Windows 10: File search from folders located on different drives

Discus and support File search from folders located on different drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How to run single file name text string search with Windows File manager (explorer) from folders located on different drives? Search result may be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robilong, Oct 4, 2019.

1. robilong Win User

File search from folders located on different drives

How to run single file name text string search with Windows File manager (explorer) from folders located on different drives?
    Search result may be 0-100 files.

Any ideas?

Perhaps it's possible to link folders somehow to look like one?

:)

robilong, Oct 4, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Hitesh12 Win User
    Cannot search in a specific folder [Windows 10]

THANKS A LOT !!

This worked like a charm. Now search is working perfectly

Thanks a lot Ruth, really appreciate your help

Hitesh12, Oct 4, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

1. File search from folders located on different drives - Similar Threads - File search folders

2. Windows10: folder in mulitple different locations?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows10: folder in mulitple different locations?: I am an architect. I keep drawings for each project in a Drawing folder under a project name. I keep Administrative documents in another folder under the appropriate project name. Sometimes I would like to have access to administrative docs but located in the Drawing folder....
  3. Moving files/folders to different drive issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files/folders to different drive issue: I regulary have reason to copy files and folders from one HDD to another, and have a strong preference for them being moved, not copied. Since reinstalling Windows a few weeks ago, however, I am unable to do so. I am presently running 10 Home 10.0.18363. I have attempted to...
  4. Display full location of a folder from search results

Display full location of a folder from search results: Hello, I have been searching through a lot of files lately, with a lot of similarly named folders turning up in the results. I need to know where the folder in the search results actually is. However, if I right click the folder in the search results and choose "Open in New...
  5. Searching for multiple instances of the same file in different folders?

Searching for multiple instances of the same file in different folders?: Is there a way in Windows graphical search, or even Powershell command-line to search for any instances of a file name that appears multiple times on the same drive?...
  6. Windows search not locating files on google drive subfolder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows search not locating files on google drive subfolder: Good afternoon, Unfortunately, windows search does not show files in google drive. It does show the folder names but not files. One drive files show up no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  7. Windows 10 search unable to locate files in folder

Windows 10 search unable to locate files in folder: When searching for a specific image in my downloads folder using the Search bar the image does not show up. As there are so many files in my folder it is normally much quicker for me to just type in the image name rather than scrolling through the file. But even when I search...
  8. How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop File Explorer from opening a different folder/drive: Windows 10 - Ver 1809 We currently use onedrive at work and there is a folder option in File Explorer to open OneDrive, however, when I single click it "OneDrive", all files for my OneDrive folder show in the original window but file explorer also opens a separate new window...
  9. Copying files from NTFS to NTFS drive result in different size in target location

Copying files from NTFS to NTFS drive result in different size in target location: I have an external 512GB NTFS drive (which has ~450GB used) that I normally use mounted in linux. Now, in Windows, I'm trying to copy the contents of the drive to an NTFS partition on another drive of a similar size. I'm copying folder by folder and suddenly I get an error...
  10. Difference in files/folders from backup of files

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference in files/folders from backup of files: I copied the contents from my main hard drive to a backup hard drive and want to verify if I am missing any files. I copied my files with teracopy and verified that all files transferred and were successful. When I click on the root folder from both drives they have a...