Windows 10: File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10

Discus and support File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I delete Word docs in one directory, they disappear from another. If I restore them from recycle bin, they restore to both. Ultimately, I'd like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidKopf, Dec 27, 2019.

1. DavidKopf Win User

File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10

If I delete Word docs in one directory, they disappear from another. If I restore them from recycle bin, they restore to both. Ultimately, I'd like to delete the archaic Windows7 subdirectory which was original with the machine, and rely on docs moved to a directory above. Where might I go to learn about this?

DETAILS: Office 2007 documents are stored in an old original with machine Windows 7/Users/David/. The machine now runs Windows 10, so there is a full file tree above Windows 7 folder. I'd like to move all the document files from Windows7 directory TO folder structure above ThisPC/Documents/Word or ThisPC/Documents/Excel, etcetera. I am not concerned about leaving the revisions behind in the Window7 subdirectory.

My goal is to delete the archaic and unneeded Windows 7 folder structure and operatel cleanly with Windows 10.

:)

DavidKopf, Dec 27, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 27, 2019
  3. Lack of proper file structure with DLNA media sharing through WMP12 after windows 10 upgrade

Hi.

I have a very similar problem with DNLA file (photo) sharing from Windows 10: My photos are organized in a folder tree on my PC: Year/month/event etc. Sharing the root folder from my old PC with Windows 7, I could step down through the folder hierarchy on
    my Panasonic TV with Firefox OS. Having moved the folder tree to my new Windows 10 PC, this is no longer possible. I can choose to see "Folders" on the TV, but then all folders (from all levels of the tree) are shown randomly in a flat structure. And the process
    takes forever, when there are many folders and photos.

A solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jorgen

Jørgen Hald, Dec 27, 2019
  4. File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10

Can we get Quick Access with a tree structure?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry to let you know that we cannot get Quick Access in a tree structure. This design is by default however, you can always provide your feedback/suggestion in the feedback app.

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10

1. File Tree structure - Document moves from Old OS to Win 10 - Similar Threads - File Tree structure

2. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS: I had an issue the other week with my original SSD in my XPS15 9560 that caused to OS to corrupt and become unusable. I didn't want to re-image that hard drive and lose all my files in the process so I decided to upgrade to a new SSD with more storage. I though I would able...
  3. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS: I had an issue the other week with my original SSD in my XPS15 9560 that caused to OS to corrupt and become unusable. I didn't want to re-image that hard drive and lose all my files in the process so I decided to upgrade to a new SSD with more storage. I though I would able...
  4. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File Tree / How to move a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Tree / How to move a file: So is there a "Move File" button in the file explorer or can we just not do that anymore? As a student, I have many files to organize so I've made lots of folders to organize them. Is there a convenient way to move several documents anymore or do I just have to drag each file...
  6. File Tree / How to move a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Tree / How to move a file: So is there a "Move File" button in the file explorer or can we just not do that anymore? As a student, I have many files to organize so I've made lots of folders to organize them. Is there a convenient way to move several documents anymore or do I just have to drag each file...
  7. don't understand windows 10 documents file structure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    don't understand windows 10 documents file structure: I am attempting to clean up and streamline my file structure on my Windows 10 desktop computer. everything is messed up because I've upgraded and upgraded and upgraded since the 90's without ever really doing a clean install. However I do not understand how the documents,...
  8. Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?: I was working on building a new computer for my brother, that he hoped would still be a win 7 / Win 10 dual boot. The issue he had with his old PC was that if he opened Win 7, the first thing it would often do was to decide things were broken and scan and "fix" all the...
  9. File Explorer Tree Structure changed

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Tree Structure changed: My Windows was set up badly and I was trying to make my User desktop be my laptop desktop. I changed the location of my user Desktop to C: and now My file explorer structure looks like this: [img] how do i get it back to normal with "This PC" at the top of the tree 160908
  10. How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move EFI Partition from old drive to new drive with Win 10 OS: I reinstalled a clean copy of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Build 1809) onto an empty partition (320 GB) on a new 1 TB hard drive, leaving the remaining space (611 GB) unallocated. After the installation, I deleted the prior OS partition where the previous Windows 10 was installed...