Windows 10: File size larger than physical drive storage

Discus and support File size larger than physical drive storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can some one please explain this to me. I need to access the photos but windows keeps telling me i don't have enough space. I only have 80Gb drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Baking2020, Jan 19, 2020.

1. File size larger than physical drive storage

Can some one please explain this to me. I need to access the photos but windows keeps telling me i don't have enough space.

I only have 80Gb drive but the photo folder i am trying to open is showing 8Tb. Can anyone help me fix this without losing the photos. Each individual photo is showing a file size of 9Gb

File size larger than physical drive storage 340e5215-d2b5-48e5-b40e-896b6234a4f9?upload=true.png

:)

Baking2020, Jan 19, 2020
  2. Bundy Win User

Larger cluster size?

I have read scattered over the interwebz that setting a larger cluster size than the default NTFS 4096bytes can result in improved performance at the expense of storage efficiency. I have plenty of space on the main OS drive so am able to use a larger size but was wondering, has anyone else tried this?

For reference, my system

RAID 0, 2 x 320Gb
    Stripe 128k
    cluster 4k
    average file size 1190k (this looks skewed due to some very large files, the mode will be less)

Bundy, Jan 19, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Larger cluster size?

those studies include the OS, which if you'll notice i stated should be on a separate partition.

if you use seperate partitions and drives, your OS drive should be 4K, your games drive should be somewhere in the middle (8/16K) and any and all storage drives should be 64K.

Mussels, Jan 19, 2020
  4. Batou1986 Win User

File size larger than physical drive storage

Larger cluster size?

To my knowledge larger clusters means more wasted space on your drive, a 8k file will take up a whole 32k cluster resulting in the drive having to seek more to load things that are less then 32k and result in more fragmentation.
    The performance difference is close to nothing, the stripe size is what id be more concerned with optimizing.

Batou1986, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

File size larger than physical drive storage

1. File size larger than physical drive storage - Similar Threads - File size larger

2. Storage Spaces: "Check physical drives" not fixable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces: "Check physical drives" not fixable: Hello, I set up my storage space for 3x4TB HDDs. After a reboot I get this message without any further advice. I can't click on anything so there is no hint on what is wrong. In CrystalDiskInfo all drives are fine. I guess one briefly disconnected USB and now the error...
  3. Adding physical disks to a storage pool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding physical disks to a storage pool: I have a storage pool of 4 physical 8tb disks. I added 2 more physical 8tb disks to the pool, but there doesn't seem to be a size increase. What I'm reading is that storage pools can't be added to once created, but that doesn't sound right. So, how do I get the added disks to...
  4. Files sizes for photos and videos showing as much larger than actual. Can't open/transfer.

Files sizes for photos and videos showing as much larger than actual. Can't open/transfer.: A couple of months ago I transferred some photos and videos from my phone to my desktop computer. All was well at the time - fast forward to today, I attempted to open some of the photos in the folder, and all I get is a blank screen - something 'trying' to open. I did...
  5. Reserved Storage took more storage than System Files

Reserved Storage took more storage than System Files: So I've finished installing Windows 10 version 1903, To see that I only have 5 GB left on my SSD. (It's a 32 GB SSD.) So I've figured it was only Windows Update files. So I ran Disk Cleanup. After I ran Disk Cleanup, I only have 9 GB. Now I wanted to see what was going on. I...
  6. The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system

in Windows 10 News
    The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft keeps a limit of 258 characters for the name of a ‘file or sub-folder path.’ If this limit is exceeded, you might not be delete, move, or rename the sub-folder/file. In such a situation, attempting to copy-paste or delete [...] This post The source...
  7. After October 2018 update the screen size is larger than my display.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After October 2018 update the screen size is larger than my display.: I updated to the October 2018 tonight when it popped up on my screen. After the update, which took forever, my icons in the left most column are not visible or accessible, nor is the start button. The task bar is below the bottom margin of my display. When I open MS Edge the...
  8. File sizes not showing in settings storage.

File sizes not showing in settings storage.: I am going through my storage to see whats taking up all the room so I can delete some stuff and I keep coming across games that don't have a size next to them. Most of these are from games on Steam and they used to show how much space they took up. Is this a serious issue or...
  9. picture larger than screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    picture larger than screen: picture is larger than screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/picture-larger-than-screen/7369f263-396f-4c03-8d1f-4a1b0b2c6f13
  10. Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Rename Physical Drive in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. When you add drives to a storage pool, the hardware...