Windows 10: File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop

Discus and support File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Desktop PC and a Windows 7 Desktop PC. I want to be able to have access to certain folders on the Windows 10 PC to play music,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BossGator, Apr 11, 2019.

1. BossGator Win User

File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop

I have a Windows 10 Desktop PC and a Windows 7 Desktop PC. I want to be able to have access to certain folders on the Windows 10 PC to play music, videos and view/edit documents. The reverse is true, but mainly for just transferring something over.

Previously I was using a HomeGroup and up until even the very latest Windows 10 update (from this past Tuesday) it was still working. I know HomeGroups were removed during a previous update, but it was still working so I couldn't be bothered to stop using a HomeGroup.

Since this latest update if I clicked on any folder it loaded super slowly (had a loading bar at the top along the file path) and if I tried to open any file it just froze the program trying to open it.

So I figured it was time to remove the HomeGroup and just do a regular file share. I disconnected the Windows 7 PC from the HomeGroup.

I then went about to test one folder to network share. From file explorer I chose "Give Access to" --> "Specific People" ---> then picked my user account.

I mapped a network drive on the Windows 7 PC to this location to get it to show up, then when I click on it I get the same damn slow load of the folder with a green bar at the top of explorer, followed by a freeze up if I open any file.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on, so any help is appreciated.

I have network discovery turned on on both computers. I have both computers set to automatic (delayed) startup of the services: Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication as well as SSDP and UPNP.

:)

BossGator, Apr 11, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Remote Desktop, Windows 10, Need help with how to set up sharing

You have to set remote desktop to allow remote connections. This is completely different from sharing settings and sharing files in Windows. You also need Windows 10 Professional on the computer you want to remote control. These settings are not in Windows 10 Home edition.

Also, do not share your primary drive! This is a very bad idea.

File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop upload_2016-11-10_17-31-35-png.png

newtekie1, Apr 11, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Apr 11, 2019
  4. File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop

Install windows 10, 7 or both on my desktop pc?!

so. my new desktop is here (the one in my specs list), and although i only got 1x 250gb ssd for now, im still unsure whether i should install windows 7 or 10... i have been using windows 7 until today, but im tempted to give windows 10 a go, to see how it works etc, since i have never tried it properly. on the other hand, im super comfy with windows 7. i know it quite well and im very satisfied with it. i know that im stuck with DX11 for windows 7, but im not the hardcore gamer or so, but i'd like to have the possibility to play future games too, but i can still do that with windows 7, can't i?

so. im leaning more towards installing windows 7 at first and then maybe install windows 10 as a secondary OS. how does that sound? would it work good? i have tried reading up on a recent thread in here about that, and that seemed to be working great for that person.

anything i should remember/keep in mind when/if i choose to have 2 OS on 1x hdd? obviously, i need to install them onto 2 different partitions, but how much space should i allocate for each OS on my 250gb ssd? that way, if i dislike windows 10 that much, i can simply continue with my windows 7 and just delete the window 10 partition.

thanks for any advises on this.

minstreless, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop

1. File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop - Similar Threads - File Sharing Between

2. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  3. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  4. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to share files between Windows 7 and Windows 10

How to share files between Windows 7 and Windows 10: I've seen a thousand fruitless answers to this simple question. However I don't see an answer that has even a single response saying "this worked, thank you" or "file sharing between windows 7 and windows 10 is not supported". A lot of these posts are years old, so I am...
  6. Issues while sharing file between Windows 7 and Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues while sharing file between Windows 7 and Windows 10: Sharing win7 pc with win10 why won't one recognize the other? ***Original title: Sharing win7 pc with win10 why won't one recognize the other?***...
  7. sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer

sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer: I have no problem accessing shared files on the windows 7 computer from my windows 10 laptop but the desktop running w7 says I don't have permission to access the laptop, what am I doing wrong?...
  8. Sharing files and folders between Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 desktop

Sharing files and folders between Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 desktop: Since buying a new HP laptop with Windows 10, I have had incomplete access to folders and files in my husband's Windows 7 desktop. All the sharing permissions have been activated in the Advanced options of the Network and Sharing centre in both computers and files that I...
  9. More file sharing between Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines

More file sharing between Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines: Ok, I've searched multiple places for this information and tried a great many things, but nothing is working correctly. My desktop is Windows 7, laptop is Windows 10 on my private home network that uses a single router. Both show up in each other's Network folders. I can...
  10. Sharing files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7

Sharing files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7: Is it possible to EASILY share files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-windows-10-1803-and-windows/414da0bf-34b4-4bc6-9ef2-8779f5fd4d01

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sharing windows 7 and windows 10 pc

2. file sharing windows 7 and windows 10