Windows 10: File sizes and disk space don't add up

Discus and support File sizes and disk space don't add up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 1TB disk "TheFdrive". Properties report it as 929GB capacity, 855GB used, 73.2GB free.But individually the various folders add up to less than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Steve Maskery, Aug 9, 2021.

1. File sizes and disk space don't add up

I have a 1TB disk "TheFdrive". Properties report it as 929GB capacity, 855GB used, 73.2GB free.But individually the various folders add up to less than half that.I've emptied the recycling bin, done disk cleanup, including system files, it says it doesn't need defragging. I am at a loss to know what's going on.Can anyone give me any pointers please? Many thanks.

:)

Steve Maskery, Aug 9, 2021
  2. kaxelina Win User

Why don´t I get Spaces on my N82

My husband and I bouth same mobile with one week apart. He got spaces in Share online but I don´t. We have updated the latest software.

Even the program is updated sevrel times but still I don´t have Spaces on my mobile. I even resert the phone but no luck.

What is the problem?

kaxelina, Aug 9, 2021
  3. lx07 Win User
    Disk Space Vanishes by Uninstalling files improperly

I was thinking that but the situation seems to be reversed - WinDirStat is showing less space used (76.2) than Disk Properties (88.1GB). Normally it is the other way around - there are orphaned restore points that can't be deleted (or seen in Windows) but can be seen in products like WinDirStat.

I think it may just be the way the used space is calculated and reported. If you press F6 in WinDirStat it will show the Free Space.

For me TreeSize Free, WinDirStat and Disk Properties agree about free space (13GB in my case). What they disagree about is used space (TreeSize is 87.8GB, WinDirStat 85.9GB (99-13.1) and Disk Properties 93.3GB). I believe that Disk Properties is higher as it doesn't take account (some types of) of compressed files.

File sizes and disk space don't add up [​IMG]

They can't even agree on the size of the disk - TreeSize and Disk Properties show 106GB (correct according to diskpart) while WinDirStat thinks it is 99GB for some unknown reason (seemingly adding up allocated sizes and then adding free space) . Code:
    I'd suggest trying TreeSize anyway but there is nothing to suggest you have lost 14GB unless you can see it as a file or in as a directory somewhere. More likely you are just seeing reporting differences.

lx07, Aug 9, 2021
  4. newtekie1 Win User

File sizes and disk space don't add up

help missing disk space

Downloads work fine here. The direct link to the download is this: http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/TreeSizeFree.zip

No you can't just delete the Hiberfile and Page File. Windows will just recreate them, and actually probably won't let you delete them. You have to disable Hibernation and move your page file to another drive(or just make it very small).

To disable hibernation:
    • Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press Enter.
    • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.
    Once you disable hibernation it will delete the hiberfile.sys file for you.

To change the size of the page file:

• Open System in Control Panel.
    • On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
    • On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
    • Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
    • Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
    I prefer to set the Initial and Maximum size to the same size. I usually just set it to 2048MB. It will take 2GB of space. 2GB of space used shouldn't make a difference.

newtekie1, Aug 9, 2021
Thema:

File sizes and disk space don't add up

1. File sizes and disk space don't add up - Similar Threads - File sizes disk

2. Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC': My system drive C drive filled up completely and I have no idea how. I tried to check for files that might be eating up space in my C drive but even after adding up the sizes of all the files in the drive, it doesn't add up to the amount that is shown by in 'This PC' window....
  3. Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC': My system drive C drive filled up completely and I have no idea how. I tried to check for files that might be eating up space in my C drive but even after adding up the sizes of all the files in the drive, it doesn't add up to the amount that is shown by in 'This PC' window....
  4. Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. add 'size on disk' to sorting options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    add 'size on disk' to sorting options: Hi, I recently had to format my windows drive because I ran into several issues.I had some unfinished downloads that I want to recuperate.The problem is now all files in my 'downloads' folder have the same 'create in'/'modified in' dates so its hard to figure out the ones...
  6. add 'size on disk' to sorting options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    add 'size on disk' to sorting options: Hi, I recently had to format my windows drive because I ran into several issues.I had some unfinished downloads that I want to recuperate.The problem is now all files in my 'downloads' folder have the same 'create in'/'modified in' dates so its hard to figure out the ones...
  7. Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC'

Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC': Hi,There is a post about this issue already from 2017, but I cannot see any response to resolve it. Here is the link to that post; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-all-files-dont-add-up-to-total-space-used/fd002e32-0ba5-499b-9933-8365d55e2534 I...
  8. Size of folders isn't the same as size taken up in disk space.

Size of folders isn't the same as size taken up in disk space.: I just got a new laptop a few weeks ago, and most of the storage is already taken up. Also, the size of the folders isn't even close to the amount of space shown in the drive. I only have 5GB left and in some cases have to use other devices to complete my work. If anyone has...
  9. Partition size and total disk space don't match

Partition size and total disk space don't match: Even though the partition size for Disk 0 is 953.87 GB, the total capacity shows up as 793 GB in the list of properties. There isn't any unallocated space, and Drive E Disk 1's second partition has a capacity equal to the partition's size. How would I make the shown capacity...
  10. Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up

Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up: I'm trying to free up my hard disk for Windows updates but the numbers don't add up. In folder options I chose both "Show hidden files, folders, and drivers" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system files". I tried Disk Cleanup and scanned with Windows Defenders but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. size of files does not add up