Windows 10: File space

Discus and support File space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I am a complete novice. I have a very basic HP laptop with 30G of space on the CDdrive and that has been pretty much used up so I can't do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sainttim1976, Mar 10, 2017.

1. File space

Hi,

I am a complete novice. I have a very basic HP laptop with 30G of space on the CDdrive and that has been pretty much used up so I can't do anything.

I have noticed on the CDrive windows folder that it is using 20G of space.

the computer is trying to install a windows update and there is not enough free space!

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Tim

:)

sainttim1976, Mar 10, 2017

2. File space usage

The adobe reader data means the pdf file that are save on that app itself when you open this file on that app. Try clearstorage(English) app to free the space.

MCCshreyas, Mar 10, 2017
  3. File space usage

First of all why is it that adobe reader has an app size of about 18mb but has a data size of 188mb? How can I delete the data?

secondly why is there a category called other in the storage sense app but it doesn't say what the other files are and Microsoft has made it that you can't see anything that's on the phone except your own files so you can't even show hidden files to find
    it? I'd like to reduce space used but can't because I don't know what it is I have to find or get rid of.

please help

Thanks

michaeljcunningham, Mar 10, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

File space

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I am not sure what you mean by the CDdrive. Perhaps you mean C: drive?

With a drive that small you need to keep installed programs to a minimum. Did it come with pre-installed programs which you don't use? In which case you can remove those.

If you go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features you will be able to see exactly what programs you have installed. If you find any you want to remove then click on it and an option to uninstall it should appear above the list.

Another thing you can do is run cleanmgr. In the search box on the taskbar, type cleanmgr. You will need to run it twice. The first time you run it, click on the Clean up system files button. You can pretty much tick everything as they're all safe to remove. After the clean, run the program again and this time don't press that button but this time select from the list what you want to remove.

One program you can install is SpaceSniffer which is a visual representation of your drive so you can see where the largest files are. Be careful though and just don't go deleting things if you don't fully understand what they are.

swarfega, Mar 10, 2017
Thema:

File space

1. File space - Similar Threads - File space

2. OneDrive app cannot sync new files even though there are plenty of free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive app cannot sync new files even though there are plenty of free space: Hi there,I am trying to sync a file about 10MB to my OneDrive but it's not working.The OneDrive app shows "Couldn't upload file" with "You don't have enough space for this file." even though it says "15.3GB used of 125 GB".If i click Sync issues above, the following message...
  3. OneDrive app cannot sync new files even though there are plenty of free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive app cannot sync new files even though there are plenty of free space: Hi there,I am trying to sync a file about 10MB to my OneDrive but it's not working.The OneDrive app shows "Couldn't upload file" with "You don't have enough space for this file." even though it says "15.3GB used of 125 GB".If i click Sync issues above, the following message...
  4. Windows 11 "There is not enough free space on ___" when trying to move files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "There is not enough free space on ___" when trying to move files: Yesterday I started having issues moving files on my E: drive. I was moving and organizing files when I started getting the "There is not enough free space on _____." Sometimes the folder name would be the receiving folder and sometimes it would be the original...
  5. Windows 11 "There is not enough free space on ___" when trying to move files

Windows 11 "There is not enough free space on ___" when trying to move files: Yesterday I started having issues moving files on my E: drive. I was moving and organizing files when I started getting the "There is not enough free space on _____." Sometimes the folder name would be the receiving folder and sometimes it would be the original...
  6. How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...: I'm attempting to create an ISO file to install windows on a new PC build and I'm using the Windows media creator. After selecting ISO not USB and selecting the drive I have with nearly 300GB of free space that I double checked was actually cleaned disk space it keeps saying...
  7. How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...: I'm attempting to create an ISO file to install windows on a new PC build and I'm using the Windows media creator. After selecting ISO not USB and selecting the drive I have with nearly 300GB of free space that I double checked was actually cleaned disk space it keeps saying...
  8. How do I create an ISO file when it says I don't have enough space in my 296GB free space...

9. Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive: I am using Windows 10 and I am cleaning my C drive. While cleaning, I noticed that the difference between the space used in Drive C and the total file size in Drive C is way too big, around 30 GB.The difference still exists although I have: Unhidden filesCleaned up system...
  10. Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive

Difference in the total size of files in C: and used space n C: drive: I am using Windows 10 and I am cleaning my C drive. While cleaning, I noticed that the difference between the space used in Drive C and the total file size in Drive C is way too big, around 30 GB.The difference still exists although I have: Unhidden filesCleaned up system...