Windows 10: FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN?

Discus and support FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; IN WINDOWS 10, Why is it so hard to find out what files are folders are taking up too much space, without clicking on 'properties' to check? I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikewarren1, Jun 12, 2020.

1. FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN?

IN WINDOWS 10, Why is it so hard to find out what files are folders are taking up too much space, without clicking on 'properties' to check? I am familiar with DOS, since the 1980's where every file showed the size, and it was easy to see. In Win10 I have learned to right-click on the title bar above the files, to get size or space used, but it usually does now show any useful or accurate information.

As my huge hard drive is nearly filled up; I have been using it for years now; and reinstalled from Win 7, to 8, to 8.1, and now Windows 10, and reinstalled several times. Of course I'm not still using the same files all that time, but why can't I find them and get rid of them? A hard drive search for large files or old files might take hours or even days, since today's hard drives are so big! Of course I partitioned the huge drive, into a smaller sector for Windows, and two other sectors for backups and large files such as movies. This does allow my system to boot up considerably faster, without having to search a massive hard drive and catalog all files before starting up. If Windows does not already come with this feature, it is an excellent thing to do. The only problem is once the sectors or divisions are set, it is very difficult to change it the size, or the number of sections.

Well now that my hard drive is getting full, I need to find out where all this junk is taking up so much space, and start to get rid of old files. I'm sure somebody will come up with a program or app, that attempts to do some of this, but I'm so sick and tired of the scams and ads, and web pages with programs that offer "a premium version if you pay with you credit card". Geesh, can't the scams stop? I never ever pay for software, I never did since 1983, and I probably never will; I only have to look at these gaudy flashy ads on these web pages, that look like they're written by kids who want a new bike!

:)

mikewarren1, Jun 12, 2020
  2. Drone Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Jun 12, 2020
  3. Platibus Win User
    Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, Jun 12, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN?

Hard Drive Space Missing

Hi,

It is possible that hard drive space was missing due to a corrupted file system. To better assist you, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried deleting temporary files?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far aside from checked the hidden files?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN?

1. FILE SIZE AND HARD DRIVE SPACE, NOT SHOWN? - Similar Threads - FILE SIZE HARD

2. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  3. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  4. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive space: My C: Drive is Highlighted,+but full,and i cannot add anything to it.... I have an E: Drive that shows over 931 GB of space,but it is Grey-Not highlighted...seems to be dormant....How do i activate it/add to it ? Thanks John R....
  6. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive space: I have 16 GB of unused hard drive space, yet I get an error indicating that I don't have enough harddrive space to download the upgrade. How much space is required? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-space/37e9202e-eb44-4989-bc99-1b0e6172dcee
  7. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive space: My computer has a 950 gig hard drive. Somehow there is about 860 gig of temporary file useage and I can not see where the space is used at even after using the temporary file clean up function....
  8. Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size: I have read a lot about storage spaces and I do use it since it has been available to bundle my hard drives. Now I want to reduce the amount of drives, but I'm not sure whether I need to do it all at once creating a new pool with a new drive and moive the files or if I could...
  9. no space on hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no space on hard drive: hello, I have not much space left on hard drive but I don't know what is taking so much space please advice ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-space-on-hard-drive/5d048c6b-e63d-4b69-a5f0-a24668607148
  10. File explorer shown two external hard drive

File explorer shown two external hard drive: Hi, i hope someone could help me in my problem, so i been encountering this issue for a long time and i dont know how to solve it i already reset my laptop because i thought that was the solution but its not, i dont even know how this happend whenever i plugged in a usd or an...