Windows 10: file sector is unreadable

Discus and support file sector is unreadable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I opened my laptop to discover the dreaded blue screen, tried several things like 'reset the pc' but that led nowhere. On running chkdsk, found many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Koms07, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Koms07 Win User

file sector is unreadable

I opened my laptop to discover the dreaded blue screen, tried several things like 'reset the pc' but that led nowhere. On running chkdsk, found many 'file record segment is unreadable' messages that ended with 'insufficient disk space to insert the index entry. failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.'

Ran chkdsk again now and it says that chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process, it may run if this volume is dismounted first. I have no idea what to do or what exactly the error is and how to go about fixing it. Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

:)

Koms07, Jul 7, 2019

2. Repair Loop Error boot sector unreadable or corrup

Hi,

When I turn on my computer it goes directly to windows repair and I have let it sit there for up to 12 hours. I have only been able to successfully boot from usb media where I tried a restore, repair, and trying to reinstall a fresh copy as well as format
    the drive. All of which end in it just spinning for hours. I finally did a chkdsk r/ C: and received the following information:

The type of file system is NTFS

The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.

Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure...

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

And then it ends any suggestions?

RussellHetzer, Jul 7, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    windows 10 "the first ntfs boot sector is unreadable or corrupt raw"

Hi,

Corrupted boot system files is one of the possible reasons why you are having an error message, the first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt, when you run the Check disk (Chkdsk) tool. Since you already tried using DiskPart and it shows that the partition
    is RAW, we suggest that you perform a clean install of Windows 10. You can follow the steps in this

Forum Article
    that was provided by Andre Da Costa to perform a clean install or reinstall of Windows 10.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Jul 7, 2019
  4. file sector is unreadable

CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Jul 7, 2019
Thema:

file sector is unreadable

1. file sector is unreadable - Similar Threads - file sector unreadable

2. "The type of file system is NTFS. The first boot sector is unreadable or corrupted. Reading...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "The type of file system is NTFS. The first boot sector is unreadable or corrupted. Reading...: chkdsk corrupted 1st boot sector of my external USB 1TB hard drive. Now I get this message "The type of file system is NTFS. The first boot sector is unreadable or corrupted. Reading second boot sector instead. Unable to determine the version and volume state. CHKDSK aborted"...
  3. "The type of file system is NTFS. The first boot sector is unreadable or corrupted. Reading...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The type of file system is NTFS. The first boot sector is unreadable or corrupted. Reading...: chkdsk corrupted 1st boot sector of my external USB 1TB hard drive. Now I get this message "The type of file system is NTFS. The first boot sector is unreadable or corrupted. Reading second boot sector instead. Unable to determine the version and volume state. CHKDSK aborted"...
  4. "The type of file system is NTFS. The first boot sector is unreadable or corrupted. Reading...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

"The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable": Hello, I wanted to make a folder that had additional folders in it as well as the main folder with emojis you might use in text messages in the beginning of the name. For example, if I named a folder "Info," there is an emoji on Get Emoji Symbols a ".com" website of a light...
  6. Corrupted and unreadable files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted and unreadable files: Why are all my Microsort word and excel files corrupted and unreadable. This is not the first time it's happened - just want to know why and how to rectify the issue....
  7. file sector is unreadble

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file sector is unreadble: I opened my laptop to discover the dreaded blue screen, tried several things like 'reset the pc' but that led nowhere. On running chkdsk, found the 'file sector is unreadable' option and the disk wasn't scanned fully before the battery died. Ran chkdsk again now and it says...
  8. unreadable files

unreadable files: after a accidentle format of my second internal drive.the recuverd files i get from :recuva:,,easeus and undelete the files are all unreadable or only got the letter y like this yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,,can someone help me please its driving me mad...
  9. Unreadable file issue

Unreadable file issue: Good day, Thank you for the great products and systems for customers. I am one of who enjoy Windows 10. However, I am currently having a problem with this strange file that bothers me for a few days. It is just a photo file and it says as below every time I try to delete...
  10. Files Unreadable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Unreadable: Hello all, I was using 32 gb usb for my backups on my old computer that I no longer have. When I purchased a new computer and restored the backups to it, I discovered that 2/3 of my music files were not in ITunes and most of the documents were in an unreadable form ( more...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. insufficient disk space to insert the index entry

2. how can I repair sector is unreadable