Windows 10: File transfers stop every 5 seconds

Discus and support File transfers stop every 5 seconds in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I copy a file from my PC (typically the source is a 970 Pro 1TB), to an internal disk on my file server over my 10Gbit network it starts at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wobitancrawfodi, May 29, 2020.

1. File transfers stop every 5 seconds

When I copy a file from my PC (typically the source is a 970 Pro 1TB), to an internal disk on my file server over my 10Gbit network it starts at 1.1GB/s then drops to zero, where it stays for 20-30 seconds, then goes back up to 1.10GB/s for 2-3 seconds, then drops to 0 again. This repeats until the file is copied.

If I copy the file to a drive attached to the server via USB I get a solid 220 - 240MB/s

I upgraded to Windows Server 2019 (1809), from Windows Server 2012 R2. There was a reason, apart from 2012 R2 mainstream support ending in 2018, something wasn't compatible... I just don't recall what that was.

On 2012 R2 copies would vary between 800 - 1100MB/s but would never stop

I also installed a new 12TB drive around the same time.

So, without going back to Server 2012 R2 to prove it, I don;t what else to do.

The drives are either ST10000VN0022 (x6), or ST12000VN0008 (x5). Network is all 10Gbit.

My gut tells me it sounds like a caching issue, but caching is enabled on all drives.

Before I go spend a day re-installing 2012 R2 to prove if that's the cause, any one have any other ideas what might cause this behavior across all internal disks?

EDIT: I've run chkdsk and defrag over all drives.

:)

Wobitancrawfodi, May 29, 2020
  2. Steevo Win User

Cable to transfer files

OMG. I have never met anyone who actually bought one of those file transfer things.

Firewire will do the same as USB, but faster, so will a cheap crossover cable. I can wlak you through the steps of moving data so you will not miss a beat.

Anything more than $10 to buy a cable is too much.

Steevo, May 29, 2020
  3. rss81 Win User
    transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, May 29, 2020
  4. Munki Win User

File transfers stop every 5 seconds

GUIDE:How to transfer contacts from Microsoft Outlook to Gmail

I'm sitting here in the office, its the end of the year in the school system, and several employees transferring to alternative counties. With this it brings loads of transferring contacts to take with them from their company phone. Well, this one in particular sparked a guide idea. So here it is, How to transfer Outlook contacts to your Gmail account.

Step 1: Sign in to your outlook account.
    step 2 In the top left hand corner click File > Import/Export > Export to file > Browse to desired place to save your file > export. Be sure you export the file as .csv (comma separated values)
    Step 3 Log into your Gmail account
    Step 4 Select 'Contacts' In the subsection you will see a 'Import' button on the right-hand side. Click it.
    Step 5 Browse to the location where you saved it > Open it > Click Import.

I would have provided pictures, but I use neither Outlook or Gmail. Hope someone somewhere gets some use from this. *Toast :toast:

=Munki=

Munki, May 29, 2020
Thema:

File transfers stop every 5 seconds

1. File transfers stop every 5 seconds - Similar Threads - File transfers stop

2. Ping spike every 5 seconds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ping spike every 5 seconds.: Hi everyone,On the second pc we have, there is wifi. It's a computer with windows 10.The ping is perfect when it start up, and if nothing is done on it, nothing happen.But when i'm playing, about ~30 minutes into the game, the problem start. It's like every 5 seconds there is...
  3. Ping spike every 5 seconds.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ping spike every 5 seconds.: Hi everyone,On the second pc we have, there is wifi. It's a computer with windows 10.The ping is perfect when it start up, and if nothing is done on it, nothing happen.But when i'm playing, about ~30 minutes into the game, the problem start. It's like every 5 seconds there is...
  4. Ping spike every 5 seconds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Monitor blinks every 5 seconds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor blinks every 5 seconds.: Windows 10 Home 64b. 21H2Windows updated day before yesterday. Started yesterday, monitor blinks every 6 seconds. Is this issue a Windows one or the monitor, please?Thanks. Chuenmon...
  6. Monitor blinks every 5 seconds.

Monitor blinks every 5 seconds.: Windows 10 Home 64b. 21H2Windows updated day before yesterday. Started yesterday, monitor blinks every 6 seconds. Is this issue a Windows one or the monitor, please?Thanks. Chuenmon...
  7. Plantronics Voyager stops working in every 5 seconds - Win11

Plantronics Voyager stops working in every 5 seconds - Win11: Hi everyone!I have a very strange issue which started in the last week. I have a Plantronics Voyager 4220 with BT600 bluetooth connection.It works properly on Win10 in the past 5 years without issues but it doesn't work on Win11.If I open the sound settings tab it starts to...
  8. Plantronics Voyager stops working in every 5 seconds - Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plantronics Voyager stops working in every 5 seconds - Win11: Hi everyone!I have a very strange issue which started in the last week. I have a Plantronics Voyager 4220 with BT600 bluetooth connection.It works properly on Win10 in the past 5 years without issues but it doesn't work on Win11.If I open the sound settings tab it starts to...
  9. File transfers stop every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File transfers stop every 5 seconds: When I copy a file from my PC (typically the source is a 970 Pro 1TB), to an internal disk on my file server over my 10Gbit network it starts at 1.1GB/s then drops to zero, where it stays for 20-30 seconds, then goes back up to 1.10GB/s for 2-3 seconds, then drops to 0 again....
  10. Restarting every 5 Seconds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restarting every 5 Seconds: Hey first of all sorry for my bad English it’s not my main language. I have a Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming notebook. My Laptop made today a Update and during the Update he restarted and 5 seconds later he turned off he repeated this for a hour. Then I decided to press F2...