Windows 10: File system always gets dirty bit on at startup after migrating from one SSD to other

Discus and support File system always gets dirty bit on at startup after migrating from one SSD to other in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi,I upgraded my system SSD from a 128Gb to a 500gb needed the space. It went pretty well, but since that I have the problems at boot time. The system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dénes Sebestyén, Jul 18, 2021.

1. File system always gets dirty bit on at startup after migrating from one SSD to other

Hi,I upgraded my system SSD from a 128Gb to a 500gb needed the space. It went pretty well, but since that I have the problems at boot time. The system always wants to check the file system. If I let it, it finishes, then reboots and starts the self diagnosis and repair procedure. After that finishes everything starts from the beginning. It checks the FS, and so. The only way to start up the laptop HP Pavilion is to skip disk checking every time.I tried to start in safe mode, didn't go well.I tried to start just the command line, there with the Fsutil dirty query E: command I got that it's

:)

Dénes Sebestyén, Jul 18, 2021

2. Dirty Bit Not Resetting

Hi,

I have recently noticed that every time I boot my PC it runs CHKDSK during startup. I did some research into this and I believe the cause for this is because the dirty bit is set. I checked the dirty bit status with fsutil dirty query for both my drives
    (C and D) and both came up as being dirty.

Iv'e run chkdsk /f on both drives but the dirty bit won't go away.

My C Drive is A Relatively New SSD

My D Drive is A HDD

I'm worried that there is something wrong with my drives.

Other Weird Things:

When I try to open 'Defragment and Optimise Drives' it doesn't open.

When I Go Into Properties of the Disk and in Tools I Select Check for Errors, it finds errors on both drives, but when I restart to fix it it just does it's chkdsk thing again.

PC Information:

Intel i5-9400F

Gigabyte H310M H 2.0

Gigabyte RX 570

Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD (Boot)

WD Blue 1TB HDD (Storage)

Cooler Master MWE550 v2 PSU

PUFFBALL101961, Jul 18, 2021
  3. Dirty Bit Not Resetting

After following the steps fsutil still reports that D: is dirty.

PUFFBALL101961, Jul 18, 2021
  4. File system always gets dirty bit on at startup after migrating from one SSD to other

AMD Athlon x2 4200+ based system migrating from w10 32bit to 64bit stuck at windows logo screen...

Possible reason why it’s getting stuck at blue logo screen is because the installation disc that you are using is damaged or corrupted.

Migrating to Windows 10 64 bit from 32 bit operating system requires installation, that means all files, data and applications will be deleted, we suggest to create a backup before the installation.

For the meantime, we recommend to create another installation media using Media Creation Tool and check if issue still persists.

Follow the steps listed on the article below on how to Migrate from Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit .

Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

JericDale Ort, Jul 18, 2021
Thema:

File system always gets dirty bit on at startup after migrating from one SSD to other

1. File system always gets dirty bit on at startup after migrating from one SSD to other - Similar Threads - File system always

2. Windows C: is always dirty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows C: is always dirty: Hi,My computer is accting weird lately. When its starts it does a disk check and supposedly fixes it but if i run the "fsutil dirty query C:" it still says its dirty. I have tried everything: Advanced startup to execute the Chkdsk /f /r C:, anti virus software , disk defrag,...
  3. Windows C: is always dirty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows C: is always dirty: Hi,My computer is accting weird lately. When its starts it does a disk check and supposedly fixes it but if i run the "fsutil dirty query C:" it still says its dirty. I have tried everything: Advanced startup to execute the Chkdsk /f /r C:, anti virus software , disk defrag,...
  4. Dirty bit not resetting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dirty bit not resetting: I tried numerous methods to fix the issue. It happened after the second-latest update which my windows 10 had. I ran the fsutil it told me my C: is dirty but when I ran chkdsk with no parameters, It told me I had zero bad sectors and I dont need to do anything. What do I do...
  5. Migrating files from one OS SSD to New Nvme

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating files from one OS SSD to New Nvme: Got a Samsung Evo 970 and I want to move the files and programs from my Samsung 860 to that as that’ll be where I want the OS to be on now. How do I go about this? Is there no way and I would just need to reinstall everything on the new OS and move documents and stuff using...
  6. Dirty Bit Not Resetting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dirty Bit Not Resetting: Hi, I have recently noticed that every time I boot my PC it runs CHKDSK during startup. I did some research into this and I believe the cause for this is because the dirty bit is set. I checked the dirty bit status with fsutil dirty query for both my drives C and D and both...
  7. Is a dirty bit on a ssd considered dangerous or it won't affect it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is a dirty bit on a ssd considered dangerous or it won't affect it?: I have a ssd and yesterday it got a dirty bit but I'm curious if it's dangerous and it will harm it or no submitted by /u/Zeyadtarek952 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i1a3af/is_a_dirty_bit_on_a_ssd_considered_dangerous_or/
  8. Migrating from Hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating from Hdd to ssd: Migrating from Hdd to ssd Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ????i need secure and easy software...
  9. Migration from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migration from hdd to ssd: Windows 10 is currently on a 1.5 Tb hdd that is almost full. I want to purchase an ssd to use as the boot/system drive. I do not want to shell out for a large sdd. I do not want to do a fresh install of windows unless I can save all of my settings and not have to reinstall...
  10. Migration to SSD/HDD system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migration to SSD/HDD system: Hi, I have a cloned copy of my existing HDD and am considering buying (or personaly upgrading to) a new system with a SSD and HDD. Obviously the current Windows installation is on a HDD, so is it possiblethat I could I restore the cloned Windows system to a SSD and the...