Windows 10: File sharing over LAN

Discus and support File sharing over LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am wondering if it is possible to share files over the LAN for specific users on 2 computers in my network? I can't seem to do what I need to do.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by windoofus, Jan 8, 2020.

1. windoofus Win User

File sharing over LAN

I am wondering if it is possible to share files over the LAN for specific users on 2 computers in my network? I can't seem to do what I need to do.

Anyhow, this is the setup: 2 Windows 10 computers connected by ethernet cables to the same modem / router. (I am at home and the computers are at the office so I do not have the version number in front of me, but I believe they are both Win10 home edition and both have all of the latest windows update.) Each computer has several users. I need to be able to selectively share folders and files to specific users on each computer.

I enabled file sharing but can't seem to selectively share files. For example, when I right click a folder that I want to share on the network, enabled sharing, and then go to set permissions in the advanced sharing area the only users showing up on the permission user list are users who are on the same computer as the one enabling the file sharing. I can't select users on the secondary / client computer to give permission to. The only way I can give access to the client computer is by selecting the "everyone" permission setting, but I do not want everyone on the client and server computers having access to the files.

Is it possible to limit the file sharing to specific profile users from the client computer, or is file sharing from other computers limited to having to share to the entire computer? If so, how do you go about being able to access the user profiles on other computers in the file sharing permission area?

Any help is appreciated. I am stumped and frustrated. Thanks.

:)

windoofus, Jan 8, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Good LAN party games?

Most of my suggestions have already been listed.

However, I found Swat4 to actually be a pretty fun LAN game, especially at smaller LAN parties.

newtekie1, Jan 8, 2020
  3. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 8, 2020
  4. windoofus Win User

File sharing over LAN

File sharing over LAN

I am wondering if it is possible to share files over the LAN for specific users on 2 computers in my network? I can't seem to do what I need to do.

Anyhow, this is the setup: 2 Windows 10 computers connected by ethernet cables to the same modem / router. (I am at home and the computers are at the office so I do not have the version number in front of me, but I believe they are both Win10 home edition and both have all of the latest windows update.) Each computer has several users. I need to be able to selectively share folders and files to specific users on each computer.

I enabled file sharing but can't seem to selectively share files. For example, when I right click a folder that I want to share on the network, enabled sharing, and then go to set permissions in the advanced sharing area the only users showing up on the permission user list are users who are on the same computer as the one enabling the file sharing. I can't select users on the secondary / client computer to give permission to. The only way I can give access to the client computer is by selecting the "everyone" permission setting, but I do not want everyone on the client and server computers having access to the files.

Is it possible to limit the file sharing to specific profile users from the client computer, or is file sharing from other computers limited to having to share to the entire computer? If so, how do you go about being able to access the user profiles on other computers in the file sharing permission area?

Any help is appreciated. I am stumped and frustrated. Thanks.

windoofus, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

File sharing over LAN

1. File sharing over LAN - Similar Threads - File sharing LAN

2. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  3. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  4. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN

Troubleshooting broken file/drive sharing over LAN: Hello Microsoft Community,To start this headache off let me explain what me end goal is here. I have a NAS server hosting my PLEX media library and, up to this point, had the UHD Blu-Ray drive for adding movies directly connected to it. I've rearranged things now and the...
  6. File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped

File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped: My two desktops on the same LAN, connected to the same router, suddenly stopped being able to share files. It was working just a few days ago. Let's day, the desktops are "A" and "B", and the router name is "R" Both pc sees two media devices, Computer "A" and Router "R",...
  7. Sharing USB port over LAN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing USB port over LAN: In our medical organization we bought these graphical tablets for our doctors. They will be used to sign documents of our patients. One tablet for each cabinet. Problem is, there are 2 PCs. We connect the tablet to one PC and would like other PC to have access to it as well....
  8. (HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer

(HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer: I have two PC's running Windows 10. One of them is my main computer used for browsing, gaming w/e, and the other one is basically a storage unit where I keep all big files and folders such as a movie collection of about 1.7tb and so on and so forth. Now, both these PC's are...
  9. Shared files over wifi

Shared files over wifi: Have 2 pcs running Windows 10 pro. The once with router & LAN cable can see shared files on the other but the one which uses wifi can't see shared files on the other, although it can connect to the internet. Help!...
  10. LAN file sharing

LAN file sharing: I want to file share between my desktop computer, which has an ethernet connection to the router and my laptop which is connected by wifi. The desktop connection is called N***** 6 and the wifi network is called B*********R. The laptop can't "see" the desktop and vice versa....