Windows 10: File Search useless

Discus and support File Search useless in Cortana to solve the problem; Why is the search on the Windows explorer so useless? I have seen all kinds of nonsense about how to make it usefull, they do not work. There are free... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by hgreenblatt, Mar 12, 2021.

1. File Search useless

Why is the search on the Windows explorer so useless? I have seen all kinds of nonsense about how to make it usefull, they do not work. There are free apps, that actually work, what do people at Microsoft do all day??

I tried Wizfile, it is FREE, it takes seconds to search over 500 gigs, what is the deal at Microsoft??

:)

hgreenblatt, Mar 12, 2021

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 12, 2021
  3. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Mar 12, 2021
  4. enso Win User

File Search useless

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

File Search useless

1. File Search useless - Similar Threads - File Search useless

2. Why has by Search stopped working? troubleshooter is useless

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has by Search stopped working? troubleshooter is useless: My Search box stopped accepting text and will not work. I tried to run the troubleshooter but only got "Problems found Windows search is not working."Duh.I then clicked "Try these repairs as an administrator" and then I get:"An error occurred while troubleshooting: An...
  3. Why has by Search stopped working? troubleshooter is useless

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why has by Search stopped working? troubleshooter is useless: My Search box stopped accepting text and will not work. I tried to run the troubleshooter but only got "Problems found Windows search is not working."Duh.I then clicked "Try these repairs as an administrator" and then I get:"An error occurred while troubleshooting: An...
  4. Why has by Search stopped working? troubleshooter is useless

in Cortana
  5. Is it me or is File Explorer Search Feature useless?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it me or is File Explorer Search Feature useless?: It's been years now that I haven't even tried to use File Explorer search feature, since when I tried it many times, it was useless. I tried it again today, trying to find the exe file for process explorer, searching the Program directories. As usual, the progress slider...
  6. Windows Start Menu Search bar useless.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Start Menu Search bar useless.: I got a new laptop about 2 weeks ago and setup windows, but whenever i search for an app or a specific document it either asks me to search for it on the interned or on the fire explored, what happened to the search bar from Windows 7, where you would search for something,...
  7. Microsoft search bar USELESS PLEASE FIX !

in Cortana
    Microsoft search bar USELESS PLEASE FIX !: ***moved on english forum*** Hello Microsoft, I writing this because I grew EXTREMELY TIRED of your incompetence of creating an actually working search bar. Can you explain to me HOW it is possible for it to not found the correct files even when you type them correctly,...
  8. Windows update aparantly renderd my explorer searches useless...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update aparantly renderd my explorer searches useless...: Hello, Anytime I now search for a file in any directory the results show a "PC desktop" looking ICON for all my files. If I click on any of the identical looking icons nothing happens, nada. Please fix this mess! I now have to search for my files by hand every time....
  9. Cortana Useless

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cortana Useless: Got a new laptop and finally got Windows 10 to activate. Cortana doesnt respond AND I also want to print to a wireless printer direct like I do from my phone but all the directions talk about a network. I dont have a network nor do I have access to one. Can I print to an HP...
  10. Useless Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Useless Taskbar: Problem: Can't use Cortana search, open notifications or open the start menu. Can't run Insider Hub either I've been searching google all day and tried several methods with no results. * I created a powershell.exe file on the desktop and ran as administrator to use the...