Windows 10: File transfer rate question (starts off good, drops to 0, then accelerates)

Discus and support File transfer rate question (starts off good, drops to 0, then accelerates) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I frequently transfer audio files to a USB drive and have noticed something odd about the transfer rate: it always starts off relatively high,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hudson4351, May 8, 2020.

1. File transfer rate question (starts off good, drops to 0, then accelerates)

I frequently transfer audio files to a USB drive and have noticed something odd about the transfer rate: it always starts off relatively high, continues at that rate for a while, drops off rapidly to near 0, then gradually ramps back up. Why is this? I suspect it's due to a buffer of some kind filling up, but is this a software or hardware limitation? The USB port and drive are both 3.0:

Imgur

submitted by /u/hudson4351
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hudson4351, May 8, 2020

2. How to change the drag & drop default bit rate to transfer audio files?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community and sorry for the delayed response.

In order to assist you better could you please confirm a couple of things:

• While dragging and dropping do you get an option to change the bit transfer rate?
    • If yes, have you tried changing the bit rate?
    If you get an option I suggest you to try changing the bit rate manually while dragging and dropping and check if this helps. Also please be informed that its by default your files are being transferred with the bit rate 160 kbps. So you may leave a feedback
    by using the Windows feedback App.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, May 8, 2020
  3. Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0

This is a problem I've seen reported countless times, on Microsoft support sites and elsewhere. Task Manager shows "Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0", and everything that's running on the computer freezes, although sometimes you can switch windows,
    or even perform some operations within a window, but other times
    everything freezes, including the mouse pointer. It usually lasts for 30 or 60 seconds, but sometimes it goes on for several minutes. Then it stops and everything goes back to normal, including Disk active time and Disk transfer rate.

It happens regardless of the apps I'm running or the activities I'm doing. I've even seen it happen with no user apps running at all - no browser, no file manager, nothing but background stuff. It happens every single day, regardless of whether there has
    been a Windows update installed.

Microsoft gave me a fix for this problem a week ago, but it didn't work. Here are the steps I followed:

at admin command line prompt:

• Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • reboot
    • find driver file for Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
      • C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys
    • Details tab from Properties window for controller
      • Device instance path:
        • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA
    • find registry key for disk controller
      • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
      • change MSISupported from 1 to 0
    • reboot
    The instructions I was given include this for Step 4: If you see “StorAHCI.sys” in the list, you are running the inbox driver. But my driver is iaStorA.sys, so maybe this
    fix doesn't even apply to me.

After doing all of the above, twice, I still have the problem. I've seen this now over a period of about three years, on two completely different laptops, one a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 and currently on a Dell running Windows 10. I also have a Thinkpad
    for work that runs W7, and I've never seen it happen on that machine. It got so bad on the Toshiba that I ended up discarding it, after spending countless hours trying to fix it.

I've also tried all the fixes I've found on the web, e.g. disable superfetch, disable BITS, add write permissions to Skype and the browser. Nothing I've found so far has helped. I also reverted Windows back to build 1703. That didn't help either.

NicholasCouch, May 8, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

File transfer rate question (starts off good, drops to 0, then accelerates)

Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

Long shot.

Plug in the USB thumb you normally use, the erratic one. In My PC, make a note of it's drive letter. Eject it.

On the machine in question, the one that is acting weird, go to Device manager.

Click Portable Devices. Look for that drive letter and uninstall (right click>uninstall device) any and all occurrences of it.

Plug the thumb drive back in. Windows will reinstall the driver/device.

Try your operation that was running weird with the fluctuating speeds.

File transfer rate question (starts off good, drops to 0, then accelerates) [​IMG]

f14tomcat, May 8, 2020
Thema:

File transfer rate question (starts off good, drops to 0, then accelerates)

1. File transfer rate question (starts off good, drops to 0, then accelerates) - Similar Threads - File transfer rate

2. Transfer rate...really?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer rate...really?: Hi,Recently, when copying files from one folder to another large parts of folders or large files included, the transfer rate towards the end of the copy dies/goes to zero, and stays there.I have paused and unpaused..no changeI have restarted...no change.It is quite unexpected...
  3. Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes: I've had this issue intermittently the past few months ever since I bought this computer in November last year, but more and more often the past few weeks where my computer will slow down in all aspects, programs will crash, and the computer itself will occasionally blue...
  4. Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes: I've had this issue intermittently the past few months ever since I bought this computer in November last year, but more and more often the past few weeks where my computer will slow down in all aspects, programs will crash, and the computer itself will occasionally blue...
  5. Drop in refresh rate

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drop in refresh rate: Hi,I have connected an LG ultra wide screen to my Windows 10 Surface Pro. I have been mucking around with the settings to try and correct the blurriness. I have succeeded a little bit however I have noted that the refresh rate for the LG monitor has changed from 60Hz down to...
  6. Frame rate drops

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Frame rate drops: I had this problem a few months back but solved it on day when malware bytes detected a virus and i thought the problem was solved, but now its back. The problem is that when I turn on any game but minecraft bedrock only works when not playing multiplayer the game crashes. At...
  7. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0: Hi there, Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer, or trying to access files on this drive. This seems to have occurred after an update, but this may or may not be related....
  8. Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer rate drops to zero and stays very low: [ATTACH] Why is that happening? The transfer rate starts at about 50MB/s and then stays at 0-5MB/s. Its a Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.1 but plugged in my only USB 2.0 port. Still, the speed should be higher than 5MB/s Thank you for any help and sorry if it is the wrong place to...
  9. Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly: Hi everyone, I have recently realized my laptop MSI P65 8RF is having a weird behaviour when transfering files or deleting files to/from my flash drives (Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 128 GB and Kingston Datatraveler Rubber 3.0 32 gb) it happens that it reaches top...
  10. Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly: Hi everyone, I have recently realized my laptop MSI P65 8RF is having a weird behaviour when transfering files or deleting files to/from my flash drives (Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 128 GB and Kingston Datatraveler Rubber 3.0 32 gb) it happens that it reaches top...