Windows 10: File sharing fails when switching from Ethernet connection to WiFi

Discus and support File sharing fails when switching from Ethernet connection to WiFi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a network with : 2 Pcs on W10 Pro (PC1 & PC2) 1 WindowsHomeServer (WHS) a box to connect to the Internet File sharing is enable and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FGBigaudes, May 25, 2019.

1. File sharing fails when switching from Ethernet connection to WiFi

Hi,

I have a network with :

• 2 Pcs on W10 Pro (PC1 & PC2)
    • 1 WindowsHomeServer (WHS)
    • a box to connect to the Internet

File sharing is enable and everything works fine each PC can access the Internet and files from all computers.

To get rid of the ethernet cable, I installed a WifI (Netgear AC7000) on PC1 . From then on :

• Internet is still available for all machines
    • PC1 can still access all files from all computers
    • backups for PC1 & 2 are done everyday by WHS
    • but PC2 cannot access PC1 files . PC1 shows up in the network on PC2 but when trying to open PC1 files I get an error message code 0x80070035

As soon as I plug back the ethernet cable everything is back to normal.

I would appreciate advice

Thks

FGM

:)

FGBigaudes, May 25, 2019
  2. N.I.M.S. Win User

Sharing files between wifi and ethernet networks on same cable modem.

Greetings,

I just set up file sharing between a couple of my computers that are connected by ethernet to my modem, but am unable to set up sharing between those on ethernet and those that are on wifi. All of my devises are on the same cable modem and I have no switches/hubs/etc
    connected.

How can I enable sharing of files between computers that are on wifi with those that are on ethernet?

Win 10 64 build 1803

Thanks,

Mike

N.I.M.S., May 25, 2019
  3. srdavis Win User
    Make Windows 10 connect/disconnect to WiFi based on Ethernet connection status

Steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\ All Control Panel Items\ Network and Sharing Center > click on 'Change adapter settings' then use the 'alt button' to show menus and select Advanced Settings...
    2. Under Connections section, select Ethernet, and use the arrows to the right to move Ethernet above WiFi.
    3. Click OK.

Windows will now prefer the Ethernet over the WiFi for connecting to the internet. This should apply for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

srdavis, May 25, 2019
  4. Kane Win User

File sharing fails when switching from Ethernet connection to WiFi

Switching from ethernet connection to Wifi issue

i appreciate the reply, but i shouldn't have to buy anything like that if it used to work perfectly before an OS upgrade. all i'm doing really is trying to switch from an ethernet connection to a wifi connection. Range is not the issue here

Thema:

File sharing fails when switching from Ethernet connection to WiFi

1. File sharing fails when switching from Ethernet connection to WiFi - Similar Threads - File sharing fails

2. Ethernet IP not changing when sharing wifi by it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet IP not changing when sharing wifi by it: HiI want to share my wifi through ethernet with another device but when enabling sharing, the IP of ethernet doesn’t change to default 192.168.137.1It stays the same a before although in ipv4 settings it says it should be 192.168.137.1 but not in status of connection or...
  3. Ethernet IP not changing when sharing wifi by it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet IP not changing when sharing wifi by it: HiI want to share my wifi through ethernet with another device but when enabling sharing, the IP of ethernet doesn’t change to default 192.168.137.1It stays the same a before although in ipv4 settings it says it should be 192.168.137.1 but not in status of connection or...
  4. Ethernet IP not changing when sharing wifi by it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No wifi and no connection when connected to ethernet

No wifi and no connection when connected to ethernet: Hello, I feel like I've tried everything I've found on here but I'm sure there's a fix. I have an ASUS K73E that after updating from Windows 7 to 10 is no longer connecting to the internet. I've tried toggling F2 and no wifi. I'm currently plugged in to the ethernet cable and...
  6. Computer switching from wifi to ethernet constantly.

Computer switching from wifi to ethernet constantly.: So my motherboard has wifi built into it, I have the MPG Z590 Gaming Edge motherboard. I also have my ethernet connected to my router to my pc. When I Launch my computer, it switches back and forth between the two so for at least 2 minutes im constantly connecting and...
  7. Internet Connection sharing not working (NOT to share between ethernet to wifi)

Internet Connection sharing not working (NOT to share between ethernet to wifi): Dear community, Maybe you can be of some better assistance given Microsofts support line just hung up on me (Mid sentence) when i explained that i had tried their solutions and they didn't work and that i know it isn't a hardware fault as it works when i run a live OS. So...
  8. Sharing Internet Connection FROM WiFi TO Ethernet

Sharing Internet Connection FROM WiFi TO Ethernet: Hi, I am trying to share an internet connection from a Windows 10 Laptop to a device that cannot access a Username/Password secured WiFi Network. However I cannot seem to stop the Ethernet Connection from automatically turning the WiFi off. I have tried changing the...
  9. BSOD when switching from ethernet to Wifi: "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when switching from ethernet to Wifi: "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED": Hello, I'm hoping that someone can help me solve my various BSOD events with windows 10. My windows logs are also full of critical errors. Essentially, every few days, (I can't replicate the issue at will), after I've used my laptop (Fujitsu u904 Lifebook) on it's...
  10. Switching from ethernet connection to Wifi issue

Switching from ethernet connection to Wifi issue: Hi guys. Bit of a "first world problem" here i know but it is slightly irritating and really would appreciate any help There is 2 computers and 2 virgin superhubs in the house i live in (not both mine) both ethernet connected. Occasionally i have to unplug my superhub and...