Windows 10: File sharing disappears after restart

Discus and support File sharing disappears after restart in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have two home computers networked by Ethernet to an ATT cable modem. I find that if I do a network reset and make sure all the settings are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zafflower, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Zafflower Win User

File sharing disappears after restart

Hi,
    I have two home computers networked by Ethernet to an ATT cable modem. I find that if I do a network reset and make sure all the settings are correct in Network and sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings that the two computers will be correctly networked together and I can share files as well as media. However, after a restart, the File and Printer Sharing will be gone with only Media sharing remaining.

I did notice that when I get to Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings > Media Streaming that only "Media players on this computer" shows up in the Local network dropdown, but both computers show up in the All networks dropdown. Could this have something to do with the problem? Any other suggestion? Thanks.

:)

Zafflower, Sep 15, 2020
  2. Guitar Win User

Steam Game Sharing?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/rumor-steam-beta-update-file-suggests-game-sharing-is-coming/

This sounds pretty awesome, if true. There are a lot of old games I don't play that I'd be willing to share with friends, and there are some that I'd want to play but not sure about actually buying as well.

Guitar, Sep 15, 2020
  3. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Sep 15, 2020
  4. File sharing disappears after restart

Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

File sharing disappears after restart

1. File sharing disappears after restart - Similar Threads - File sharing disappears

2. Unsaved Notepad files disappear after Windows 11 restarted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsaved Notepad files disappear after Windows 11 restarted: Hi all,I need help here please. I have been working on a project with lots of jottings kept on two separate notepads. This afternoon, I just finished a project review session and I needed to pick my kids up from school.I dashed of the house because I was already late. I...
  3. Unsaved Notepad files disappear after Windows 11 restarted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unsaved Notepad files disappear after Windows 11 restarted: Hi all,I need help here please. I have been working on a project with lots of jottings kept on two separate notepads. This afternoon, I just finished a project review session and I needed to pick my kids up from school.I dashed of the house because I was already late. I...
  4. D drive disappear after restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D drive disappear after restarting: So when I turn off my pc and turn it on againMy d drive window pops and disappears very quicklyAnd my D drive also disappears The data and everything is there but I have to assign it a drive letter everytime.How can I fix this ?...
  5. D drive disappear after restarting

D drive disappear after restarting: So when I turn off my pc and turn it on againMy d drive window pops and disappears very quicklyAnd my D drive also disappears The data and everything is there but I have to assign it a drive letter everytime.How can I fix this ?...
  6. Disappearing files after restart that are still actually there...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing files after restart that are still actually there...: Hi,I have a brand new laptop running Windows 10 and a brand new external drive which I attach via USB. I have what I consider to be a very weird problem, concerning missing files which are not actually missing.I was working on 3 documents which were all saved into a certain...
  7. Disappearing files after restart that are still actually there...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing files after restart that are still actually there...: Hi,I have a brand new laptop running Windows 10 and a brand new external drive which I attach via USB. I have what I consider to be a very weird problem, concerning missing files which are not actually missing.I was working on 3 documents which were all saved into a certain...
  8. Disappearing files after restart that are still actually there...

9. Local account disappeared after restart, files still accessible?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local account disappeared after restart, files still accessible?: Hey all, some help recovering my account would be very appreciated. I recently have done some upgrades to my computer like a different motherboard and new GPU. All was good and running well for a few hours until I restarted my computer. Upon the reboot, the windows login...
  10. bluetooth disappears after i restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    bluetooth disappears after i restart: from a few days whenever I restart my pc, Bluetooth gets disappeared. and I have to shut down it and sart it manually. how con i resolve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluetooth-disappears-after-i-restart/e4c4922d-0786-40ac-8456-272ef1318a2b