Windows 10: File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10

Discus and support File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm going to save various thousands of words by inserting images. First, these are the drives. [ATTACH] Searches on M: don't work. Note the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bfotk, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bfotk Win User

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10

I'm going to save various thousands of words by inserting images.

First, these are the drives.

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 c5fe91d1-ae40-4595-8306-3334f17c82a4?upload=true.jpg

Searches on M: don't work. Note the indicated files in M:\Music.

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 10aa522d-f7dc-4ecc-a3fd-8f398dfe70cd?upload=true.jpg

Here's the result of a search of this directory. Note that Windows did not find any of the four files. Using a capital A rather than small a makes no difference.

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 6164fa0b-12bd-4333-a155-468142ae72e1?upload=true.jpg

Doing a similar search in Z:\HOYLE

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 572e1258-9815-4171-939c-75c7853f64de?upload=true.jpg

This time there are results.

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 a40d8dc2-03ed-44b8-8ee9-78ba6c19aa16?upload=true.jpg

Here are the Indexing Options. I did a refresh and let it sit overnight to be sure it had enough time to finish.

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 71ba594a-8c0a-487c-b5d3-4a58a3b444b5?upload=true.jpg

I did the DISM thing...

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 b4fecf20-df19-44a7-bc29-b309c6dceb41?upload=true.jpg

I followed that with the SFC thing.

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 52a34542-bb65-4c9d-8319-1c115c6d1d03?upload=true.jpg

I then did another search in M:\Music with zero files found.

Now what??

I should not that from time to time, the search works. I'd estimate it at one day a week for two or three searches.

Do I just have a supremely lazy Windows 10???

:)

Bfotk, Jan 27, 2019
  2. Drone Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Jan 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 27, 2019
  4. File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10

Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10

1. File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File search fails

2. Unable to find search files on a network drive

in Cortana
    Unable to find search files on a network drive: Hello All,Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I work IT Help Desk and have a user who is unable to get an results from searches he performs on a network drive. When he tries to search for a specific file that he knows is in that certain network drive no...
  3. Unable to find search files on a network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find search files on a network drive: Hello All,Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I work IT Help Desk and have a user who is unable to get an results from searches he performs on a network drive. When he tries to search for a specific file that he knows is in that certain network drive no...
  4. Unable to find search files on a network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Search Not Finding Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Not Finding Files: Windows 10 Version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042,1052) I've always had problem with searching files. If I "search this PC" and type in a folder or file name, nothing ever comes up. It just says "working on it" forever as the little bar moves. If I search a specific folder, sometimes...
  6. File explorer fails to find Network Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer fails to find Network Drive: Just installed a Western Digital WD 'My Cloud' drive on my LAN, on same LAN segment to my W10 PC. Using 'My Cloud' facilities I have copied files from the PC to the WD drive. Using File Explorer -> Network all I can 'see' is the PC and Router, not the drive. Hence I...
  7. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.: Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of the files that had the error to a different directory with no problem. I deleted the original/error directory and renamed...
  8. Windows Search not finding file that IS there!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search not finding file that IS there!: Hi, I'm very confused.. I am looking for any files on my computer that have "Hybrid - Analog Women" in the name, no matter what the file extension is. I know for a fact that there is one called Hybrid - Analog Women.nksn on one of my drives yet it is returning "No items match...
  9. searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name

searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name: In Win 10, when using robocopy I accidently entered the wrong parameter /FAT causing several directory and file namesto be converted to 8.3 format before I could stop it. Does anyone know a simple way to find them, they would have a tilde ~ in the name? I have tried dir...
  10. Windows 10 search fails to find specific file

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search fails to find specific file: I have Windows 10 Enterprise. I am trying to find a specific file by searching either in Start menu, or by directly searching in the folder where the file itself is located. While all other files with the searched characters are retrieved, that one file is not. I tried...