Windows 10: File sharing between computers running Win 10 on WiFi network

Discus and support File sharing between computers running Win 10 on WiFi network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 computers on a home WiFi network. I used to be able to use files on the desktop from my laptop, but the laptop can no longer 'see' the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RichardMontanelli, Apr 8, 2019.

1. File sharing between computers running Win 10 on WiFi network

I have 2 computers on a home WiFi network. I used to be able to use files on the desktop from my laptop, but the laptop can no longer 'see' the desktop or it's files

:)

RichardMontanelli, Apr 8, 2019

2. Win 10 Network file sharing

I have 3 pcs on a network. One desktop running Win 10 and another desktop running Vista. They are connected to the network via Ethernet. The other pc is a laptop running Win 10 and connected via WiFi.
    The Win 10 laptop can see and share files from the Vista desktop. The Vista desktop can see and share files from the Win 10 laptop. They both can neither see or share files from the Win 10 desktop. They both know it is there because they show it as a media
    device only.
    The Win 10 desktop can see and share files from both the Win 10 laptop and the Vista desktop.
    I have shared the files on the win 10 desktop and tried to set all the sharing options I could locate. I have compared the settings of the 2 Win 10 pcs and I think the match as far as I can tell.
    Any ideas on what the problem might be with the network?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet

charlesgarvin, Apr 8, 2019
  3. File Sharing between homegroup computers using Win 10 and Win 7

None of he suggestions offered have solved he problem. However, I found out why I was not able to see the Window 7 PC folders on my Win 10 laptop. It was all related to the difference in how you find a computers on a homegroup. As it turns out, the
    Windows 10 menu structure for getting to the Network is different between the Win 7 and Win 10 operating systems. The homegroup computers can be seen on the Win 7 buy going to Network and File Sharing on the Control Panel and by clicking on the the House
    Icon between the Win 7 PC icon and the Internet Icon. These icons are not part of the Network and File Sharing menu on Win 10. Instead, the homegroup computers can be found on the Network icon under the Computer Menu on Win 10 computers. Once I found Win
    7 listed under the Network Icon on the Win 10 computer I was able to access all of the shared folders on the Win 7 PC.

shortimer831, Apr 8, 2019
  4. DaleNoel Win User

File sharing between computers running Win 10 on WiFi network

Win 10 Network Printer Connection Problem

I have tried, when using the wifi from a Win 7 computer to connect to the printer connected to it. Others can connect.

I did do the three steps outlined:

• Open File Explorer. Pick the "Network" icon from the left pane (navigation pane) of the file explorer UI.
    • If sharing is turned off you will see a pale yellow line towards the top of the window that states "Network Discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change...".
    • Click this bar and select "Turn on network discovery and file sharing"

None of the suggestion worked.

I did notice that the PC I'm connecting to is 'Private' while I am listed as 'Public'.

• Can this be causing the problem?
    • Are there other suggestions?

I need to be connected to use the other printer so work flow can not be disrupted and someone else needs to print the file for me.

I will be with this group again on Monday.

Thank you.

DaleNoel, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

File sharing between computers running Win 10 on WiFi network

1. File sharing between computers running Win 10 on WiFi network - Similar Threads - File sharing between

2. Sharing files/folders between PCs running Windows 10 and Windows 11 via a WiFi network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing files/folders between PCs running Windows 10 and Windows 11 via a WiFi network: My dad has two PCs, one running the latest version of Windows 10 and another running the latest version of Windows 11.He went into the settings on both PCs and made sure all the Network Discovery settings for a Private Network were on, as well as Network Sharing, and he also...
  3. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  4. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Support
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  5. File sharing between my two Win!0 computers on my WiFi network worked perfectly for a week...

File sharing between my two Win!0 computers on my WiFi network worked perfectly for a week...: File sharing between my two Win!0 computers on my WiFi network worked perfectly for a week or two , then stopped working. I did not change anything! I just needto open files that reside on my old computer Hard Drive from my new computer. Thank you! Oct 2020...
  6. trying to share files between computers on the same wifi network

trying to share files between computers on the same wifi network: Struggling to share files between my desktop and laptop on the same wifi in the same house. Had no problems with HomeGroup, but that's long gone. File Explorer = share file with Specific Person...all I get is Windows cannot find that person Anyone figure this out?...
  7. sharing files between computers.

sharing files between computers.: Let me be clear. I have a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer, I'm having a hideous time trying to share files between the computers, (I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN ONLINE FILE SHARING SYSTEM TO SHARE THE FILES.) I.E. Onedrive. both computers are on the same network...
  8. share file between computers

share file between computers: Trying to share files between computers on same Wifi network but when I click on file to share.. Share icon is gray and not available to click on. Using Win 10 home edition and other computer is using Win 10 pro...
  9. Unable to SHARE files between 2 Win 10 computers

Unable to SHARE files between 2 Win 10 computers: Computer 1: Windows 10 Desktop Computer 2: Windows 10 Laptop On both machines, I have: Turn on network discovery. Turn on file and printer sharing. (same for Guest/Public) Allow Windows manage homegroup connections. Turn on sharing so anyone with network access...
  10. problem sharing files between computers on the same network

problem sharing files between computers on the same network: I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop, and I have (successfully) connected/shared my old Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop (via an Ethernet cable) so that I can copy files from the old to the new. An odd problem has occurred: When attempting to copy some folders (e.g.,...