Windows 10: File size larger than physical drive storage

Discus and support File size larger than physical drive storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can some one please explain this to me. I need to access the photos but windows keeps telling me i don't have enough space. I only have 80Gb drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Baking2020, Jan 19, 2020.

1. File size larger than physical drive storage

Can some one please explain this to me. I need to access the photos but windows keeps telling me i don't have enough space.

I only have 80Gb drive but the photo folder i am trying to open is showing 8Tb. Can anyone help me fix this without losing the photos. Each individual photo is showing a file size of 9Gb

File size larger than physical drive storage 340e5215-d2b5-48e5-b40e-896b6234a4f9?upload=true.png

:)

Baking2020, Jan 19, 2020
  2. Bundy Win User

Larger cluster size?

I have read scattered over the interwebz that setting a larger cluster size than the default NTFS 4096bytes can result in improved performance at the expense of storage efficiency. I have plenty of space on the main OS drive so am able to use a larger size but was wondering, has anyone else tried this?

For reference, my system

RAID 0, 2 x 320Gb
    Stripe 128k
    cluster 4k
    average file size 1190k (this looks skewed due to some very large files, the mode will be less)

Bundy, Jan 19, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Larger cluster size?

those studies include the OS, which if you'll notice i stated should be on a separate partition.

if you use seperate partitions and drives, your OS drive should be 4K, your games drive should be somewhere in the middle (8/16K) and any and all storage drives should be 64K.

Mussels, Jan 19, 2020
  4. Batou1986 Win User

File size larger than physical drive storage

Larger cluster size?

To my knowledge larger clusters means more wasted space on your drive, a 8k file will take up a whole 32k cluster resulting in the drive having to seek more to load things that are less then 32k and result in more fragmentation.
    The performance difference is close to nothing, the stripe size is what id be more concerned with optimizing.

Batou1986, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

File size larger than physical drive storage

1. File size larger than physical drive storage - Similar Threads - File size larger

2. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  3. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  4. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. size on disk is ridiculous and many times larger than my hard drive

size on disk is ridiculous and many times larger than my hard drive: I agree that it's useful to know how much actual disk space small files take up in assigned clusters but when 27GB of files show up as taking up 55.3 TB of space on my 1TB hard drive there's something ridiculously wrong. Why is this so outlandishly incorrect?...
  6. size on disk is ridiculous and many times larger than my hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    size on disk is ridiculous and many times larger than my hard drive: I agree that it's useful to know how much actual disk space small files take up in assigned clusters but when 27GB of files show up as taking up 55.3 TB of space on my 1TB hard drive there's something ridiculously wrong. Why is this so outlandishly incorrect?...
  7. size on disk is ridiculous and many times larger than my hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Is there a way to show more detailed size info for drives larger than 1 TB in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to show more detailed size info for drives larger than 1 TB in file explorer?: Example: https://i.imgur.com/XSOZD6A.png I'd like it to say 1145 GB or whatever it is. The cutoff after 2 digits after the decimal is annoying. submitted by /u/RayzTheRoof [link] [comments]...
  9. Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Why is drive image larger than C;/ drive ?: Thought I'd make a couple different images on my recently built & never used PC. The C: drive is an SSD and the only thing on it is the Windows 10 OS (vers 1909). For starters I made an image using the Windows 10 image function and used a USB HDD. Properties show the C:\...
  10. Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?

Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?: My folders of photos are showing properties of a much larger size than is physically possible on my laptop, this is not showing up as an issue on the laptop, but I can't back them up effectively as have already used up a 2TB drive for a small portion of them ! I've seen some...