Windows 10: File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:)

Discus and support File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I recently installed a new SSD to use for storage for my steam library. I was able to successfully transfer all my games without an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlejandroZuniga, Nov 28, 2019.

1. File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:)

Hello everyone, I recently installed a new SSD to use for storage for my steam library. I was able to successfully transfer all my games without an issue. I was quite eager to free up my M.2 disk that I wanted to see what else I could transfer to my SSD to free up my M.2. I decided to try move my "Documents" folder there as well and was able to without any issue.

However, I decided later that it would be better to move it back. I thought it would just as easy to move it back. Instead I got "failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under dsystem volume information. access is denied." I didn't know what to do so I followed the advice from this page as so many people had gotten results. I followed the instructions from CamJW.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ectories/3f004479-4a9e-4177-aa09-b7e41e027943

I've realized that my "Documents" folder has been replaced with C:\ where it used to be in the file explorer. When I tried restoring it to the default settings (Properties, location, restore default), I got "Can't redirect a parent into a child. The specified path is invalid."

Help please! I don't really know what has happened and what it will mean for my computer as I continue to use it in the future.

File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:) fd3e84df-b9e7-4dab-aa02-05a617ee9a5d?upload=true.jpg

:)

AlejandroZuniga, Nov 28, 2019

2. replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, Nov 28, 2019
  3. about intel optane memory + NVMe™ M.2 SSD

nitially

intel optane memory M10(16,32,64gb)PCIe NVMe M.2 3.0x2 was for accelerating 2.5'SATA mechanical HDD regardless of which generation intel CPUs.

also note :

not talking about Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (32gb+1tb, 32gb+512gb ,16gb+256gb)PCIe NVMe3.0x4 that comes as a single m.2 drive which is mounted on single m.2 slot

but now why

intel optane memory M15(16,32,64gb)(PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4)is-- paired with --PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSDs {which is mounted on two differnt m.2 slots on 7th ,8th and 9th gen intel CPUs}

what is the purpose

ex: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD + Intel® Optane™ memory 32 GB on (Intel® Core™ i7 9750H) seen from HPs Omen X 2S - 15 Gaming Laptop.

JelittThomas, Nov 28, 2019
  4. worf105 Win User

File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:)

NVMe M.2 SSD cooling

Thanks doorules, pparks1 and Cliff *Biggrin

File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:) [​IMG]

Have still got one of these:

But no ideal place to position it to blow directly over the NVMe drive.

More images of Computer layout:

worf105, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:)

1. File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:) - Similar Threads - File Transfer Nvme

2. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  3. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  4. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. M.2 NVMe SSD is listed as 0.0GB.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    M.2 NVMe SSD is listed as 0.0GB.: Hi,2 days ago I booted Windows normally, however I suddenly encountered a BSOD which led to a momentary message on my screen, "Checking media presence, No media present" which subsequently forced me into BIOS. As I had faced this issue on a previous occasion about a month...
  6. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  7. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  8. NVMe M.2 SSD

NVMe M.2 SSD: Hello, I have the Asus Rog Rampage Extreme Omega motherboard, X299 chipset. Currently, I have the Samsung 970 Pro which is a PCIe 3.0x4. From what I understand my motherboard only supports up to PCIe3.0x4. I also understand that PCIe is backwards compatible. Therefore, if...
  9. Help with nvme m.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with nvme m.2: Need help m.2 nvme card I bought a digifast nvme m.2 and it won’t show up in Windows. I try doing the Disk Management, Initialize Disk but it’s doesn’t show up. When I go into the bios is there I see the m.2 and my ssd card. Help please. X570 gigabyte mobo. Thank you....
  10. Partition an M.2 NVMe?

Partition an M.2 NVMe?: Q1: Has anyone here partitioned a M.2 NVMe drive? Q2: What program did you use to do it? I'm playing with a new rig, just set it up, and fired up Partition Wizard 9.1 free bootable and it does not see the drive. It sees my SATA HDD. The NVMe shows up in BIOS. It is raw,...