Windows 10: File Selection not obeying setting selection

Discus and support File Selection not obeying setting selection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am on a Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit laptop. In Explorer, I have my file settings to open with DOUBLE click. (Single click to select). But every time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cool Moe Z, Apr 12, 2019.

1. File Selection not obeying setting selection

I am on a Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit laptop. In Explorer, I have my file settings to open with DOUBLE click. (Single click to select). But every time I go to select a file or more than one file., they all start opening with a single click. What the heck have I missed? This is incredibly frustrating.

:)

Cool Moe Z, Apr 12, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

File selection lost continuously

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

• Are you trying to access detail pane under view tab or right click on the file and select properties and details?

• What are the steps you have followed to open the details view?
    I would suggest you open the folder which contains PDF files and click on view and check details pane and check if you are able to get the details view.

Reply us back with the required information. We will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Apr 12, 2019
  3. SewHelpMe Win User
    Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing.

My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade.

When I go to Settings->Set Default Programs I have found 2 problems.

(1) an application I have installed (EditPad by JGSoft and Adobe Acrobat Pro) is not available to be selected as a default application instead of OneNote or NotePad or Edge.

and
    (2) when the application I want is available from the list and I select it, nothing happens. For example, under select default browser, FireFox, MS Edge and MS IE display. No matter which one I select, it returns to the "choose a default" as if I never selected anything. (What I want is FireFox). I have tried setting using by file type (extensions) and protocols. Same result.

Some articles I read suggested the problem is somehow related to the manner in which the OS was upgraded but I found no solutions to the problem.

I would really like to have my preferred text editor, browser and PDF Editor as the defaults and not be constantly asked to set them in settings where I can not.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide.

SewHelpMe, Apr 12, 2019
  4. A Monell Win User

File Selection not obeying setting selection

confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

File Selection not obeying setting selection

1. File Selection not obeying setting selection - Similar Threads - File Selection obeying

2. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    select multiple files without losing selections: How do you select multiple files in file explorer and then ensure none of those files are deselected.\I have a ton of PDF files really books I have downloaded.Now I am trying to organize them into folders.All intermixed have files about God, investing, supply chain...
  3. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    select multiple files without losing selections: How do you select multiple files in file explorer and then ensure none of those files are deselected.\I have a ton of PDF files really books I have downloaded.Now I am trying to organize them into folders.All intermixed have files about God, investing, supply chain...
  4. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Select multiple files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Select multiple files: Selecting multiple files using control key has stopped. What has happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-multiple-files/6d74d5ba-2fb5-4c21-bd6c-56cf151b442f
  6. Files selection

Files selection: Something changed with Windows and is really bugging me. I usually have my folders under list view - when selecting files, the area of the highlighted files are much wider than previously see picture below. Does anyone know how to get the old file selection back?? Thank...
  7. Settings selection is greyed out

Settings selection is greyed out: I have just activated OneDrive on a new laptop. It immediately started to synch all files. I stopped the synch because I only want to install a subset of my OneDrive on this laptop. If found how to do that elsewhere in this Community but the first steps are: more>Settings -...
  8. Files in File Explorer are not selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files in File Explorer are not selected: Prior the issue File Explorer kept a selected file selected. I could select a file, then open it, save etc. without having to click on the mouse. Currently folder settings in File Explorer have changed because the file I have opened is not stayed selected anymore. I have to...
  9. Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting: I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing. My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade. When I...
  10. Setting default app with "Select File"

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default app with "Select File": Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button that would open the file explorer and letting me select the executable. I am not seeing that in Windows 10, how do I select...