Windows 10: File system index corruption after Win10 1903 update

Discus and support File system index corruption after Win10 1903 update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home, running smoothly for more than 1 year. However, the system became extremely slow (HDD keep reading) when I was moving a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Iluvatar0, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Iluvatar0 Win User

File system index corruption after Win10 1903 update

I have Windows 10 Home, running smoothly for more than 1 year. However, the system became extremely slow (HDD keep reading) when I was moving a shortcut on Desktop - just re-locate. After reboot (took 15mins each) twice (by coincidence, KB4503293 and KB4503308 installed and rebooted again), there were several critical error in system event log: (English translation was at the end of line if necessary)

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Ntfs" Guid="{dd70bc80-ef44-421b-8ac3-cd31da613a4e}" />
    <EventID>55</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-06-14T09:21:52.454358100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1075</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="408" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-MKCV2NJ</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="DriveName">??</Data>
    <Data Name="DeviceName">\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1</Data>
    <Data Name="CorruptionState">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="HeaderFlags">0x922</Data>
    <Data Name="Severity">关键</Data> //critical
    <Data Name="Origin">文件系统驱动程序</Data> //File system device driver
    <Data Name="Verb">索引偏移</Data> //Index bias
    <Data Name="Description">在文件系统索引结构中发现损坏。文件参考编号为 0x9000000000009。文件名为“<无法确定文件名>”。损坏的索引属性为“:$SII:$INDEX_ROOT”。损坏的索引块位于 Vcn 0xffffffffffffffff,Lcn 0xffffffffffffffff。损坏开始位置在索引块中的偏移 112 处。</Data> //Corruption found in file system index structure. File reference number 0x9000000000009. File name "<Cannot determine file name>", The property of corrupted index is “:$SII:$INDEX_ROOT”. Corrupted index block located at Vcn 0xffffffffffffffff, Lcn 0xffffffffffffffff. Corruption begins at index block bias 112.
    <Data Name="Signature">0xe3bb82f4</Data>
    <Data Name="Outcome">只读卷</Data> //Read-only volume
    <Data Name="SampleLength">0</Data>
    <Data Name="SampleData" />
    <Data Name="SourceFile">0x14</Data>
    <Data Name="SourceLine">4347</Data>
    <Data Name="SourceTag">350</Data>
    <Data Name="AdditionalInfo">0xd00000a2</Data>
    <Data Name="CallStack">Ntfs+0x1a82a6, Ntfs+0xe6d02, Ntfs+0x161285, Ntfs+0x160ced, Ntfs+0x160446, Ntfs+0x16e05f, Ntfs+0xc9534, Ntfs+0x7560, ntoskrnl+0xc4855, ntoskrnl+0x12f725, ntoskrnl+0x1c3dfa</Data>
    </EventData>

</Event>

The issue can't be fixed by CHKDSK /F at system boot. Anyone know how this issue was caused? Thanks!

:)

Iluvatar0, Jun 14, 2019

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Jun 14, 2019
  3. Windows Index won't start

Hi Edward,

Corrupted search catalog files might be a possible cause why you are experiencing an issue with stating the Windows index. To address this concern, we suggest rebuilding your search catalog. Doing so can repair search results and indexing of your Microsoft
    Windows and Microsoft Office system data files.

Follow these steps to rebuild the search catalog:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the Search box, type Indexing, and then choose Indexing Options.
    • Click on Troubleshoot search and indexing.
    • Answer the prompts to successfully run the troubleshooter.

If the same issue persists, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1:

Run the System File Checker tool. It is a utility that allows users to
    scan for corruptions in Windows system and restore corrupted files. The link contains further information about how to run the System File Checker tool.

Method 2:

Run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool. This tool will automatically repair the components of your Windows operating system and records the corruptions to the log file.

To run the DISM tool, follow these steps:

• Using Search, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt on the search results and then select Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Yes.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and then hit Enter.
    • Once the scan is finished, restart your computer.

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Jun 14, 2019
  4. File system index corruption after Win10 1903 update

Search index settings

Hi Samir,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this. This issue may arise due to some corruption or broken index. Kindly refer the below given methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Search and Index troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.
    • Select Troubleshooting. Click on
      and select Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If issue persist, I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

File system index corruption after Win10 1903 update

1. File system index corruption after Win10 1903 update - Similar Threads - File system index

2. Event Viewer: A corruption was found in a file system index structure. The file reference...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event Viewer: A corruption was found in a file system index structure. The file reference...: I was playing a game on my laptop and suddenly, after closing it, the laptop restarted out of nowhere. No bluescreen or anything. Then it proceeded to restart 2 times after that, and it only stopped when i shut it down normally. In event viewer i found many errors relating to...
  3. Event Viewer: A corruption was found in a file system index structure. The file reference...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event Viewer: A corruption was found in a file system index structure. The file reference...: I was playing a game on my laptop and suddenly, after closing it, the laptop restarted out of nowhere. No bluescreen or anything. Then it proceeded to restart 2 times after that, and it only stopped when i shut it down normally. In event viewer i found many errors relating to...
  4. System files corrupted after BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System files corrupted after BSOD: No output devices found because One or more audio service isn't running. Logonvbs.script error when startup File system error -2144926975 when opening pagePlanSettings All of these happened after BSOD caused by Nfts.sys SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0X0000003b Already done sfc...
  5. System files corrupted after BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System files corrupted after BSOD: No output devices found because One or more audio service isn't running. Logonvbs.script error when startup File system error -2144926975 when opening pagePlanSettings All of these happened after BSOD caused by Nfts.sys SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0X0000003b Already done sfc...
  6. Corrupted files after Win10 December updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted files after Win10 December updates: Hello, after last December 2020 Windows 10 v10.0.19042.685 updates are found next errors corrupted same files on two system. How can be possible to repair it, please? Thank you. Attached CBS.log content result from sfc /scannow - partially shorted showed only...
  7. After 1903 update, display corrupted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After 1903 update, display corrupted: After updating old PC with NVidia GTX 1050 ti (latest drivers) the logon screen is fine, but after login I see this. It's a mess. Unable to attempt fix as text is often unreadable. [ATTACH]...
  8. win10 update 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 update 1903: will this update fix missing files and corrupt files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-update-1903/0a4f50d1-5286-47f3-92a7-6ea6c54f3080
  9. OneNote2013 missing in indexing options (Win10-1903)

in Windows 10 Support
    OneNote2013 missing in indexing options (Win10-1903): Ever since updating to 1903 I'm discovering bits of stuff missing, for example, OneNote no longer appears in my list of index options... [ATTACH] ...and my search results are missing many of my OneNote notes. Any ideas on how to restore this. It used to look like this.....
  10. Win10 System Corruption

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 System Corruption: Hello there!I've been having a problem with Win 10 for a while now. I've upgraded from Win 7, and since then I had frequent crashes, bugs etc., so I figured it might have been the fact that some Win7 files are still there and are not compatible. I performed a clean install of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is file system create hard link norton blocked it while updateing to 1903

2. is file system is matter while installing win10

3. Cannot do System Image After Win10 Install of 1903

4. windows 10 1903 corruption