Windows 10: File search from folders located on different drives

Discus and support File search from folders located on different drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How to run single file name text string search with Windows File manager (explorer) from folders located on different drives? Search result may be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robilong, Oct 4, 2019.

1. robilong Win User

File search from folders located on different drives

How to run single file name text string search with Windows File manager (explorer) from folders located on different drives?
    Search result may be 0-100 files.

Any ideas?

Perhaps it's possible to link folders somehow to look like one?

:)

robilong, Oct 4, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Hitesh12 Win User
    Cannot search in a specific folder [Windows 10]

THANKS A LOT !!

This worked like a charm. Now search is working perfectly

Thanks a lot Ruth, really appreciate your help

Hitesh12, Oct 4, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

1. File search from folders located on different drives - Similar Threads - File search folders

2. I want File Explorer to look at a different 'Pictures' folder location

in Windows 10 Support
    I want File Explorer to look at a different 'Pictures' folder location: A long time ago, I both moved my various Library folders (Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos) into my OneDrive folder, and re-located my OneDrive folder from my System drive to a different drive on my PC. This all worked fine for a while. At some point since then, Windows...
  3. Copying files from NTFS to NTFS drive result in different size in target location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files from NTFS to NTFS drive result in different size in target location: I have an external 512GB NTFS drive (which has ~450GB used) that I normally use mounted in linux. Now, in Windows, I'm trying to copy the contents of the drive to an NTFS partition on another drive of a similar size. I'm copying folder by folder and suddenly I get an error...
  4. Difference in files/folders from backup of files

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference in files/folders from backup of files: I copied the contents from my main hard drive to a backup hard drive and want to verify if I am missing any files. I copied my files with teracopy and verified that all files transferred and were successful. When I click on the root folder from both drives they have a...
  5. File sharing between users at different locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing between users at different locations: I would like to share files across different computers with different users. For example, the admin user on Desktop would like to have full control over Laptop and vice versa. I have network discovery and file sharing turned on, the proper services are started, and the...
  6. Searching for files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for files and folders: I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find...
  7. File Explorer, different results for search then all folders set for

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer, different results for search then all folders set for: I have set all folders and subsfolders to view DETAILS - no matter what I do and I have spend three days searching for the answer - I cannot get a search result in Win 10 File explorer to show anything but the attached view. The search only always comes back with "Content"...
  8. Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Folder Locations from SSD onto D Drive: So i moved my documents, pictures, videos, and music folders from my ssd to my D drive. This is the process i followed: right click folder, click properties, click the location tab, click move, select the D drive, click ok. What I failed to do, was create a NEW folder...
  9. Search Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Files and Folders: In previous versions of Windows, one could press the start button and at the bottom of the column there was a blank space where you could enter a filename and locate it on the hard drive. I can't find this tool on Windows 10. Is it there? Peter 69103
  10. searching for files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    searching for files and folders: I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find...