Windows 10: File share no longer works

Discus and support File share no longer works in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a main computer system in my house for all of my photographs. Over 500gb of them! So to access them on my other windows systems I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pywacket, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Pywacket Win User

File share no longer works

I have a main computer system in my house for all of my photographs. Over 500gb of them! So to access them on my other windows systems I have been using a file share. I have managed to get the file share to continue to work on my other systems except one. I am running out of ideas about how to fix it.

Here are the details:

All systems are on the latest Windows 10. I am signed into my systems using my Microsoft credentials which have been granted full privileges to the share. I keep getting the error that I do not have the privileges to the share when I attempt to connect.

Thanks for any help, or suggestions.

:)

Pywacket, Jan 22, 2020

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 22, 2020
  3. File Sharing

Hi Dwayne,

The ability to share files within your homegroup can be set based on your preference in the HomeGroup settings. For us to identify if the file sharing issue is caused by the update or an option not being retained in the HomeGroup setting, we'd like to ask
    for additional details. Please answer the following:

• Aside from installing an update, have you also made any recent changes to the HomeGroup settings?
    • What specific update have you installed before the file sharing stopped working? To check the Update history, follow these steps:
    • On the Search bar, type Settings.
    • Open the Settings app from the search result.
    • Click Update & security and check the Windows Update section.
    • Click the Update history link.
    • Have you already checked if the file and printer sharing is enabled in the
      Advanced sharing settings
      in the Control Panel?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried based on the threads that you've read?
    For initial troubleshooting, you can run the built-in troubleshooter for HomeGroup by following the steps below:

• On the Search bar, type Troubleshoot.
    • Open the Control Panel from the search result.
    • Click View all and locate HomeGroup.
    • Click HomeGroup and follow the on-screen guide to run the troubleshooter.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Jan 22, 2020
  4. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

1. File share no longer works - Similar Threads - File share longer

2. Video sharing no longer works on latest update of 8.95.0.412

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video sharing no longer works on latest update of 8.95.0.412: Video sharing no longer works onLatest version skype 8.95.0.412I ask for help on the helpbot and it was just useless..Skype no longer have tech to speak with? LikeBefore i had skype issues..which is very frustrating..Ive done bunch of feedbacks and help reports..Still the...
  3. Video sharing no longer works on latest update of 8.95.0.412

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video sharing no longer works on latest update of 8.95.0.412: Video sharing no longer works onLatest version skype 8.95.0.412I ask for help on the helpbot and it was just useless..Skype no longer have tech to speak with? LikeBefore i had skype issues..which is very frustrating..Ive done bunch of feedbacks and help reports..Still the...
  4. Internet Connection Sharing no Longer Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Connection Sharing no Longer Working: For my remote job am I required to have a phone that uses VoIP. Since my router is two floors below my office I have been using internet connection sharing. Wifi to my desktop, and then ethernet to the phone. I have used this setup since the start of the pandemic with zero...
  5. Internet Connection Sharing no Longer Working

Internet Connection Sharing no Longer Working: For my remote job am I required to have a phone that uses VoIP. Since my router is two floors below my office I have been using internet connection sharing. Wifi to my desktop, and then ethernet to the phone. I have used this setup since the start of the pandemic with zero...
  6. SMBv1 File Sharing Not Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMBv1 File Sharing Not Working: The inner workings of Windows area bit of an enigma to me, so I really need some help here. I work in a small office, and we have a local file sharing network set up where I can access shared folders/files on any computer. I have been working at the same computer Windows 10...
  7. SMBv1 File Sharing Not Working

SMBv1 File Sharing Not Working: The inner workings of Windows area bit of an enigma to me, so I really need some help here. I work in a small office, and we have a local file sharing network set up where I can access shared folders/files on any computer. I have been working at the same computer Windows 10...
  8. File-sharing not working

File-sharing not working: So I have one windows 10 and windows 7 PC. Prior to a couple ago the two PCs were able to connect to each other but now the two can no longer connect to each other. PC1 - windows 10, PC2_ windows 7 I tried enabling the filesharing and set everything on but somehow PC1 cant...
  9. File-sharing not working

File-sharing not working: So I have one windows 10 and windows 7 PC. Prior to a couple ago the two PCs were able to connect to each other but now the two can no longer connect to each other. PC1 - windows 10, PC2_ windows 7 I tried enabling the filesharing and set everything on but somehow PC1 cant...
  10. Network Connection to Shared Drive No Longer Working

Network Connection to Shared Drive No Longer Working: At our company we have a Windows 7 computer that has a shared drive. Everyone in the company has access to it. Last week I lost access to this shared drive. When I click on the mapped drive I get the message, "An error occurred while connecting to S: to \\server...