Windows 10: File sharing issue on a local Network

Discus and support File sharing issue on a local Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 computers at home running windows 10, same microsoft login Now when I'm connect to my personal LAN I would like to have both computers being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ajnstein, Feb 3, 2020.

1. ajnstein Win User

File sharing issue on a local Network

I have 2 computers at home running windows 10, same microsoft login

Now when I'm connect to my personal LAN I would like to have both computers being able to browse each others files,

so I can use the local network to transfer files both ways

I tried giving all persmissions to every users, for the hard drive, for separate folder etc, both computers

Every sharing option is set to sharing, no password protection

Right now both computers can see each others folders, but only one will have access to the other,

the other way around there's a permission error.

How to fix this?

***Original title: file permissions home network***

:)

ajnstein, Feb 3, 2020

2. file sharing over local network issues

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

I would suggest the following to resolve the issue you are faced with.

Method 1: Windows can't detect a computer on a Public network. To fix this problem, you can try changing the network location to Home or Work or try connecting to a network that already has a Home or Work network location.

Method 2:

If Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol is disabled on the network adapter. Windows uses the LLTD protocol to map computers and devices on a network. To enable LLTD, follow these steps:

• Right click on the Start menu and select
      Control Panel
      . In the search box, type adapter, and then, under
      Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.

• Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.

• Select the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver and
      Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder check boxes, and then click
      OK.

[*]
    Method 3: To turn on network discovery, follow these steps:

• Right click on the Start menu and select
      Control Panel
      . In the search box, type network, click
      Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click
      Change advanced sharing settings.

• Click the drop down icon to expand the Home or Work network profile.

• Click Turn on network discovery, and then click
      Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 3, 2020
  3. File sharing over local network

Hello Larry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please try the following methods and check if that resolves the issue:

Method 1:
    Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows10 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Network Adapter Settings on the computer. It also checks if the network adapter drivers are up to date or not. It may
    also provide you some clue about the hardware failures happening to the Network Adapter. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Network Adapter”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Once after running the troubleshooters, check troubleshooting reports and let’s know the details. You may also try out the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps.

You may also try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Network Card Drivers from the computer/network card manufacturer’s website and check the status of the issue.

Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the Network Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Network Adapter Drivers

• Right click on Start menu.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Network Adapter from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then
      remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Network Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Network Card model and then install it by following the instructions
    given in the website.

You may also refer to the articles given below, try the suggestions given in them and check if that helps:

Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...3&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

(Applicable for windows 10 also.)

Please wait while the system check for the updates. If updates are found, click on Install updates.

Hope the information helps to fix the issue, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Feb 3, 2020
  4. File sharing issue on a local Network

Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

File sharing issue on a local Network

1. File sharing issue on a local Network - Similar Threads - File sharing issue

2. Network File Sharing Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network File Sharing Issues: I have a desktop PC and a laptop, both running Windows 10 and connected on the same LAN. For some time, I cannot get access to the shared file folders on both the laptop and on the LAN Router. Reason is 'Windows cannot access XXX the network path was not found'. No idea...
  3. OneDrive media sharing issue on local network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive media sharing issue on local network: We keep family multimedia photos, videos, etc in appropriately named OneDrive subdirectories. Then there is another directory containing lots of random movies & TV shows kept OUTSIDE of OneDrive to save GB storage limits. Works perfectly keeping everything in sync across...
  4. Network File Sharing Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network File Sharing Issue: I could access \\OtherUserPcName and enter their PC to view his shared file/folder, but others could not access \\MyPcName to view my shared folder. I have checked all the necessary options in network sharing setting, and my connection is set to private.Are there any settings...
  5. Network File Sharing Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network File Sharing Issue: I could access \\OtherUserPcName and enter their PC to view his shared file/folder, but others could not access \\MyPcName to view my shared folder. I have checked all the necessary options in network sharing setting, and my connection is set to private.Are there any settings...
  6. Network File Sharing Issue

7. File Sharing Over a local network

File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  8. Unable to share files on local network

Unable to share files on local network: Why has Microsoft disabled the file sharing capabilities for home users? Ever since Homegroups were tossed out, sharing files between our families PC's has become a real challenge. This time of year tax time makes this really frustrating as - being the "accountant" for our...
  9. local network sharing folders permission issues

local network sharing folders permission issues: How do I fix access issues on my local network? I tried doing a full control setting on the other family member network computer. The shared folder shows up, but I still can't get access to the contents of the folder....
  10. Network File Sharing Issues

Network File Sharing Issues: Im trying to view computers over my local network. One computer can see the other, the other computer cannot. Both were fully reinstalled and updated today Both had Computer Browser disabled upon reinstall +installed RIP Listener +Installed WMI SNMP Provider +Installed...