Windows 10: File sorting

Discus and support File sorting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Suddenly my files are now being sorted according to sections A to I, H to P and Q to Z. How do I reset to sorting from A to Z only.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Don and Trish White, Aug 5, 2021.

1. File sorting

Suddenly my files are now being sorted according to sections A to I, H to P and Q to Z. How do I reset to sorting from A to Z only.

:)

Don and Trish White, Aug 5, 2021

2. sorting jpg files

Hi

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you let us know, are you trying to sort in files in Explorer or Photos app?

If you are sorting in explorer, follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open the folder in which files are stored.
    2. Right click on empty space of window.
    3. Select Sort by and click on
      Type

If you are trying to sort in Photos app by extension, we would suggest you to provide your feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app
    as there is no option available to sort by extension in the app. However you can sort by Modified, Newest, Oldest, and Alphabetical.

If you want to look only for the files with .jpg extension in photos app, you may type
    *.jpg in the search bar.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Aug 5, 2021
  3. cereberus Win User
    Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Aug 5, 2021
  4. File sorting

sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

File sorting ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Aug 5, 2021
Thema:

File sorting

1. File sorting - Similar Threads - File sorting

2. Sorting deselects previously selected files, unfortunately

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting deselects previously selected files, unfortunately: Once upon a time in File Explorer, I could sort a folder by file type e.g., *.HEIC, quickly select all files of that type, then resort the folder by name or date, and the selected files would remain selected in the new sort order. This enabled me to delete superfluous,...
  3. Sorting deselects previously selected files, unfortunately

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sorting deselects previously selected files, unfortunately: Once upon a time in File Explorer, I could sort a folder by file type e.g., *.HEIC, quickly select all files of that type, then resort the folder by name or date, and the selected files would remain selected in the new sort order. This enabled me to delete superfluous,...
  4. How to change sort bar highlight colour in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change sort bar highlight colour in file explorer?: I don't know how or why, but when I go into File Explorer the bar at the top where you can click to sort by name, status, date, etc has become highlighted white and the text behind it is unreadable, plus it's annoying to look at. I use dark mode, but it seems like that part...
  5. How to change sort bar highlight colour in file explorer?

How to change sort bar highlight colour in file explorer?: I don't know how or why, but when I go into File Explorer the bar at the top where you can click to sort by name, status, date, etc has become highlighted white and the text behind it is unreadable, plus it's annoying to look at. I use dark mode, but it seems like that part...
  6. File sorting stuck in Windows 12

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File sorting stuck in Windows 12: While looking for a file that I know I downloaded on a certain date, I filtered my Downloads folder in File Explorer. Found the file, wonderful, closed File Explorer. It's been a few days, and now I'm noticing that my Quick Access in File Explorer is still trying to sort by...
  7. File sorting stuck in Windows 12

File sorting stuck in Windows 12: While looking for a file that I know I downloaded on a certain date, I filtered my Downloads folder in File Explorer. Found the file, wonderful, closed File Explorer. It's been a few days, and now I'm noticing that my Quick Access in File Explorer is still trying to sort by...
  8. How to sort by DATE LAST SAVED in Windows 11 File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to sort by DATE LAST SAVED in Windows 11 File Explorer?: I recently upgraded to Windows 11 Pro not by choice ... but it seems to be doing ok ... I have worked out most of the kinks but at present I am having trouble with FILE EXPLORER ... In previous versions I sorted files by DATE LAST SAVED ... it seems in Windows 11 this is no...
  9. How to sort by DATE LAST SAVED in Windows 11 File Explorer?

How to sort by DATE LAST SAVED in Windows 11 File Explorer?: I recently upgraded to Windows 11 Pro not by choice ... but it seems to be doing ok ... I have worked out most of the kinks but at present I am having trouble with FILE EXPLORER ... In previous versions I sorted files by DATE LAST SAVED ... it seems in Windows 11 this is no...
  10. Sort order of files based on name is wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort order of files based on name is wrong: Hi all,i sorted a list of files by NAME -> ASCENDINGbut i have noticed that the list is sorted incorrectly and not fully in name order, it is almost in name order. I have highlighted with a red line anything that is not in the correct sort order.I saw someone in the windows...