Windows 10: File sharing and network device access problem

Discus and support File sharing and network device access problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem with one of my laptops not being able to access shared folders. The network uses a TPlink Archer C2300 router and I have a desktop PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David Farley2, Mar 30, 2021.

1. File sharing and network device access problem

I have a problem with one of my laptops not being able to access shared folders. The network uses a TPlink Archer C2300 router and I have a desktop PC running Win 7 connected to this by Ethernet. I also have a Lenovo W530 laptop and a Lenovo ThinkBook 15-IML which both connect to my network by wi-fi. The Archer router has a USB connection which has a SSD attached. The desktop and W530 are able to access and open the files on the SSD directly using file explorer/windows explorer from these. Nothing I’ve tried on the Thinkbook 15-IML allows access to this drive however although it appears in file explorer. In addition, although I can access shared folders on the Thinkbook 15-IML from both the desktop PC and the W530 I can’t access either device from the Thinkbook 15-IML because although all devices show in file explorer Windows reports a network error stating that it can’t access them. Both laptops are running Windows 10 Professional version 20H2 build 19042.867 and I’ve been through every setting I can think of to make sure they’re configured identically so I’m completely baffled as to why the Thinkbook 15-IML refuses to behave in the same way as the W530. I have, of course, made sure that the normal sharing and network discovery settings are correct and enabled SMBv1 to try and resolve the problem. Any ideas on what else I can try please?

:)

David Farley2, Mar 30, 2021
  2. Steve C Win User

Network Sharing File Access Problem

I've just made a breakthrough! I just tried manually enabling NetBIOS on all PCs (see below) and now each PC can see all the shared folders on every other PC. However, the net view command still gives Error 6118 - The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

File sharing and network device access problem [​IMG]

Steve C, Mar 30, 2021
  3. Home Network and shared printer access problems

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are having issue with accessing the files and printer within the network and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the error message you get, while accessing the file or the Printer using Windows 7 PC?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform all the steps in all the PC that are connected in the network as suggested by Roohi Taj on January 8th, 2019
    in this

As an additional information please refer the below articles:

File sharing over a network in Windows 10

Share files in File Explorer

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 30, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

File sharing and network device access problem

How to share file access on private network

I've worked through my own network setting up notes and posted A consolidated network setup checklist [post #108] - TenForumsTutorials

I thought providing a complete list would be more helpful than just posting additional steps as I initially did in post #6 above.

Denis

Thema:

File sharing and network device access problem

1. File sharing and network device access problem - Similar Threads - File sharing network

2. Unable to access shared devices on network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access shared devices on network.: Hi, I'm setting up a small home network of three PCs C4-1, C4-2 and C4-3 that must be able to talk to each other and have their file system be accessed from another device. These PCs are all connected to the same router via ethernet cables and have been configured following...
  3. Unable to access shared devices on network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access shared devices on network.: Hi, I'm setting up a small home network of three PCs C4-1, C4-2 and C4-3 that must be able to talk to each other and have their file system be accessed from another device. These PCs are all connected to the same router via ethernet cables and have been configured following...
  4. Unable to access shared devices on network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem with accessing Network shared Printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with accessing Network shared Printer: I've been trying to access network shared printer but it is not successful. I've configured the network sharing but I still cannot access it. The versions of the PC's are Windows 10. Windows 11 and windows 11 pro.We were able to print before with no problem. I have disabled...
  6. Problem with accessing Network shared Printer

Problem with accessing Network shared Printer: I've been trying to access network shared printer but it is not successful. I've configured the network sharing but I still cannot access it. The versions of the PC's are Windows 10. Windows 11 and windows 11 pro.We were able to print before with no problem. I have disabled...
  7. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  8. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  9. Networking & File Sharing problems

Networking & File Sharing problems: I've had numerous computers over the years and never have been able to get networking/file sharing to work consistently. It works one day, then not the next. One computer sees the other but the other can't see it one day, then the next day, that computer sees the other but...
  10. Network Sharing File Access Problem

Network Sharing File Access Problem: I've been reviewing the simple folder sharing setup on my three Windows 10 PCs. I'm trying to share folders between three computers on the same network by right clicking the folder and giving access to Everyone without using a Home Group. All computers have Windows 10 Pro (PC...