Windows 10: File structure problems after removing OneDrive

Discus and support File structure problems after removing OneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_drive-mso_win10-mso_365hp/onedrive-deletion-problems/910e7df0-9ae0-4dd2-9214-e4a64f9f3e61?me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FrazerGould1, Nov 17, 2020.

1. File structure problems after removing OneDrive

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...essageId=2655a964-a9e4-41e6-8bbf-a8bf1e547838

I have been asking for help in the Office 365 area of the forums while some of my issues were resolved there is one major problem still outstanding.

It has been suggested that this user group may be more appropriate.

The above link will take you to the thread on the Office 365 forum pages where my problem is explained. Apologies if this is not the correct procedure and or this post is too long but I do need help! In removing the OneDrive software I believed I had followed the correct process, unlinking etc but it seems there may have been other things I failed to do which I was not warned about.

In essence the removal of the OneDrive software seems to have resulted in the default path to saving documents being no longer the default "C:/users/user name/ documents". Instead it is now "C:/user/user name/ documents/documents" where the fist "documents" in the path is actually OneDrive which has been renamed by me!

New files, deletions, and edits to documents are now saved in the second "documents". in the path.

I want to restore the path structure to the normal default so any help will be appreciated.

:)

FrazerGould1, Nov 17, 2020

2. folder structure of /users/... and relation to OneDrive

Some new installations of Windows 10 do not have folder in the /users/%username%/ folder or have only 1 or a few of the standard structure of 'backups, desktop, documents, downloads, pictures, music, video'. but the OneDrive folder structure is complete
    for more so. The OneDrive/documents is populated with files, but the c:/users/documents/ has no files, The 'Quick Access' list is compete and properly populated. Shall I generate the file structure in the /users/%username%/ folder? Any good articles?

Thanks. Howard

HowardSartori, Nov 17, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Add or Remove OneDrive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10  

I see you already checked the Reg keys, but try the steps again in the tutorial.....first removing (set to 0) all, signing off and back on. Set to 1, all, and sign off and back on.

f14tomcat, Nov 17, 2020
  4. File structure problems after removing OneDrive

Why were SMART Files Removed from OneDrive in Windows 10?

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

This article details why SMART files, also known as placeholder files, were removed from OneDrive in Windows 10.

Details

OneDrive has gone through many changes in Windows 10, most notably the removal of SMART files (placeholder files) from OneDrive. They still exist in Windows 8.1, however they were removed, hopefully temporarily, from OneDrive in Windows 10 because of the
    fragmented sync engines between OneDrive on Windows 7/Mac, OneDrive on Windows 8.1, and OneDrive for Business. The following article details what changes the OneDrive team made and why they made them:

Taking the Next Step in
    OneDrive

From a development point of view, it's a much better approach to consolidate their codebase, but from a user point of view, it's very frustrating.

Like many of us, if you want that feature back, please vote for it here on the OneDrive UserVoice page:

OneDrive UserVoice: "Sync online only" for Ondrive

Getting Started with OneDrive and Choosing Folders

To get started with OneDrive in Windows 10, please review these pages to familiarize yourself with the tools new processes:

Since you cannot choose which files are Available Online-only and Available Offline, you can choose the folders you want to sync. Review these two pages:

stanimal21, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

File structure problems after removing OneDrive

1. File structure problems after removing OneDrive - Similar Threads - File structure problems

2. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive file structure confusion: Hello,I reset my computer and I deleted all the files from OneDrive folder and uninstalled oneDrive from Control Panel. Now the problem is I do not have Desktop and other folders. So from my understanding, My PC was using OneDrive's 'Desktop' folder. But I do not want to use...
  3. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive file structure confusion: Hello,I reset my computer and I deleted all the files from OneDrive folder and uninstalled oneDrive from Control Panel. Now the problem is I do not have Desktop and other folders. So from my understanding, My PC was using OneDrive's 'Desktop' folder. But I do not want to use...
  4. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. OneDrive data file structure from MACPRO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive data file structure from MACPRO: Will OneDrive retain data file structure from MACPRO pics,xls,doc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-data-file-structure-from-macpro/a997351f-3028-4637-995d-100bd2bcc692
  6. OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Has Taken Over The File Structure!: My son just got a new Win10 machine and got himself set up on it. Today, I went to help him with a software install and I saw that OneDrive has sort of taken over things! Folders on the desktop have little cloud icons (or x's, or updating icons), some folders can't be deleted...
  7. Remove OneDrive from File Explorer and clean up Path structure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove OneDrive from File Explorer and clean up Path structure: Hello, I have to admit, that I kind of begrudgingly switched back from Linux Mint to Microsoft because for I need a program for two classes that does not work on Linux. I backed up my Documents and Pictures on an external hard drive, wiped Linux and reinstalled Windows 10...
  8. After Removing Onedrive Many Files Remain.

in Windows 10 Support
    After Removing Onedrive Many Files Remain.: I recently removed Onedrive from 3 of my W10 1909 machines and found many, many files associated with Onedrive on each of them. Search Everything reveals the following examples: C:windows//Winsxs\amd64-microsoft windows-s..ivebackup._ .... plus many more in Winsxs Setting...
  9. Problem with user profile file structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with user profile file structure: In trying to move one of my libraries (Pictures), I have caused a major problem with my user folders. When I moved the Pictures library (using the Move command on the Location tab of the folder's Properties), instead of finding it within the intended target folder, it seemed...
  10. Problem with user profile file structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with user profile file structure: In trying to move one of my libraries (Pictures), I have caused a major problem with my user folders. When I moved the Pictures library (using the Move command on the Location tab of the folder's Properties), instead of finding it within the intended target folder, it seemed...