Windows 10: File Share server access very slow

Discus and support File Share server access very slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, Since a week ago my File Share server has been slow to open the "root" folder. Opening a folder via the path in the explorer is immediate.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by asm19, Mar 15, 2021.

1. asm19 Win User

File Share server access very slow

Hello all,

Since a week ago my File Share server has been slow to open the "root" folder. Opening a folder via the path in the explorer is immediate.
    Anyone with this problem?
    This only happens with Windows 10, when I try to access File Share through a Windows Server, it's immediate/normal.

Notes:

My "corporate" antivirus is Kaspersky, I have already uninstalled it from the server and stopped on my computer. It didn't.

PC: Kaspersky Endpoint Security 11.5.0.590
    Server: Kaspersky 11 for Windows Server (v11.0.0.480)

Issue:

Thank you

:)

asm19, Mar 15, 2021
  2. asm19 Win User

Hello all,

Since a week ago my File Share server has been slow to open the "root" folder. Opening a folder via the path in the explorer is immediate.
    Anyone with this problem?
    This only happens with Windows 10, when I try to access File Share through a Windows Server, it's immediate/normal.

Notes:

My "corporate" antivirus is Kaspersky, I have already uninstalled it from the server and stopped on my computer. It didn't.

PC: Kaspersky Endpoint Security 11.5.0.590
    Server: Kaspersky 11 for Windows Server (v11.0.0.480)

Issue:

Thank you

asm19, Mar 15, 2021
  3. File deleted on share, hosting server space unadjusted

Hello,

I have a situation where I was running through some tasks for a project I undertook for audit purposes.

What happened was I created a VHD on a share and this file was pretty big (25GB). I then accessed the share from my local work PC to test that I could mount the VHD while I was accessing it from a share. A few complaints later, the direction moves to me deleting said VHD. I still had the share mapped to my session and I had the disk unmounted. I did the "permanent delete" option from the ribbon via File Explorer and it seemed to pass on just fine without error.

Next, I decided to check that the space had been freed on the server hosting the share. To my astonishment, it did not free up the space I had taken.

I need to know why this did not go as expected and more importantly, I need to know how I can resolve this.

Systems involved:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ File Server role and hosts multiple shares
    • Windows 10 Pro (1803) PC

Tidbit:
    • I cannot restart the file server for reasons related to UPTIME.
    • I checked Shares>Open Files from Computer Management and didn't see anything for the share even after deactivating the share
    • I was the only user who could access this share at the time and I am a domain admin

TIA

That Random Guy, Mar 15, 2021
  4. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

1. File Share server access very slow - Similar Threads - File Share server

2. Windows 10 + access MDB file shared in windows 2012R2 server access to slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 + access MDB file shared in windows 2012R2 server access to slow: I have several computers with windows 10 Pro, running applications that access MDB files that are in a network drive in a windows 2012R2 Server.The programs run very slow.The same computer computer with Windows XP runs the applications with no problems, same network...
  3. Windows 10 + access MDB file shared in windows 2012R2 server access to slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 + access MDB file shared in windows 2012R2 server access to slow: I have several computers with windows 10 Pro, running applications that access MDB files that are in a network drive in a windows 2012R2 Server.The programs run very slow.The same computer computer with Windows XP runs the applications with no problems, same network...
  4. Windows 10 + access MDB file shared in windows 2012R2 server access to slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  6. File Share server access very slow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Share server access very slow: Hello all, Since a week ago my File Share server has been slow to open the "root" folder. Opening a folder via the path in the explorer is immediate. Anyone with this problem? This only happens with Windows 10, when I try to access File Share through a Windows Server, it's...
  7. W10 - File Share server access very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 - File Share server access very slow: Hello all, Since a week ago my File Share server has been slow to open the "root" folder. Opening a folder via the path in the explorer is immediate. Anyone with this problem? This only happens with Windows 10, when I try to access File Share through a Windows Server, it's...
  8. very slow access to emails ...........

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    very slow access to emails ...........: When attempting to search for contacts, I keep getting message - Your request can't be completed at the moment ...... Also, when attempting to scroll down to search emails, it takes an eternity as the system freezes then moves slowly - most frustrating. I get a message...
  9. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files: I have a Win10 PC on my network with some shared directories, the "server". The share I use most has 23,000 files in 600 folders. When I access that share from a Win 7 PC it opens pretty much instantly, but to open it from my Win 10 PC takes for ever. The green progress bar...
  10. Disc access very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disc access very slow: I have an HP Envy i7 laptop which came with a 1TB hard drive. As there was space to add a second drive I added a 500GB drive. In addition I added a 320GB drive in the DVD slot (using a dvd/disc converter cartridge). I have recently noticed that disc access in Explorer...