Windows 10: File sharing between two computers speed is limited.

Discus and support File sharing between two computers speed is limited. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Alright. So I've gone through 2 or 3 hours of troubleshooting now. I'm using the basic sharing system embedded in windows 10 to share files between my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Digi_3333, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Digi_3333 Win User

File sharing between two computers speed is limited.

Alright. So I've gone through 2 or 3 hours of troubleshooting now. I'm using the basic sharing system embedded in windows 10 to share files between my main computer and a PC I set up across the house for backups.

Both are capable of gigabit speeds and connected through Cat6A cable. Both are connected to the same gigabit network, and even the same gigabit switch. Both get gigabit speeds to the greater internet, and IPerf states that they can connect to each other through gigabit speeds.

The drives are both capable of well in excess of gigabit speeds, as testing shows they're sitting at 200-210 MB/s, which is about 1.6 Gb/s. Transferring the same files between different drives on the same system has them going at 200MB/s, but trying to transfer the files through the built-in sharing system puts them anywhere from 12.5MB/s to 16MB/s, which is well beneath gigabit, and is annoyingly slow when you're backing up 6TB of data.

I've tried disabling offloading of all protocols, disabling LSO, disabling auto-tuning, and forcing the computers to use 1000Mb full duplex setting. I've basically ruled out it being the network, the hardware, or the files, and all that I am left with is that windows either has a setting somewhere or is arbitrarily limiting the file transfer speed.

Anyone have any ideas?

:)

Digi_3333, Dec 28, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Dec 28, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 7 File Sharing between computers, PROBLEMS!!

Just do a file transfer in explorer from one computer to the other and see what speed you get. I would suggest avoiding homegroup and using a proper network setup instead.

newtekie1, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Kyle Win User

Windows 10 Pro Internet Speed Limitation?

Hi guys.
    I've had to mark this as unresolved and bring it back up as the issue has returned. I am not sure what it is that is causing this as I haven't installed any program that would limit, manage/handle bandwidth usage.
    Below are a few screenshots of my Programs and Features list and the list of Windows Updates:

File sharing between two computers speed is limited. [​IMG]

To also note; I have done a few speedtests and the result is the same as before I reinstalled Windows. (100-144Mbps) After reinstalling, for a few weeks I was getting my full speed. (380Mbps) Then it suddenly capped. My iPhone XR (being connected to my 5GHz WiFi network) gets the full speed.

I have also redone the "tweaks" for trying to remove the limitation as in tutorials on Google. No help. None of these "fixes" actually work. That is to say; updating my network card driver (in this case my TP-Link TG-3468 Gigabit Ethernet PCI card), using Command Prompt with the few commands suggested to use, GPEdit.msc, etc. None of these work. Windows 10 is still limiting/capping my Internet and it is beyond frustrating. Delivery Optimization is also disabled and Limit Reservable Bandwidth in QoS Packet Scheduler is set to 0%.

I should also note that my Private Internet Access VPN is disabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Typing this into an elevated command prompt seemed to allow me to use more of my speed, but not 350Mbps+.
    I'm assuming it is peak times at the moment.

File sharing between two computers speed is limited. b79c8b13-8099-463d-bea7-e6b97e46b502.png

Thema:

1. File sharing between two computers speed is limited. - Similar Threads - File sharing between

2. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  3. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Support
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  4. Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.: Hello, I need a solution to share files between two Windows 10 machines. Requirements Ease of use, easy to drag-drop/save files into shared folder Good security and must keep both devices separate No wired connection If anybody has any suggestions, links/resources or...
  5. File sharing between 2 computers

File sharing between 2 computers: File sharing between 2 computers used to be easy when Homegroup was available! How do I file/folder share between 2 computers using Windows 10? If I right click on a folder> Give Access to > Homegroup is not accessible. If I select "specific people" > Add it tells me this...
  6. Trying to share files between two PCs

Trying to share files between two PCs: I have two PCs running the latest Windows 10 software connected to the same network. I really need to be able to have the computers see each other so I can share files between the two. However, that doesn't seem to be the case and I always seem to have problems. For the sake...
  7. How to share files between two computers over the network?

How to share files between two computers over the network?: What is Network permissions, I am trying to connect two computers together over the network and receive this message unable to connect ,to ... see your network adiministrator for network permission. ***Modified title from: Networkimg , permission ***...
  8. Share Data Between the two Computers

Share Data Between the two Computers: I have two computers on a private network. I need to share data between the two computers \ I have two computers on a private network. I need to share data between them. Some times I can see both computers and sometimes I cant. [Original Title: Roy]...
  9. sharing files between computers.

sharing files between computers.: Let me be clear. I have a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer, I'm having a hideous time trying to share files between the computers, (I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN ONLINE FILE SHARING SYSTEM TO SHARE THE FILES.) I.E. Onedrive. both computers are on the same network...
  10. share file between computers

share file between computers: Trying to share files between computers on same Wifi network but when I click on file to share.. Share icon is gray and not available to click on. Using Win 10 home edition and other computer is using Win 10 pro...