Windows 10: File Sharing Through the Network

Discus and support File Sharing Through the Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got two computers on my network. One of them has files that the other needs to access. The computer that hosts the files is a Windows 10 machine.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shane Lambert 5891, Oct 14, 2019.

1. File Sharing Through the Network

I've got two computers on my network. One of them has files that the other needs to access. The computer that hosts the files is a Windows 10 machine. The other one recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. Ever since that upgrade the computer that is trying to access the shared files on the other computer cannot access the files unless the host PC is unlocked, whereas before the update (while it was still on Windows 7) it would let them access the files even if it was locked. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

:)

Shane Lambert 5891, Oct 14, 2019

2. Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 14, 2019
  3. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 14, 2019
  4. File Sharing Through the Network

Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

File Sharing Through the Network

1. File Sharing Through the Network - Similar Threads - File Sharing Through

2. Unable To Access Files From An Another Computer Through Network Sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable To Access Files From An Another Computer Through Network Sharing: I Have Two Laptops One Running On Zorins Os 16 Core Which Is Based On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS And Other Running On Windows 10.I Want Access Some Files From My Zorin Os Laptop Through Network Sharing I Have Shared Folder From Zorin Os I'm Able To See What Files I Have Shared Over...
  3. How to share files through network in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to share files through network in windows 11: Hello,I have two computers installed windows 11 and each computer has files set to share in the network. These two computers have all added to “ZENG” workgroup.However, when I click the network in each computer, there is only the computer itself. So, sharing files is not...
  4. How to share files through network in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to share files through network in windows 11: Hello,I have two computers installed windows 11 and each computer has files set to share in the network. These two computers have all added to “ZENG” workgroup.However, when I click the network in each computer, there is only the computer itself. So, sharing files is not...
  5. File sharing through network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing through network: For years I have been able to access my desktop from my laptop and vice versa. Now it only partially happens. I know that there have been Windows updates/changes, etc., but I can't see how that affects my situation. So far as I know I have taken all steps to share files....
  6. Network / File share

Network / File share: I have just about given up trying to share files and folders between computers on my home LAN. I have a desktop PC and a Microsoft Surface, both running fully updated Windows 10. Sometimes, they can see each other in File Explorer under network. Most often they cannot....
  7. File Sharing on the network

File Sharing on the network: I want to share files with other specific users on our small LAN (7 PC's). Here is as far as I can get: I navigate to the file I want to share. Right click on the file Select Give access to Choose "Specific people" In Network Access I find my own sign-on is already...
  8. Network File Sharing

Network File Sharing: I can't figure out how to set up file sharing between my laptop and desktop computers. Turning on file sharing on Control Panel doesn't do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-file-sharing/86e05328-0426-49dc-9068-bf4fc746f87f
  9. network / file sharing

network / file sharing: Hi I have desktop and 2 laptops running windows 10. Homegroup is not available. I have shared the files / folders I want to use but the laptops/PCs only show up as media devices. I have shared the files exactly as shown on your help pages. All 3 devices can link to...
  10. network file sharing

network file sharing: I apologize if this is not allowed here and will understand if it gets removed. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this. I need this for work. I don't want to have to buy a laptop with Windows just to do this. Thank you everyone. I am...