Windows 10: File Sharing "Windows cannot access"

Discus and support File Sharing "Windows cannot access" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Problem: Only some clients cannot connect to Shared folder Configuration: My clients want to map network drive to connect the folder which is on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ru1x, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Ru1x Win User

File Sharing "Windows cannot access"

Problem: Only some clients cannot connect to Shared folder

Configuration:

My clients want to map network drive to connect the folder which is on my computer.

One of my clients can connect, however, other 2 clients cannot connect by getting "Windows cannot access" error.

However, the connection is successfully established between me and clients. They are instructed to enter credentialsand then got the aforementioned error. In case the connection cannot be established, they should get an error without credential prompt

All of my clients and I are using Windows 10.

What I tried/did:

<Advanced Sharing settings>

Network Discovery: ON

File and Printer Sharing: ON

File Sharing Connections: Use 128-bit encryption

Password Protected: ON

<Folder to be Shared> Located C:\Users\Me\Desktop\ProjectX

Give Full Control permission to my clients I created each user accounts on my PC

Tick "Share this folder"

Give Share permissions also Full Control

<Network>

Port Forwarding Enabled TCP 445

What my clients did:

- Map a network drive

- Type my PC address

- Instructed to input credentials
    - Sometimes instructed again without any error

- Got Error "Windows cannot access mydomain.com\ProjectX Check the spelling of the name, Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network."

Thank you in advance.

:)

2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Apr 19, 2020
  4. File Sharing "Windows cannot access"

Home Network and shared printer access problems

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are having issue with accessing the files and printer within the network and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the error message you get, while accessing the file or the Printer using Windows 7 PC?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform all the steps in all the PC that are connected in the network as suggested by Roohi Taj on January 8th, 2019
    in this

As an additional information please refer the below articles:

File sharing over a network in Windows 10

Share files in File Explorer

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

File Sharing "Windows cannot access"

1. File Sharing "Windows cannot access" - Similar Threads - File Sharing cannot

2. file cannot be shared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file cannot be shared: One of my pc cannot share files. I tried everything but when i try to shares files i received this file cannot be share https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-cannot-be-shared/60eb8745-0ce5-4155-b6b1-de6f5dede316
  3. Cannot access network share

Cannot access network share: From my Windows 10 machine Machine 1, I cannot access folders that are shared on a Windows XP machine Machine 2. I don't think it is an OS incompatibility issue. For years, it worked. And, accessing shared folders on a second Windows XP machine Machine 3 is working, as it...
  4. cannot access a shared file/folder

cannot access a shared file/folder: I am having a problem on my new laptop computer trying to access a shared folder on my desktop computer. Both computers are on a private network along with two other laptop computers. When I start Internet Explorer on the new laptop computer and try to search the network for...
  5. Cannot access some file shares through Wifi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot access some file shares through Wifi: The problem only occur when connected through Wi-FI but when connected via Ethernet its working. The files are visible but not accessible. Any help is much appreciable submitted by /u/alsopranos [link] [comments]...
  6. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  7. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  8. Cannot Access Windows Network Shares

Cannot Access Windows Network Shares: Three machines: Surface Pro 4 - fully updated Surface Pro 3 - Windows 10, fully updated Lenovo X220T - Windows 8.1 Fully updated All three machines can see all available network devices, including each other. All three machines can successfully access and interact...
  9. Cannot access Admin shares

Cannot access Admin shares: I have two Windows 10 machines and a Windows 8.1 machine: - PCWIN10-01 - PCWIN10-02 - PCWIN8-03 I want to be able to open admin shares on PCWIN10-01 from PCWIN10-02 and I am getting access denied. Both machines have Creators update. I have searched online for the past...
  10. Cannot access Windows 10 Share

Cannot access Windows 10 Share: Hello I am having trouble networking 2 Windows 10 computers together on my network. This is kind of odd, I have a Windows 7 PC that can hit the file share with no issues. And on the troubled computer I can access the shares on the Windows 7 PC. But the Windows 10...