Windows 10: File sharing between users at different locations

Discus and support File sharing between users at different locations in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I would like to share files across different computers with different users. For example, the admin user on Desktop would like to have full control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dvongrad, Aug 14, 2018.

1. dvongrad Win User

File sharing between users at different locations

I would like to share files across different computers with different users. For example, the admin user on Desktop would like to have full control over Laptop and vice versa.

I have network discovery and file sharing turned on, the proper services are started, and the drives shared as Desktop-C and Laptop-C. When I go into Advanced Sharing and then Permissions, I can set the Everyone user to have Full Control over everything and I can create, edit, and delete on both computers from the other to my heart's content. What I would like to have is Everyone to have Read access to the other PC and \\DESKTOP\Admin to have Full Control over Laptop-C and \\LAPTOP\Admin to have Full Control over Desktop-C. I thought I could go into Locations... to see the other computer and then specify the user with the syntax \\COMPUTER\User. But all I see in the Locations dialog box is the name of that computer, so I have no opportunity to select another computer's user.

I would like to extend this scenario to have full control over my daughter's computer but for her to have write access over select portions of mine. I don't want to have to resort to OneDrive just to share a few files back and forth.

This seems like it should be easy to do, but I can't seem to find a link that describes a solution for what I would like to do. Any input on this is much appreciated.

:)

dvongrad, Aug 14, 2018
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Aug 14, 2018
  3. File Sharing to get a speed boost

File sharing could become a lot faster in the near future as a team of researchers has developed a new technology which could see speed increases of up to 500%. Current technologies such as BitTorrent are limited by the number of people sharing a certain file, however the new research will allow software to spot chunks of data from a different download that contain identical or very similar data, therefore allowing more download locations. For example, if a song were being shared from a number of locations, it may have different information in the ID tags for various reasons and therefore conventional sharing methods would not recognise it as being the same data. But Similarity-Enhanced Transfer (SET) would spot these other songs and allow the user to download from these locations as well. The system basically assigns a rank based on how similar files are, and will then allow chunks of the file to be shared based on this.

techPowerUp! does not support the use of file sharing software for illegal purposes. The above is just an example.

Source: BBC News

Jimmy 2004, Aug 14, 2018
  4. JMX
    jmx Win User

How to selectively share files via network on different PCs in v1803?

I am having exactly the same problem as Kabigon described. My two computers show up under "Network" in File Explorer. When I click on the other computer it lists the Users (if they have at least one file shared with "Everyone"). But I cannot share a file with a single user. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate the info.
    Brink, if no one comes up with a Windows 10 network solution I may end up with a NAS.

Thema:

1. File sharing between users at different locations - Similar Threads - File sharing between

2. what's the difference between sharing and advanced sharing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what's the difference between sharing and advanced sharing?: hi all,1win 102right click on a folder, click "properties", then "sharing" tab, there are "sharing" and "advanced sharing".Q:1what's the difference?2which setting will take effect if both are set?thanks,...
  3. what's the difference between sharing and advanced sharing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what's the difference between sharing and advanced sharing?: hi all,1win 102right click on a folder, click "properties", then "sharing" tab, there are "sharing" and "advanced sharing".Q:1what's the difference?2which setting will take effect if both are set?thanks,...
  4. what's the difference between sharing and advanced sharing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File and folder sharing between multiple network location users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File and folder sharing between multiple network location users: Sadly, this thread was locked with no answer except the one both I and the OP of that thread expected to work but that didn't stopped at step 12.I have two computers discoverable on my home network as Hazel-Desktop and Hazel-Laptop. I would like full access to both devices'...
  6. File and folder sharing between multiple network location users

File and folder sharing between multiple network location users: Sadly, this thread was locked with no answer except the one both I and the OP of that thread expected to work but that didn't stopped at step 12.I have two computers discoverable on my home network as Hazel-Desktop and Hazel-Laptop. I would like full access to both devices'...
  7. Ubuntu Sharing between Users

Ubuntu Sharing between Users: I have installed Ubuntu 20.x LTS from Microsoft Store in my windows 10 PC. Unfortunately, the other users on my PC may not able to access/share the Ubuntu installation. How do I share with the other users in this same machine without doing individual installation. If I...
  8. Programs and desktop are shared between different user accounts.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs and desktop are shared between different user accounts.: Hello, I have a bought a new laptop which 3 different people will share so I created 3 different user accounts for each person. I would assume that each user would see his/her own programs and desktop but that doesn't seem to be the case. When someone adds something...
  9. Network File Sharing - Different Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network File Sharing - Different Users: I'm trying to understand the latest W10 ver. 1803 network file sharing, like I've been trying to do with all other Windows versions since Windows began. I think I've boiled it down to a simple question: There are two networked computers named "BLUE" and "YELLOW". Blue has...
  10. Share apps between users

Share apps between users: Hi I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I've had a bit of a look and can't find it. I got a win 10 pc for my son's for Christmas so they can do some light gaming and homework. They both have thier own login for the pc. My question is can I download an app/game from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to share files between pc in different locations