add full permissions back onto this share?...
  6. How to Add Full Permissions to A Read-Only Share

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  8. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  9. File not appearing even though it says it saved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File not appearing even though it says it saved: for school i had to make an essay on word and i saved it as a .docx file, its said it saved multiple times but its not showing up, any idea what's going on? submitted by /u/Chadly1234 [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows says "no permissions" even though I have full permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows says "no permissions" even though I have full permissions: Hi guys! I have an external drive with a lot of files (about 2,000,000 files). For about 500 of them (which are all located in sub-folders of the same folder), Windows 10 says I don't have the permissions to access the files no matter which application I use to try to open...