Windows 10: File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

Discus and support File system decryption - cannot decrypt file in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by michael_sh, Mar 21, 2023.

1. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see ' Certificate thumbprint:' exactly same as in certmgr - Personal - Certificates - mycertificateimported - Details - ThumbprintButNo recovery certificate found.Key information cannot be retrieved.The specified file could not be decrypted.Could anybody help me?

:)

michael_sh, Mar 21, 2023

2. How to Decrypt *.cerber3 files?

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber Ransomware will be renamed with 10 random characters plus the
    .cerber (i.e. 2C1OlcaXdF.cerber, Ku7dYlcvkj.cerber) or .cerber2 extension (see

here
    ) appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs, DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, DECRYPT MY FILES#.html.

The newest variant of Cerber Ransomware will have a .cerber3 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named # HELP DECRYPT #.txt, # HELP DECRYPT #.html, and # HELP DECRYPT
    #.url.

Trend Micro released a
    Ransomware File Decryptor
    for victims of earlier Cerber infections but it has limitations...must be used on the infected machine, may take several hours to complete decryption, some files may be only partially decrypted.
    However, victims of Cerber Ransomware have reported the decryption tool does not work on cerber3 encrypted files.

In cases where a decryption tool does not work and you do not plan on paying the ransom, the only other alternative is to
    backup/save your data as is and wait for a possible breakthrough...meaning, what seems like an impossibility at the moment (decryption of your data), there is always hope someday there may be a potential solution so save the encrypted data
    and wait until that time. Imaging the drive backs up everything related to the infection including encrypted files, ransom notes and registry entries containing possible information which may be needed if a solution is ever discovered.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 21, 2023
  3. Jsssssssss, Mar 21, 2023
  4. VIVALDINO Win User

File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

DECRYPT

NEED STEPS TO DECRYPT FILE

VIVALDINO, Mar 21, 2023
Thema:

File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

1. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file - Similar Threads - File system decryption

2. Decrypting file is impossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decrypting file is impossible: I have a couple of files that are encrypted by doing right click -> Properties -> Advanced... -> Encrypt contents to secure data. But I can't decrypt them anymore. Everytime I diable that checkbox and apply my changes I get this:When going into "Details" next to the checkbox...
  3. Decrypting file is impossible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decrypting file is impossible: I have a couple of files that are encrypted by doing right click -> Properties -> Advanced... -> Encrypt contents to secure data. But I can't decrypt them anymore. Everytime I diable that checkbox and apply my changes I get this:When going into "Details" next to the checkbox...
  4. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  5. File system decryption - cannot decrypt file

File system decryption - cannot decrypt file: I have Windows 10 reinstalled with disk format.I have exported certificate to .PFX file from old system and imported into new system.In new system user has same name as in old system.I cannot decrypt files from old system.When I runcipher /c mypath\ds.txt I can see '...
  6. Cannot Decrypt Files Error: 0x80071771

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Decrypt Files Error: 0x80071771: Here's the story.I'm running Windows 11, I encrypted my files using EFS, all of my encrypted files are in E: drive, now I reformatted my pc to have a new reinstallation of Windows 11, after booting of the freshly installed Windows 11, I transferred my encrypted files to my...
  7. Cannot Decrypt Files Error: 0x80071771

Cannot Decrypt Files Error: 0x80071771: Here's the story.I'm running Windows 11, I encrypted my files using EFS, all of my encrypted files are in E: drive, now I reformatted my pc to have a new reinstallation of Windows 11, after booting of the freshly installed Windows 11, I transferred my encrypted files to my...
  8. Can't decrypt files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't decrypt files: I have a folder and files in :C and my :G drives that are encrypted with the general tab and as of yesterday I can no longer view my files as it says an error occurred applying attributes to the file the specified file could not be decrypted I never had a problem with this...
  9. Decrypt .Nusar files ?

Decrypt .Nusar files ?: Hello, I have got infected by Nusar virus, and all my files are crypted now, I removed the virus by Kaspersky, but I couldn't decrypt the files, please help me ! 136298
  10. Cannot decrypt files

Cannot decrypt files: I had encrypted some pictures on windows 8 pro and then transferred it to hard disk without decrypting them. Now problem is that I have updated to windows 10 pro and I can no longer decrypt the images. It says access denied. What do I do now and how can i get back my...