Windows 10: File Sharing Across Two PC's

Discus and support File Sharing Across Two PC's in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have what I hope is a simple question. BUT, first, my setup: I have two PC's, connected by an ethernet cable. So as to not get too complicated,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DJones_987, Jul 30, 2019.

1. File Sharing Across Two PC's

I have what I hope is a simple question. BUT, first, my setup:

I have two PC's, connected by an ethernet cable. So as to not get too complicated, I use those PC's with ONE mouse and ONE keyboard using Mouse Without Borders, a FANTASTIC program that is working well. There is a problem however that keeps cropping up: FILE Sharing works ALMOST flawlessly, except that when I upgrade either or both PC's to the latest Windows version, and in this case 1903, file sharing will somehow be disabled.

IS there a source for a GOOD comprehensive NETWORKING/FILE SHARING procedure and how to get the WORKGROUP, or HOMEGROUP or FILE SHARING to work both ways?

Why would I need this: I share FILES and FOLDERS across these two PC's and it has saved me so many times from loss of data or files. So, I want to continue to USE files sharing and this connection between my PC's as it is the most efficient way to have Files synced across platforms.

I also MOVE files back and forth from one PC to the other for various reasons, such as doing taxes and looking at one PC for data and the other for entry.

What am I seeing: I WILL BE LOCKED OUT of one or both and COPYING AND PASTING will not work today from one to the other. What is strange is that the PC FROM which I simply want to copy and past (to the other) is giving me an error and it seems to be related to them not being on the same Network.

I have RIGHT CLICKED and SHARED to BOTH PC's (meaning, I have said, "EVERYONE" can have access BOTH WAYS). Is there a way to get this done with a usable routine?

How do I set permissions properly the same way every time on both PC's? I need help from someone who understands this well. Microsoft's pages, at Windows reference points is hopelessly confusing and there are SO many ways to do this that I no longer can depend on ONE POINT of reference.

Bloggers who cover this have SO MANY ways to set this up, that I am not sure HOW to do it. THEY say that Microsoft has changed how to SHARE across platforms in workgroups or homegroups and I have tried it all.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

p.s. I do not see a WINDOWS TOPIC: FILE SHARING or NETWORKING.

:)

DJones_987, Jul 30, 2019

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jul 30, 2019
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Android to PC file Share - Security at risk

Hello Anuj Indoria,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address the issue, kindly help us with the following questions.

1. If the computer is connected via cable, may I know how the phone is connected to the computer?
    2. If the computer is connected via Wi-Fi, may I know how the phone is connected to the computer?
    3. When you connect the computer via Wi-Fi, will it asks for the Wi-Fi credentials or the computer credentials?
    I would recommend you to check with the below suggestions and see if it works.

Method 1: Turn on password protected sharing.

If the password protected sharing is on, only people who have a user account and password on that computer can access shared files attached to that computer and the Public folders. To restrict other people access, you must turn on password protected sharing.
    To do that

• Go to search window and type Managed advanced sharing settings and click on it.
    • Click the down arrow on the right of All Networks to expand the settings.
    • Select Turn on password protected sharing from the list and click on
      Save changes.

Method 2: Create a shared folder.

You can share files between your android and PC and keep it encrypted by creating a shared folder from the following steps.

• Create a shared folder and assign a name to it.
    • In ES File Explorer on your phone, hit the globe icon which is on the upper-left corner and navigate the network - LAN.
    • Click Search on the menu from the bottom to search for networks (Make sure to connect the phone and PC till you get the IP Address of your PC).
    • Click the icon and add your Username and Password.
    • After creating a shared folder, you can easily add sharing files back and forth using ES File explorer.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jul 30, 2019
  4. Guitar Win User

File Sharing Across Two PC's

Steam Game Sharing?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/rumor-steam-beta-update-file-suggests-game-sharing-is-coming/

This sounds pretty awesome, if true. There are a lot of old games I don't play that I'd be willing to share with friends, and there are some that I'd want to play but not sure about actually buying as well.

Guitar, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

File Sharing Across Two PC's

1. File Sharing Across Two PC's - Similar Threads - File Sharing Across

2. Sharing folders and files between two PC's on the same network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing folders and files between two PC's on the same network: I have two computers on my LAN. Desktop is Homeuser-pc. Laptop is User-pc. I can access shared Homeuser-pc files from User-pc. I can’t access User-pc files from Homeuser-pc. I have pinged both computers from the other and parcels have been received. I have shared all of my...
  3. Sharing across devices

Sharing across devices: Until last month, my desktop PC happily shared with my laptop, and my Windows explorer displayed the up to date information on screen from input into either machine.Suddenly that has stopped, and I cannot remember how I set it up in the first place.Can anyone help me with...
  4. OneDrive unwanted sync across two laptop and PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive unwanted sync across two laptop and PC: Today I opened up my laptop and OneDrive has synced everything from my pc's homescreen to my laptop's homescreen which I don't want, as I use my laptop for school and work, and desktop PC for games. My homescreen on my laptop was specifically setup and organized and now...
  5. Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.: Hello, I need a solution to share files between two Windows 10 machines. Requirements Ease of use, easy to drag-drop/save files into shared folder Good security and must keep both devices separate No wired connection If anybody has any suggestions, links/resources or...
  6. Share files across machines

Share files across machines: Again - if there is a good resource please point me to it - We have three computers, a main one and two laptops. We want store all the data on the main one. Without using OneDrive (since it seems to crash too often) - How can I have a laptop access the main computer hard...
  7. File sharing across my private network

File sharing across my private network: Quite suddenly (I presume after a Windows 10 update) both of my TV media players are unable to access files on my Windows 10 computer. Amongst other things I have tried to turn off password protected sharing, but this change does not save correctly....
  8. Share files on two PCs

Share files on two PCs: I have two laptops, both with current win10 as of 1/30/19, both access internet via same home Wi-Fi. How do I, over said Wi-Fi: 1. Reset them both to default network settings, then 2. Allow laptop A to open a file on laptop B? I just want laptop A to go to file manager,...
  9. Share files on two computer wirelessly

Share files on two computer wirelessly: How do I share files on two computer wirelessly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-files-on-two-computer-wirelessly/ee2de97e-983a-492c-a3ae-803ffe6c6dff"
  10. Can I folder/file share across subnets

Can I folder/file share across subnets: Sorry if I have the wrong terminology.... I have a router set up with subnets as in 192.168.1.xxx 192.168.2.xxx and all was well when I was using Win 7. I could have a file server PC with a static I/P of 192.168.2.25 and on it set some folders to share - everyone - read...