Windows 10: file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart

Discus and support file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I do photography and have been using robocopy to maintain large backup drives. This problem has never happened before. Windows 10 Home, fully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JakeMorrison4, Jun 4, 2020.

1. file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart

I do photography and have been using robocopy to maintain large backup drives. This problem has never happened before.

Windows 10 Home, fully up-to-date on a new 2020-02 Dell Inspiron.

I first noticed the robocopy log display pausing every 4 or 500 files for as much as 30 second. After a number of the pauses the USB system did a reset, dropping all drives, keyboard, and mouse, and then registering them again. Robocopy made it through one of those resets but stalled after a second one.

At that time I had two 7-port, powered USB hubs in the two USB 3.0 ports of the computer. Each had three drives on it and data was going between drives on different hubs.

The next day I did a straight copy using the same hardware configuration. There was a similar problem of stalling although Windows Explorer showed it differently. There was no USB reset.

I pared down the hardware by removing all but the two drives involved, still on different hubs. Same problem.

I then put them on the same hub. Same problem.

Next is to put them directly on the computer's USB 3.0 ports.

It feels like a hardware problem to me.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Jake

:)

JakeMorrison4, Jun 4, 2020
  2. Steevo Win User

Cable to transfer files

OMG. I have never met anyone who actually bought one of those file transfer things.

Firewire will do the same as USB, but faster, so will a cheap crossover cable. I can wlak you through the steps of moving data so you will not miss a beat.

Anything more than $10 to buy a cable is too much.

Steevo, Jun 4, 2020
  3. Jessen P Win User
    USB Drive 64gb can't transfer a 10gb file.

Hi,

Please answer the questions mentioned below in order to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try transferring the same file to another USB drive and check if the error persists?
    • Did you try to transfer another file of the same size to the USB drive?
    FAT32 file system does not support that large size of file transfer. As you rightly mentioned you have to convert the file system to NTFS for such huge file transfers to take place.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jun 4, 2020
  4. file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart

Unable to open files on FAT32 Drives (Do not have permission)

Hi Chad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that Windows 10 doesn't support FAT32 formatted drives. I suggest you to take the back up of the files and format the drive in NTFS format. To do so, follow these steps:

• Connect the USB drive to the computer and right click on it.

• Select format and set the file system to
      NTFS(default).

• Select click on Start to format the USB drive.

• Now, transfer the files to the drive and check if you are able to open the files.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart

1. file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart - Similar Threads - file transfers between

2. is it possible to transfer files between computers using a usb cable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it possible to transfer files between computers using a usb cable?: is it possible to transfer files from one computer to another using the usb ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-transfer-files-between-computers/7752d8bc-d55b-4549-88a6-19aa35858f0f
  3. is it possible to transfer files between computers using a usb cable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is it possible to transfer files between computers using a usb cable?: is it possible to transfer files from one computer to another using the usb ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-transfer-files-between-computers/7752d8bc-d55b-4549-88a6-19aa35858f0f
  4. is it possible to transfer files between computers using a usb cable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large data transfer over USB 3 stalls.: I recently bought a... "Rosewill USB to SATA USB 3.0 to Hard Drive Adapter Cable Converter for 2.5 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD Support UASP SATA III with 12V 2A Power Adapter" ... because I have a lot of old SATAII hard drives and I like to back up old files on...
  6. Windows 10 Transfer files between drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Transfer files between drives: I have 2 external drives attached to my Windows 10 computer. Drive A is 8TB, drive B is 4TB. Drive B is running low on space (Drive A has plenty) and I want to transfer/move files from a similar folder on B to A. There are a lot of Sub folders and files in both locations....
  7. Slow USB Drive File Transfer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow USB Drive File Transfer: Hello All Some reason both my most used systems having slow usb drive file transfer, Desktop & Laptop, Desktop is brand new motherboard, processor, and not yet a clean install ((soon will do one soon as i can)), but right now just wanna improve usb drive performance if i...
  8. Sudden drop in transfer speed between SSDs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden drop in transfer speed between SSDs: [ATTACH] I was copying files from my NVMe SSD to the SATA SSD and the speed dropped by like 75% to 70-80MB/s. Both drives are fairly new so I'm not sure what might be the cause. I checked and see that the Shadow Copy service is set to Manual, so I don't think that's the...
  9. Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?: Not sure where to post this, but... I’m currently awaiting a TPM module for my PC. Will use it in conjunction with BitLocker. Question, if I encrypt my drive, as long as I’m logged in to the encrypted PC, I assume I can still transfer files and folders between encrypted...
  10. Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines

in Windows 10 Support
    Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines: Hi, have searched for this problem online, but cannot find an answer, perhaps not asking the right question. Recently had to reinstall Win 10 on my desktop to fix various issues, now I cannot transfer files on a USB from my Win 10 machine to a Win 7 laptop. The files...